Ramps [Websters] :wild leek...strongly flavored bulbs eaten especially in Appal

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Ramps [Webster's] :wild leek...strongly flavored bulbs eaten especially in Appal

Art and Larry were fantastic guys that ran a terminal in Laredo,TX for a trucking company I was leased to for many years.
They came to work early each morning and cooked a light breakfast of eggs,onions,peppers and chorizzo wrapped into fresh tortillas.Drivers they liked were invited in for breakfast.
I'd been home in WV for a while when I got a load out of Baltimore to Laredo.Hillbilly hospitality being what it is,I dug and cleaned a half bushel of ramps to take to Art and Larry.
Fast foreward to Laredo...They tried a few ramps in the scrambled eggs and sent out for more eggs,onions,peppers,sausage,and tortillas.
Breakfast,brunch,lunch,snack until the quarter bushel of cleaned ramps was gone.
The next morning I walked into the office and there sat Illario;who also was a team roper and rodeo cowboy;looking like a raccoon.
"My God ! Larry ! What happened ? Horse kick you ?"
"Senior Jim,"he responded with a houndog mournful look in his swollen eyes,"Them ramps was pretty damn good.There was just one thing you forgot to tell us...Don't eat alla them,have a few beers with your friends after work and then go home and fart in the house !"
Mrs.Larry worked him with a cast iron skillet !
God bless you Ilarrio Vidauri,I miss you and Art both.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Re: Ramps [Webster's] :wild leek...strongly flavored bulbs eaten especially in Appal

Anyone who hasn't had a few good messes of ramps in the spring of the year just don't know
what they're missing . They are great raw , mixed in with scrambled eggs , chopped up in a big ole
skillet of fried potatoes & numerous other ways . My family even makes a ramp salad out of them .
In WV when it's ramp digging time the fire dept's , grange , lions club , churches & numerous
other groups sponser ramp dinners for fund raisers . I'd never survive till summer without having
ramps in the spring . It will be ramp digging time in about a month & I hadn't even thought about
it yet . Now my mouth is watering & I can't wait . How many of you people in other states have ramps ?

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Re: Ramps [Webster's] :wild leek...strongly flavored bulbs eaten especially in Appal

You missed pickling them and burying them in buckets of sand to extend the enjoyment all year.
The story I told is true.
You also neglected to mention that ramp 'benefit'[?]
LOL Jim

Andy_WV

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Fairmont, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter Discovery 2200

My whole family goes camping together on a small trout stream in southern WV that time of year. We all get together and dig a grocery bag each, including the kids with a little help from the adults. When we get back to the camp all the women and a few of the guys start cleaning and cooking. I always skip out and take the kids fishing for a while. After we get back I clean the fish we caught, stuff them full of ramps and a little butter, wrap them in foil, and set up a rotisserie of green wood (so it doesn’t catch fire). Cook a while on one side and then the other until the foil starts to swell up. After you try this once you will look forward to spring every year. It is better than any gourmet fish I have ate at high end establishments. Makes me home sick... and hungry.

It is a bit amusing that the only three people that have posted on the subject is from WV... Some people just don't know what they are missing... LOL.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

Andy_WV said:
Some people just don't know what they are missing... LOL.

No they don't Andy. I miss em, haven't had any in years. I know where my grandparents actually successfully transplanted them to a damp hillside in Farmington. I'm sure they have spread and probably just as good as ever.

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread