Box 1 - '60d
Box 2 - '64d
Box 3 - '64d
$105 cwr - 63d

Nickels
$4 cwr - skunk

Quarters
$20 cwr - skunk

The bank forgot to order my boxes this week.... However the teller said she has $900 of cwr I can have... Of course I said yes and the cwr worked out really well! But she knows I order halves... Funny she never mentioned these before. I've been ordering at this branch for two years...

Two new sources I found, a small drive up bank and grocery stores. Any one else have success at grocery stores? I just asked the the lotto/cigarette check out counter.

18 40%ers and 4 Rosies for the week, I'm happy!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great week, especially considering they blew your order. At your grocery store it sounds like they have a special checkout for the cigarettes and lotto tickets. Is this like the customer service section at the front of the store just past the checkout lines? I'll have to pay closer attention next time I'm in the grocery store. Thanks for the tip. Probably a great source since grocery store employees are less likely to pick out the silver than bank employees.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's the spot! The customer service counter past the checkout lines. Chatted with a guy the other day and he said during the holidays they get quite a few. They send them off with there coin courier about every two weeks.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a Coinstar directly adjacent to the customer service counter at my local supermarket so anybody looking to get rid of coins probably dumps them there and takes the 11% hit. What a waste!!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tip, Zomotion. For sure I'll be tapping into this new source. Thanks.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's a Coinstar directly adjacent to the customer service counter at my local supermarket so anybody looking to get rid of coins probably dumps them there and takes the 11% hit. What a waste!!
That's even worse than the Coinstars around here, which are 9%. Anyone who dumps coinage at a Coinstar is out of their mind.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup those coinstars are always near the customer service counter. I've done well with those coinstars though.... a little free silver every month!

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outside of these coinstars, each grocery store should also have a coin counter in the back. These machines count the money/coins that are run through their tills. Over time they accumulate halves and eventually will send these off with loomis or whatever service they use. If u can build a relationship with one of the customer service employees I bet they'll hold them for you.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week of 11/17 to 11/23

Halves
Box order forgotten again :BangHead:
$13 teller tray - '67

Dimes
Box 1 - 64d rosie
Box 2 - skunk
Box 3 - '61 rosie

Very busy week and the missed order again didn't help much. The teller that orders the coin was on vacation and the fill in forgot to do it. Two weeks in a row... Can't stop thinking of what I missed. HH!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It drives me crazy when my bank misses my order. Happens a lot. At least you scored a few dimes and a loose half to keep things interesting.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week of 11/24 to 11/30

Halves
Box 1 skunk
Box 2 skunk
Teller tray - '64, '67

Quarters
Box 1 skunk

Dimes
Box 1 skunk
Box 2 - '58 rosie

Week 12/1 to 12/7

Halves
Order missed.... Again.
Teller tray - 64x2, 65x3, 66x4
Cwr - 64x3, 65x3, 66x3

Dimes
Box 1 - 2 proofs, 61 rosie
Box 2 - '64 rosie
Coinstar - '64 Rosie

Nickels
Box 1 skunk

Since the bank missed my halves order again, I ran to another bank to pick up a box of dimes and nickels. I asked if they had any loose halves and the drive up window had $8, which was loaded with silver. I asked if they had any rolls, they had 4, which also was loaded. 18 silver halves, not complaining!!! But still can't help wonder what I've missed in those boxes, 3 orders missed last month... HH!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. Amazing week. I always have lousy luck with teller trays and CWR's. Those suckers must have been loaded with silver. Someone cashed in a very old stash.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week of 12/8 to 12/14

Halves
Box 1 - '69d
Box 2 - '66
Box 3 - skunk
$80 cwr - skunk
$28 loose - skunk

Dimes
Box 1 - 46d
Box 2 - 52d
Box 3 - 53s

Nickels
Box 1 - (20 rolls) skunk

Got the orders for halves this week and hit on both boxes. My dump bank (not my dump branch) said they had a box of halves that some one ordered but never picked up. I bought it and it was a bunch of my dumps... Which was ok because it reassured me my system is working. I buy loomis halves and dump at a Dunbar bank. The coins I found were a bunch of '04 p&d and about two rolls of "burnt" or smoked damaged coins I came across in cwr about a month ago. Pretty unmistakeable.

I was surprised to see these back in circulation so fast though. How fast have you seen dumped coins back in boxes in your areas?

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty good week on the dimes and you managed to avoid the skunk on your halves. Do you dump loose coins or do you reroll them? I pick up from US Bank and dump at a variety of other banks. I don't know if I've ever re-searched my own dumps. I'm in a city of 2 million, so I think I don't get my own dumps back very often. But there are a ton of CRHers in my city--I see gazillions of marked coins.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I
Pretty good week on the dimes and you managed to avoid the skunk on your halves. Do you dump loose coins or do you reroll them? I pick up from US Bank and dump at a variety of other banks. I don't know if I've ever re-searched my own dumps. I'm in a city of 2 million, so I think I don't get my own dumps back very often. But there are a ton of CRHers in my city--I see gazillions of marked coins.

I also pick up at us bank and dump at b of a. Loomis pickup and Garda dump. I bag the coins in $500 amounts and deposit at b of a. I don't get immediate credit this way, but it's easier than re-rolling and the tellers like it better. I'm in a pretty large populated area myself, about 3 million where the loomis covers, and there are quite a few hunters as well.

I've even coordinated with another hunter to dump at the same banks (Garda). It does end up making a difference in the long run.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Week of 12/15 to 12/21

Halves
Box 1 - '64
Box 2 - 5 x 40%ers
$11 Grocery store- '64
$230 cwr - '69, 1 roll with 10 proofs :thumbsup:
$24 teller tray - 66, '67

Dimes
Box1 - 57s
Box 2 - 47d
Coinstar - 53, '44 merc

Nickels
Remaining box from last week - 42p

Quarters
.25 teller tray - '54 wash

A little of everything this week! I was happy with the boxes and cwr were great. I filled in a lot of gaps in my album with the proof halves and replaced a few that were circulated. The Washington quarter was a pleasant surprise too!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I

I also pick up at us bank and dump at b of a. Loomis pickup and Garda dump. I bag the coins in $500 amounts and deposit at b of a. I don't get immediate credit this way, but it's easier than re-rolling and the tellers like it better. I'm in a pretty large populated area myself, about 3 million where the loomis covers, and there are quite a few hunters as well.

I've even coordinated with another hunter to dump at the same banks (Garda). It does end up making a difference in the long run.

The only coins I reroll are the halves. The only bank here that will take unrolled coins is B of A. I dump halves at a variety of banks (I have accounts with several banks). B of A is the only bank that accepts coins in bags. I reroll halves and dump my other denominations at b of a. You said US Bank is Loomis and B of A is Garda in your area. Here, B of A is Loomis, and US Bank is Brinks. I have not yet stumbled on any Garda banks here, but haven't yet ordered coin from some of the banks I have accounts with.
I enjoy hearing how people handle their pickup and drop logistics. Thanks for the insight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread