Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is a true story --- I, Chadeaux was there to witness it:

One day I was working with my late boss (Don Gammel) when he got a phone call from a foreign company trying to loan him money on a signature loan. He just smiled, snickered a bit and then asked her, "Okay, how much money do you need?" This really confused her. By now he had put her on the speaker phone.

"No sir, we are offering to loan you money!"

About this time his grin got bigger. "But we don't need any money. We have TOO MUCH money here and we need to get rid of some! How much do YOU need?"

By this time everyone on the sales floor was trying to hold in their laughter . . .

"No sir, you don't understand! We are offering to loan you some money!" she said.

By now he was audibly giggling at her, "But I told you, WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE MONEY! WE ALREADY HAVE TOO MUCH! HOW MUCH MONEY CAN I LOAN YOU?"

Now the whole sales floor was laughing --- out loud.

Embarassed, the nice oriental lady shyly said: "Bye."

Said all that to say that I finally got the nerve to try it today. Works as good as ever, so I thought I'd pass this tip along.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I likie it I get those calls all the time

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Wife answers those calls with, " Hello! You are on the air with Dr. Ruth, What's your question?"

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story! I think that would have been a great time for everyone at your work to ask for a raise since your boss said we already have too much money!

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great story! I think that would have been a great time for everyone at your work to ask for a raise since your boss said we already have too much money!

Do you remember Andy Griffith's character "Sheriff Andy Taylor" from down in Mayberry? Make his hair gray, give him an Arkansas drawl, and add 30 years to him and you would have my late boss. You didn't have to ask him for a raise. A very generous man.

If he saw you were doing your best, he found a way to give you a raise -- unlike his son (my current boss) who thinks you should be able to live well in 2020 on what wasn't quite enough in 2011.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread