starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, first off im new here,

I started CRHing November of 2013, and just went to every bank in my town and the next town and bought every halve they had... brought them home and tried to explain to my wife the point of me having like 350 $ in change... i told her my grandfather had done it, and that pre 70 was silver so worth more...

my grandfather first taught me about the silver halves when i was a kid and i remember noticing the white edges in a teller tray at a fleet bank when i was 10-11 years old and telling my grandfather what i saw and he bought them all, 8-9 $ i think and like all but 1 were silver, dont remember the dates but he told me he would "hang on" to them for me, but would share because i spotted them... never happened lol but hes done allot more for me then to be worried about something like that, and when i told him i got into it he told me he sold his whole collections for over 2k, i have no idea if that was silver/books/etc.. but i knew he was a smart guy so it would be worth it .

not long into some MWR my wife found a 40 % and it finally became worth the hassle lol. more of hobby, and will be more fun when my son is alittle older, or if silver went up to 50$ a oz...

OK so the first few months were basically just buying from every bank i could when the had them, i think i did get someone elses dumps... learned the ropes, and and now i just get 2 boxs a week from my bank...

So prior to the last few weeks of actually keeping score i had found in circulation 2 90% JFK 7 40% JFK 1 rosi and 1 merc ( box of dimes when i couldnt find halves, then tryed again after that box and got skunked, vowed never again after unrolling and rerolling 250$ in dimes lol) 15-20 wheats, (not sure, got tired of the pennys to quick, very dirty...) and last but not least a 1900 morgan i picked up while doing a dump at a out of town bank... marked as "big dollar coin" on a bank envelope.... i will add the avg age of teller at that branch was maybe 20....

i also pulled 3$ face of "s" mint halves (clad) from a tray, and with a bi-cen "s" i found in a box i was able to sell on ebay for 7$ that i used to buy a 1909 quarter and a piece to fix my cell phone lol.

along with a box of 22lr i traded to a pawn shop for a 1 oz silver round and a morgan, (he valued the ammo at 37 $, i paid 17!) and a also had gotten a quarter halve and a couple morgans for trade with a guy, traded him ammo for silver, he had been buying ammo of me because i get it off the internet and he couldnt find any.. so he want to go shooting and asked if i had any cheap ammo ( i wish!) and i told him i would be will to trade if he had old coins/ currancy, and he did!

and on to good record keeping

week one of buying 2 boxes of halves.
1st box 4 40%
2nd box SKUNK!! funny how that works

week 2
box 1 and 2 skunk

week 3, "oops" we ordered quarters by mistake... i got it anyway!
box 1, 1964 !
box 2, SKUNK

week 4, this last week!!
box 1, 28 40%ers!!!!!!!
box 2, 3 40% lol before we started i told my wife id like to be able to finish a roll of 40 %, 30 minutes later i had a roll from that bo

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome. Looks like you've had some good results so far. And congrats on that Morgan dollar. It's good your wife seems to have an interest in the hobby too. Seems like most wives tend to be rather indifferent to CRHing at best lol.

Well, hope u have continued success.

H$H!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! and i wouldn't say she has a interest, i think indifferent more or less sums it up, but money is money, and every little bit helps, i think shes just amusing me and my new hobby, or renewed hobby il say, HH!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and nice finds!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Hunter612, i will try to put some pictures up of my finds.... my morgan is cull, but by far my favorite.. thought about selling it, turning 1$ into +-20 is great, but id rather let my son have it one day

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Saving that Morgan dollar for your son is a good idea. By the time he gets it it will likely be worth a lot more than its current value of $20 or so. Btw, I found a cull silver dollar myself in early Dec. of last year - a very slick '22 Peace dollar. Silver dollars are some of my favorite finds too. In the past 3 years I've been lucky enough to find 10 silver dollars - 4 Morgans, 4 silver Ikes (found a '76S silver Ike in Jan this year), 1 Peace & an '88 ASE. I'm sure most of these get scooped up by tellers which makes them even more difficult to find and even more rewarding when we are lucky enough to find them. :)

H$H!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree, but feel like its one of those things, that no matter the value, would not be sold lol. maybe my kid will be hard up one day lol. ive yet to find a nother silver dollar, but because i stopped hitting all the banks and just started gettin boxes ive cut my chances by a lot, ive made a few teller friends who will sit stuff aside, and surprisingly have only come across one tell who said if she fould silver would keep it! so most really have no clue... better for us!

HH!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week 5
Box 1 - 9 40%! not bad
Box 2 - 1 64, my first 70, its was a S, which also marks my first silver proof, and 3 more (clad) proofs, a bi-cen a 87 and 2012, and a 2003 that was painted, as a memorial for the challenger space shuttle... random, couldnt find anything about it, but kept it anyway lol, il try to get some pics....

forgot to put it up on my first post, but one of my 64s i got from going to my bank when i first started.. i was using them to dump rolled change sense i had a account, and asked if they had any halves by chance and they only had one.... four teller trays and only one had a halve.. a single, 1964 jfk :) saw it when she held it up from the drive-thru window.... said yup ;) il take that.. good day, no dumping ahahaha

and next week i think its time for 4 boxes... the last two weeks have had the same stamp, cant make out inspec. number but theyve all been stamped the same date, telling me there probably isnt any one else in my turf.... time to step up

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Those were a couple of good boxes. Im still looking for my first '70 half - D or S. I got 2 half boxes today myself. Im halfway through the first one and so far all Ive found is just my 3rd clad '76S of the year. Congrats on that single coin buy with the '64. Ive done that a couple of times myself in the drive thru too - Ive scored a couple of '64's, at least one Ben and even my "88 ASE (my avatar) that way. And like u said - no dumping either which is always nice too.

I have 4 more half boxes to p/u next week too so hopefully we both find some silver.

H$H!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it actually wasnt from the drive-thru, i was in the bank and it was the teller that was working the window, i knew it would be taken the other way lol, everytime ive gone to the window they usuelly tell me to come in so the halves dont brake the tray , congrats on the ben and walker, its what ive really been hoping for

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so my theory was blown to bits..... the past two pickups have had the same code making me think that i was the only one on this pallet and it was producing good, so i upped it to 4 boxes... and got a different code!! does anybody have any experiance with banks that maybe pick up from different locations? maybe they have different places they pick up from? im goin to ask on monday...
BOX 1, 71 s clad, and a 74 gold? maybe spraypainted...... lol been waiting on gold lol.
BOX 2- skunk,

2 to go, but not in a hurry for what i think may be someone else dumps..... alll well, gotta take the good with the bank, two good weeks is better then nothing! HH

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i finished both boxes, skunk....

all well, so this morning i decided to try the old road and hit up every bank on my way to the dump bank, i dumped a few hundred that i rerolled right in town and hit up the bank besides it, i had had luck their before and some what of a repor with them early into the game... she said they just sent a bunch back to the fed... i saw some in her tray and and started asking if they had someone how dropped their, im not sure if she was just slow, or was trying to stone wall me, because when she said she sold them ll i said that i would take anything she had in the teller trays, and she kept goin back to saying that she sold it, and when i said i would take whats in her tray she said i wouldnt find any silver, i told her that i wasnt just looking for silver and that i would take them, i noticed a coulple that were a odd shade of dirty, and so did she, and told me that "these two look worn, dont know if you want these?" i said yes please... not sure if she was actually wondering if i didnt want dirty coins, but they were two 40 %ers ;)

on to the next bank, my friends gf is a teller and ve bought there before and she tells me that the other teller has some, she looks under and says, " ya, theirs a bunch, how bout just a hundred and if you want the rest you can just come back?" cause she didnt want to go thru the other tellers little vault thing and count it all. i said "OK" and she pulls out some CWR and on the side i see "64" ;) no way i thought, too good to be true, thought another CRHer was just messing with me, but i bought 100$ and went to the car, my wife was driving so i told her real quick what the wrappers said and cracked it open .................................. solid ;) i went right back in and just bought it all then, told her i didnt want to have to come back out........... 196 40%er 72 90%ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! including my first 6 walkers and 5 franks, went to my drop bank, with minimal from that trip haha and on my way out of that town i stoped at another branch of the one i got the two teller finds and bought 50$ from their vault and 10$ from all the trays and got a 40% from the tray.... one day, 368$ searched, 143 face silver!!! 199 40% 72 90% makes up for the 2k skunk!!! collection dump baby!! HH halfs.JPG halfs2.JPG halfs3.JPG halfs4.JPG

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible find...a monster cache of silver!

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, that is so unreal! Way to go! Here I am getting giddy over 3 silvers in a box and you stoke my ambition with this. Well done, hunter of the silver, well done. :occasion14:

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that is so unreal! Way to go! Here I am getting giddy over 3 silvers in a box and you stoke my ambition with this. Well done, hunter of the silver, well done. :occasion14:

it came with a four box skunk, it was a blessing and a sign "dont give up, im out there still!!" HH

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like there's been a lot of beginners luck lately but your score is about as good as it gets. It will be hard to ever top this one. I was planning on going on a short road trip/bank run tomorrow morning at some banks Ive never been to before but Idk now if your incredible score has me feeling more hopeful and interested in going or might just make me feel more disappointed if its nothing but a waste of time and gas lol. Well, only one way to find out.

Congrats again! :treasurechest: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like there's been a lot of beginners luck lately but your score is about as good as it gets. It will be hard to ever top this one. I was planning on going on a short road trip/bank run tomorrow morning at some banks Ive never been to before but Idk now if your incredible score has me feeling more hopeful and interested in going or might just make me feel more disappointed if its nothing but a waste of time and gas lol. Well, only one way to find out.
and the first
Congrats again! :treasurechest: :thumbsup:
that was my thought, hit them all! and the first 2 40%ers i found pretty much paid for gas in my wifes car, so the rest was all profit!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finally went thru it all, and of course the last roll of "65-69" actually had 9 clad, all well, downs my total about 30$,, no biggie.. but the totals are in

1939 no mint mark
42,43,44 no mint mark
41,45 S

51,52,63 no mint mark
53,54 D

1964 X 63

1965 X 6 ( my first 65's i think)
1966 X 26!
1967 X 70!
1968D X 63!
1969D X 25!

SO 3 of the 40%ers were from trays of other banks on the same trip, making the total 187 40%ers 74 90%ers

and i found my first star note.. 1996 100$ bill, some sort of stamp on it so i dont think id get anything for it HH

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so this week was interesting.. i posted in the main forum about the sniping tellers... and a run in with the same bank from last week that just flat out told me no with halfs in her tray!! all well, this week i picked up 2 boxes, and around 60 cwr and loose, nothing with loose or cwr, but

box 1- 1X 1964
box 2- 1X 2003 S (clad), ive got a good stack of clad "s" halfs il probably sell them soon..

so the really important part of this is that these two boxes have the same code from last weeks 2k no-go, it ony gave 1 silver but IT DID give 1 silver, so theres hope for this pallet yet! HH

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 90% in the box is better than 2 40% in the tray of a sniping teller. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread