Engineer designs 'glitter bomb' to get revenge on porch pirates who stole his package

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/former...venge-on-porch-pirates-who-stole-two-packages

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

A former NASA engineer took matters into his own hands after he had a package stolen off of the porch of his California home in the middle of the day seven months ago.

Mark Rober attempted to get the police involved and even caught the thieves on camera, but he said authorities told him that it wasn’t "worth their time" to check into, he said in a YouTube video posted Monday.

Rober explained in the video that his “revenge bait” was an inspiration from the movie “Home Alone.” He disguised the package as an Apple HomePod Box, which would also be GPS-enabled. He would also record the theft with cellphones.

And once the thief picked up the package, a glitter bomb attached to the package would go off.

“Ultimately, when they opened the package, I wanted to celebrate their choice of profession with a cloud of glitter,” Rober said in the video clip.

He also programmed a can of “fart spray” to go off on top of the glitter, adding insult to injury.

Rober, who helped design hardware being used on the Mars Curiosity Rover, said it took six months to put the special package together.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the vid - so fricken funny when the glitter and fart spray went off on the thiefs!

Geeks Rule!!!!!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/former...venge-on-porch-pirates-who-stole-two-packages

By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

A former NASA engineer took matters into his own hands after he had a package stolen off of the porch of his California home in the middle of the day seven months ago.

Mark Rober attempted to get the police involved and even caught the thieves on camera, but he said authorities told him that it wasn’t "worth their time" to check into, he said in a YouTube video posted Monday.

Rober explained in the video that his “revenge bait” was an inspiration from the movie “Home Alone.” He disguised the package as an Apple HomePod Box, which would also be GPS-enabled. He would also record the theft with cellphones.

And once the thief picked up the package, a glitter bomb attached to the package would go off.

“Ultimately, when they opened the package, I wanted to celebrate their choice of profession with a cloud of glitter,” Rober said in the video clip.

He also programmed a can of “fart spray” to go off on top of the glitter, adding insult to injury.

Rober, who helped design hardware being used on the Mars Curiosity Rover, said it took six months to put the special package together.

you have to get mean maybe some paint thinner or angry hornets

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Inspiration ... reminds me of my days in E&I training.

Wait, that got me kicked out of school.

It was still funny looking at the trouble maker standing in the parking lot holding my "game" while he was crying with the front of his pants soaked because he peed himself.

You can do fun stuff with a few switches, some blinking lights, a big honkin radial ceramic capacitor, and a cassette tape case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions