MATHEMATICS...‏

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Mathematics:

This comes from 2 math teachers with a combined total of 70 yrs. experience. It has an indisputable mathematical logic.

This is a strictly mathematical viewpoint..it goes like this:

What Makes 100%?

What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?

Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%?

We have all been to those meetings where someone wants you to give over 100%.

How about achieving 103%?

What makes up 100% in life?

Here's a little mathematical formula to help you answer these questions:

If: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

is represented as: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26.

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But ,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

And,

B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

AND, look how far a$$ kissing gets you.

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty, that while Hard work and Knowledge will get you close, and Attitude will get you 100%, it’s the Bullshit andAss Kissingthat will put you over the top.

Now you know why, & how our political leaders give the general public more than 100% ....!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Austin, it's getting that way everywhere. The 'new math'? Bunch of BS in my way of thinking. I remember my wife's brother was having trouble with some of the newer math. This was in the mid 60s, back in Texas. After looking at the problem, I discovered all it was asking was to count the 'pipes' in a stack. Talk about dumbing down the kids!
Also in the 80s, my daughter was having some math problems. She showed me a problem, I explained how to find the answer, and she worked it ok. Next day she came home, telling me that the teacher wasn't happy with the way she showed her work. Showed me how the teacher said it should be done. I don't remember all about it, but I told my daughter she would have to do it the way the teacher told her to do it, but it was the biggest bunch of BS I'd ever seen.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Math in high school was easy for me, but many times I had a problem marked wrong due to the way I arrived at a correct answer. Over the years I've found easier ways to solve math. Another thing.....'in the old days', we were taught weird ways to get a percentage of a number. Then I figured "OF" means to MULTIPLY (and watch your decimal point). Example: 32.2% of 89 = .322 X 89 = 28.65(8). (Generally, the thousandth numeral is not necessary except in crucial calculations ---weight of precious metals, jewels, money, etc). Remember...."OF" means to multiply, and that was never taught in schools !

Last edited:
S

stefen

In the early 70's I was taking a college level Final Surveying Exam.

The Prof (Air Force Major) gave us a set of problems and 2 sheets of blank paper to use for figuring the problems.

At the end of the hour I passed my completed exam in along with 2 blank sheets of paper. This was when skide rules were still in vogue.

The Prof gave me a 'Eyes-in-the-look' and said it wasn't possible to do.

I took my HP-35 hand held computer and showed him why the paper wasn't needed.

He argued that the HP35 wasn't allowed...in fact, it was one of the first on the market.

Told him that I would redo the test in his presence or as an option, I could file a complaint...

I passed 100%.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goose-O, when I went to school, 1948 - 1960, we were told that 'of' meant the same thing as 'multiply' when it came to fractions or percentages. I also had very little trouble with math in school. My biggest problem was remembering a formula!
I made it through 2nd year algebra, then needed an extra credit for graduation. They allowed me to 'brush up' on my math! Yes, I took general math in my senior year of high school.
After working for two years, I decided to go to college. My first 'math' was advanced algebra; and we used slide rules a bit. I had forgotten so much! Not long before mid-term exams, we were given 10 problems. My grade was about the middle. (Only one student in a class of 20+ passed that exam!) That was about the time I met a girl, dropped out, and got married.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions