OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job finding the war nickel, I love finding those.. When I search brinks nickel boxes with the clear wrappers, I always look at the edge of the nickel roll and guess if I find a war nickel or not. 9 times out of 10 a war nickel has a brownish, discolored edge or a really dirty edge.

Good luck with the nickel box!

Thanks Buff. Yeah once again nickels help out a little when the halves don't produce lol. And I was kinda surprised to find so many early date Jefferson nickels from just $20. I got $30 in loose half dollars from that same bank so I gave the teller $50 and just told her to give $20 in nickels too. But now I wish I had bought more nickels from there. I bought the nickel box from another bank on Friday but maybe I can find a couple of good keepers in there too. And I don't get the Brinks clear wrapped nickels anymore myself like I used too. It seems all my mwr nickels these days are Dunbar with the blue and white wrappers. They seem to produce pretty good but I imagine nickels are pretty consistent with all the suppliers. That's what I like best about nickels....the consistency and variety of keepers they produce. :)

H$H!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like our end of the week halves were a bit skunky.

Congrats on the nickel. That's a 2400% increase on your investment! That's one thing I like about the silver dimes: 1500% increase on the investment. 40% halves are only a 650% increase (still decent, twice the silver weight of a dime, but five times the expense). I hope you find some more war nickels. I'm all out of coins until next week.

Yeah neither one of us had any luck with our end of the week boxes like we were hoping. And you're right, that's another good thing about silver nickels - they have the most silver % of fv of any silver coin which is something else I like about nickels too. Btw, I was noticing earlier it seems we've both had good luck with cwr half dollar scores in February in the past couple of years. I was lucky with two nice cwr scores of about 60 keepers each in February 2012 and u had a very similar cwr score with about the exact same number of keepers (including 2 Barbers) in February last year. So far this year my luck has been with boxes and I've only found 6 silver halves in cwr's which I got at the very beginning of the year on Jan 3rd. But the month isn't over yet - maybe at least one of us can get lucky again with another February cwr score again. And I'm still hoping to find my first Barber sometime soon too. If not this month, maybe sometime later this year would sure be nice lol. :)

H$H!

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here Dunbar nickels are ok, garda nickels are junk and brinks nickels are the best.
Thanks Buff. Yeah once again nickels help out a little when the halves don't produce lol. And I was kinda surprised to find so many early date Jefferson nickels from just $20. I got $30 in loose half dollars from that same bank so I gave the teller $50 and just told her to give $20 in nickels too. But now I wish I had bought more nickels from there. I bought the nickel box from another bank on Friday but maybe I can find a couple of good keepers in there too. And I don't get the Brinks clear wrapped nickels anymore myself like I used too. It seems all my mwr nickels these days are Dunbar with the blue and white wrappers. They seem to produce pretty good but I imagine nickels are pretty consistent with all the suppliers. That's what I like best about nickels....the consistency and variety of keepers they produce. :)

H$H!

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have said I just get both Dunbar and String nickels these days. The nickel box I got for the wknd is a String box with blue and white String wrappers. Both boxes and wrappers look pretty similar to me. Is there anyway of knowing who the carrier is that supplies the String boxes without seeing the delivery trucks? There's no way to tell from just looking at the boxes right?

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my banks has dime boxes which say Brinks on the outside. So, I assume their half boxes (square brown) come from Brinks. Another bank I dump into has dime boxes that are not labeled on the outside, but all the rolls say Loomis. So, I have been assuming that they would get their dimes and halves from the same source. Seems reasonable but could be a faulty assumption.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the tellers, they should be able to tell you who delivers the coin. My brinks boxes say brinks on them with the exception of the half dollar box, but the half dollar rolls say BRINKS on them. As for the other coin providers in my area, you just have to see the truck in the parking lot or just ask the head teller who they use. 9 times out of 10 they will tell you. (If they even know)

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
2/18:
$1 dollar: clad Ike
$15 loose halves: skunk

2/20:
$500 (String) half box #12: 2 x 40% (2 x '67), '66 British Penny, '08 25 Pesos
$500 (String) half box #13: 2 x 40% ('67, '68D), 1 x 90% ('64) and an '04D dime

Well I had a couple of decent boxes today. I found a total of 5 silver and 2 foreign coins including my first British Penny. These were some of the nastiest coins I've ever gotten from boxes. The rolls had a lot of dirt and debris in them and I even found a beat up dime in one roll. But as long as I found some silver I'm happy. I have two more half boxes to p/u on Monday from another bank where I got the good Dunbar box earlier this month. And I'll probably get some nickels for the wknd too.

So after today's two boxes I now have a total of
57 silver keepers for the year which still gives me slightly more than a one silver keeper per day average which I'm hoping to maintain till the end of the year. Of course I'll be even happier if I'm lucky enough to do much better than that. :)

Attachments

• 66 British Penny.jpg
    66 British Penny.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 90
  • '66 British Penny.jpg
    '66 British Penny.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 5 silver halves.jpg
    5 silver halves.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a steady flow of silver.

Thanks. Seems we both found a little more to add to our piles today. As long as I'm at least finding a little silver and keeping the skunk streaks to a minimum I'm happy. I think I'm now 6 for 13 (7 skunks) with my half boxes so far this year with a total of 42 keepers from my 13 half boxes which is just over a 3 keeper average per box. So far so good. :)

Continued good luck with your boxes too.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Buff, hope you're seeing some silver in your boxes too!

Btw, just curious why is it British Pennies are the size of U.S. half dollars anyway? I was just thinking in one of my last half boxes I found a British Penny the size of a U.S half dollar and in my last nickel box I found a Jamaican five dollar coin the size of a U.S. nickel. The size and denomination of foreign coins seems a little peculiar sometimes. But then again modern U.S. dollar coins are about the size of quarters which seems a little odd too lol.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The british large pennies are obsolete in England now, they make smaller ones the size of nickels now. As for the Jamaican $5, it has an exchange value of only 4.6 cents, lol.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
2/21:
$50 (String) mwr nickels - skunk ....just 9 x '39-'59 (non-silver), '85P off center mis-strike, 2 x '09P, '09D & '72 1 Fr Belgie?
Free - '78 Canadian quarter in coin counter reject tray

2/24:
$.50 loose half - clad
$170 (String) mwr halves - 2 x 40% ('66, '67 reverse ender), '71S, and several other '02-? NIFC
Free - 2 quarters in the coin counter before I started dumping my coins

Well I was a little disappointed I didn't get my 2 half boxes from one of my p/u banks today (2/24). The teller told me the order didn't come in but she had $170 in mwr's which seemed a little strange to me but at least I found a couple of silver from those rolls so I'm not complaining. I hope to have two more boxes to p/u from my other p/u bank on Thursday.

Attachments

• '72 1 Fr Belgie.jpg
    '72 1 Fr Belgie.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 151
  • 66, 67 and 71S halves.jpg
    66, 67 and 71S halves.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 67 half rev ender.jpg
    67 half rev ender.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 83
  • 72 1 Fr Belgie.jpg
    72 1 Fr Belgie.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good stuff! the 1 Fr is from Belgium.
2/21:
$50 (String) mwr nickels - 9 x '39-'59 (non-silver), '85P off center mis-strike, 2 x '09P, '09D & '72 1 Fr Belgie?
Free - '78 Canadian quarter in coin counter reject tray

2/24:
$.50 loose half - clad
$170 (String) mwr halves - 2 x 40% ('66, '67 reverse ender), '71S, and several other '02-? NIFC
Free - 2 quarters in the coin counter before I dumped my coins

Well I was a little disappointed I didn't get my 2 half boxes from one of my p/u banks today (2/24). The teller told me the order didn't come in but she had $170 in mwr's which seemed a little strange to me but at least I found a couple of silver from those rolls so I'm not complaining. I hope to have two more boxes to p/u from my other p/u bank on Thursday.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on getting stood up on the boxes, but at least you found a few keepers. Good luck on Thursday. If all my orders come in I'll have five half boxes this week. Probability that they all get ordered is 50%.

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks all. I didn't look up that 1 Fr Belgie coin to find out for sure what it was but I figured that it might be from Belgium although the other side (obverse I guess) looks rather unusual lol. And I tried to rotate that last pic 180 degrees but idk why it keeps posting upside down.

Btw, I just updated my signature and as of today I've now found 50 silver halves so far in 2014. But I hope we can all find at least a little more silver before the end of the month.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck so far silvermagnet....hopefully your luck will start improving soon.

Good luck everyone and H$H!

Last edited:

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Silver. Hopefully your next boxes are twice as good. Finding reject tray finds is always a bonus.

Steven

OP
OP
SilverFace

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
2/25:
$2.00 loose halves - clad
$50.00 (Dunbar) mwr nickels - '26 buffalo reverse ender, 13 x '40-'59 (non-silver), '90P off center mistrike, '09D

I found the buffalo rev ender in the next to the last roll which sure was a nice surprise. I was also a little surprised when I opened the roll to see a readable date. And I should have 2 half boxes to p/u on Thursday 2/27 so I'm hoping for some more silver to finish the month.

H$H!

Attachments

• 26 buffalo.jpg
    26 buffalo.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 89
  • buff ender.jpg
    buff ender.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 80

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread