Yes, an animal was hurt making this

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True story. This last Tuesday my 6-year-old grandson was over for a visit. My wife has a new puppy that was out on the back porch with my grandson. All of a sudden, I heard the puppy growl and snap at him. When I got to the porch, I noticed the puppy was eating out of the big dog's food dish. My grandson reached into the dish again to pet the puppy and, again, the puppy snarled and bit at him. I told him to move over and I put my hand in the dish by the puppy. Sure enough, the puppy snapped at me. I smacked that pup upside the head with my open hand. No way am I going to keep a dog around that may bite people. She whinned and ran off the porch.
My grandson followed her off the porch while giving her reassuring comments like, "It's okay Tuffie" etc., etc. I told him to quit talking nice to the dog because I'm trying to teach her a lesson. His response to me was, "Sure you are Pappa. You know, she doesn't have anyone. She doesn't have any friends. All she has is some jerk that slaps her around and beats her up." Astonished at his remarks, I asked, "Is that right Nolan, and just who might that be?" His response then was "Well, I'm not calling you a jerk but, you did just beat her up!" I had to rush into the house to keep from laughing in front of him. (I'm sorry PETA people, I don't have the time or money to put this dog through therapy, it's just the way life is)

S

stefen

Depending where you are in life, there are times when you need to show your animals who is dominant...and early training will eleviate the animals attempts to call your bluff.

In addition, there is always someone who has a differing view whether its a child or a vet...they each will use sympathetic tactics.

In the mid-80's I bought a Peruvian Paso from a neighboring breeded and immediately broke it to saddle, trailer and trail. However, as a result of the breeded / owner, the horse had developed numerous bad habits that took the pleasure out of having this animal. For instance, it would throw its head back and try to cold-cock me...a large steel nut tied to its forelock quickly solved that problem. Cow-kicking and kicking out became a more dangerous and pronounced issue.

So I turned my Peruvian over to Rusty Richards, who in addition to beings a singer / muscian (the yodeler of the Sons of The Pioneers) was a horse trainer for the Hollywood studios and actor horsey-set.

One of the worst traits was that when approached he would swing around and kick out...

The first thing Rusty did was to take the horse into a fully enclosed 12' high walled bull pen and using a buggy whip, taught the horse some respectful manners. (Rusty would not let most owners view his methods)

The second thing Rusty did was to use a 'War Bridle' technique to train or (correct the bad traits) of the horse in a series of single lessons...usually only took one lesson for each problem...

You seldom hear or have an opportunity to view a war bridle technique in actual use, but with this and some other old-time training techniques, I ended up with a extremely well trained horse in a very short time.

If you know anything about horses, they quickly respond to pain and will do anything to get away from it...so the introduction of pain becomes a instant motivator...

Brutal...maybe.

Would I do this again...you bet.

Unfortunately the horse was mistreated from infancy and if the handled properly in the beginning, would have been a model animal without fault. My daughters filly was hand treated from infancy and one day she jumped on her back and began riding from that day forward totally without a pad or bridle...just body signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread