old Nike Missle sites

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no. the property is all posted. the cops have their shooting range very close by. deer ticks infest the surrounding woods.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
And the worst part is the two deadly chemicals they used to fuel the rockets! They had to use special rubber gloves to fuel them. A lot was spilled. Frank...

skull etc 013-1-platinum_edited-3.jpg

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do all type of treasure hunting in and around Stratford, Connecticut.

banshee89

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone in or near Manchester do the old Nike Missle site??

Yes, but not with a MD just exploring.

The Radar site still has buildings on it owned and used by the town.

Dont worry about the deer ticks... use repellent with 25% deet.

It is not all posted. The radar and launch sites are both owned by the town. The range is posted well and there is no question if you get close to it.

The Nike Hercules missile had a solid fuel motor....... so I'm not sure what armchair warrior came up with the fuel spill claims.

There was also a launch and radar facillity located in the meshomasic state forest in Portland. Again the land is state owned (you know...owned by the public) and there are walking trails all around.

Explore at will although I don't think you are going to find much other than scrap metal. The sites where built in the 50s and only used for about 10 years and to my knowledge nothing was on either site prior to 1950. Military facilities and personnel where also held to higher standards than civilian sites, so they did not drop or loose much. Not to mention the fact that both sites where bulldozed flat and a lot of dirt was moved around, with the exception of the radar site in Manchester which is still in use.

But you never know........... have fun.

Last edited:

Aug 21, 2014
Central, CT area
Detector(s) used
Garrett XL200, Whites classic 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ive been up there geocaching... its a cool spot to check out. last I was a year ago no signs were posted about any PD shooting range... the PD shooting range in NewBritain is a hike away from the nike site. if you get close then you will see posted signs no to enter.

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meshomasic state forest is big woods in Glastonbury/Portland has several old Nike Sites. Deer hunt up there.

(Sorry to bump an old thread)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread