Anyone in the Mansfield/Willimantic area in CT?

ruccello

Jun 19, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I live in Mansfield Center and have just started detecting in the area. I discovered a great park in Willimantic - dated 1915, and detected it last weekend. Lots of junk, had a signal every step I took. Dug for 4 hours, managed to pull one 1919 cent. The park looks very promising, but a lot of work. Found a cellar hole in a state park close by and found some iron relics - horseshoe nail puller, horseshoe, square nails, wrench - tons of iron in the area - also found the old well. Looking for other detectorists in the area to maybe hunt with. If you are in the area and want to share info, let me know. Also interested in hitting the beach this fall, and possibly sites along the CT river. I hunt with my girlfriend, and we also bottle hunt - anything that has to do with finding treasure, we're into it!

Richard

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Not sure if your still around, but I'm in Coventry, right down the road from Mansfield.

I'm curious as to which parks you are talking about.
Would also be interested in tagging along with you.

Pm me.

ctjed

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2008
Please be careful hunting state parks in CT. Some areas are off limits. I found this on this site. It might be helpful.

STATE OF CONNECTICUT
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION, STATE PARKS DIVISION

POLICY/PROCEDURE #312 October 31, 2002
Revised 3/4/08

SUBJECT: METAL DETECTION - COLLECTING GUIDELINES

SECTION INDEX: I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES

I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES

The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection under the following conditions:

1. The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid of vegetation. However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach area proper. Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited. All holes dug must be refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.

2. The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other purposes.

3. Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found. The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge. Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle.

4. No specific permit is required at this time.

5. Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant artifactual remains.

Page 1 of 2

The use of metal detectors is prohibited at the following state park areas:

Airline Trail State Park – Colchester
Bluff Point State Park - Groton
Continental Army Hospital Memorial - West Hartford
Dinosaur State Park - Rocky Hill
Ft. Griswold Battlefield State Park - Groton
Ft. Trumbull State Park – New London
Gay City State Park – Hebron
Gillette Castle State Park – East Haddam (prohibition includes all of the park property adjacent to the CT River.)
Industrial Monument – North Canaan
Lovers Leap State Park – New Milford
Macedonia Brook State Park – Kent
Mashamoquet Brook State Park – Pomfret
Putnam Memorial State Park - Redding
Southford Falls State Park – Southbury
Stoddard Hill Boating Access - Ledyard

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ctjed -Thanks for posting that information. I hadn't seen it before.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for friends to search parks and beaches in and around Bridgeport, Connecticut. Have detector, no car. I am retired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread