newbie advice

S

sunnfox

hi all, I have been "lurking and reading your posts. Sounds like MDing can be fun! I am handicapped and was wondering if anyone you know who is handicapped does it? I would like to buy a detector for my neice who is 14. Not the most expensive, or cheapest.But ez to use.and read. I would appreciate suggestions. Also what features are most important. How are the Bounty Hunters Brand? thanks for any help. We are from New Britain ct. but have been invited to Rock Spring Ga for summer vaca. Step son has just bought a homestead there which is 33 acres of old farm property. We want to md there then. thanks for any help. Merilyn

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome Merilyn

What is the Most you would Spend ?

I think the Garrett ACE 250 would be a Great Choice.
Not only is it a Good Detector.
It's Supposedly Easy to learn
& definately Light.

They run around $200

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, What do you consider Handicapped ?

I met a Deaf Person who used to Hunt.
He also used to hit the Club "Planted Hunt" Circuit.
and used a Minelab Excalibur.
He heard through Vibrations.

I have Hunted in the past with a One armed man
also. he was the First person I'v ever detected with.
and that was about 35 years ago. he's still at it.

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro
The White's Prizm II for $200.00 or the Ace 250 for $212.50 would be a good starter machine thats light and easy to use. Both are good quality machines that wont break the bank. Bounty Hunter I personally cant reccomend. For the amount of land you have you might look into the Tesoro Cibola for $340.00. Great machine, more depth, lighter weight, lifetime warranty. No id though works off tones only.

OP
OP
S

sunnfox

Wow that was fast! the suggestions are just what I was looking for and $200.00 is right too. Not too cheap so she can't get the hang of it and not too expensive, in case she loses interest and gets into "boys" soon. bty by handicapped I meant, I am without a leg, so I use a scooter to get around. So I can't go trecking thru woods I guess. I am not even sure I could go on a beach. But I am sure there are alot of places I could still go, like parks, flat ground, fields. etc. Thanks for the warm welcome, I will stick around and listen in some more if you don't mind, maybe I will learn something. thanks again!!!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Jeff is correct in his recommendation of the ACE250.Great detector.And glad you decided to jump in here.Lots of good people and vast array of knowledge that is given freely.Welcome aboard and sign that niece up also as we have several teens onboard.

OP
OP
S

sunnfox

Sometimes the good free advice and new friends are the best treasures you find. Keep Smiling

OP
OP
S

sunnfox

Oh, and BTW Dont forget to set the clocks ahead tonight one hour. You loose an hours sleep but gain an extra hour of daylight for finding all those treasures! Keep Smiling!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sunnfox said:
Oh, and BTW Dont forget to set the clocks ahead tonight one hour. You loose an hours sleep but gain an extra hour of daylight for finding all those treasures! Keep Smiling!

LOL your a day late ;D

Hoosier Kingfisher

Feb 26, 2007
Central Indiana
Some towns have areas with a grass strip between sidewalk and street. Could you ride the sidewalk and detect the strip? People pbobably lost coins there pulling their keys out of their pockets. Good luck,Ron

OP
OP
S

sunnfox

THATS ME, A DOLLAR SHORT AND A DAY LATE! LOL AT LEAST AN HOUR LATE, ALL DAY TODAY I GUESS. WHATS EVEN FUNNIER IS HUBBIE CHANGED THEM ALL LAST NIGHT, THEN TURNED THEM BACK THIS MORN BECAUSE HE THOUGHT HE HAD MADE A MISTAKE AND WASNT SUPPOSE TO TURN THEM BACK UNTILL TONIGHT! GEE, ITS A BUMMER TO GET OLD...LOL

OP
OP
S

sunnfox

Noticed that ,and was planning on checking in with you on maybe a used one for neice and maybe I could get a new one for myself. That 250 thingy suggested sounded interesting. Soon as the wind dies downand I can be comfortable venturing outside...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread