Avagos Goodies

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome year, Avago. Congratulations on breaking through the 100 oz. mark. Like you said, it's not about the money, but how many hobbies actually pay money? I know people that spend thousands a year on their hobbies, and we have a super-amazing hobby that actually pays us. Your 103 oz. number is even more amazing given the fact you started in just July. I like your running total system. I might try adopting something like that in 2015.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome year, Avago. Congratulations on breaking through the 100 oz. mark. Like you said, it's not about the money, but how many hobbies actually pay money? I know people that spend thousands a year on their hobbies, and we have a super-amazing hobby that actually pays us. Your 103 oz. number is even more amazing given the fact you started in just July. I like your running total system. I might try adopting something like that in 2015.

After losing some of my 2014 data, I have since put together an excel spreadsheet for my 2015 crh finds. It's much more organized and I have it.set.up to tell me how many of each type of coin I found, and my running total for oz for the year. As I add more silver to the stack it automatically updates the year to date silvrr total and how much volume I've searched.

HH
Buff

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After losing some of my 2014 data, I have since put together an excel spreadsheet for my 2015 crh finds. It's much more organized and I have it.set.up to tell me how many of each type of coin I found, and my running total for oz for the year. As I add more silver to the stack it automatically updates the year to date silvrr total and how much volume I've searched.

HH
Buff
If I wasn't such a techno dunce, I would use a spreadsheet. If I'm not mistaken, spreadsheets can actually add automatically, which is super-efficient. It can probably even tabulate a per box average. I'm using running totals in 2015, but they will be very simple. And I am keeping a count of boxes searched. I pick up lots of great ideas from the members of this forum.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know a lot about spreadsheets, they can do anything you want them to. Mines simple and just calculates:
-Running totals of amount searched and oz of silver found
-breakdown of what was from the batch (number of 40%, 1964, bens, walkers, mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, v nickel, buffalo nickels, war nickels, Indian heads and wheats). As I insert a number into the found type of coin section, both my running totals of that coin type and oz goes up accordingly.
HH
Buff

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Buff, sorry to hear you lost your totals! That's a real bummer. Maybe there's an auto-saved backup copy somewhere? A spreadsheet is an excellent idea, I will probably do the same thing now that you mention it. Beats having to update and calculate everything manually.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what happed!! Half of the data was missing when I went to do my yearly totals... :dontknow:???:censored:

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Slow start to the 2015 year. From this past week's order of 10 boxes we pulled one 90% and nine 40% with seven skunk boxes for a total of just over an ounce and a half of silver. We also found a 1987-P and a magician's coin. $70 CWR yielded nothing.

Hopefully this week's 8 boxes will turn out better!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Slow start to the 2015 year. From this past week's order of 10 boxes we pulled one 90% and nine 40% with seven skunk boxes for a total of just over an ounce and a half of silver. We also found a 1987-P and a magician's coin. $70 CWR yielded nothing.

Hopefully this week's 8 boxes will turn out better!

10 boxes, 10 silvers--a little slow, but not horrible. I pulled 11 silvers out of 4 boxes yesterday. With the kind of large volume you are searching, you are going to come across your fair share of dream boxes. Are you searching 10 boxes per week?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
It could be worse I suppose. That's a decent four boxes, I wouldn't complain about that. But I'd love to see a dream box this year. I usually do 8 per week, but I could probably max out at 10-12 with my dump situation if I wanted to. If I have a particularly good week I am able to double my supply to 16 boxes, but it really backs up the dumps so I don't do it very often.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey avago, 1 per box makes me happy, anything above that Is gravy. Nice start to 2015!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we had an even slower week this week. Did eight boxes which only yielded two 90% and two 40%, four skunks and four boxes with a single silver.

We seemed to be sorting through other CRHers concentrated dumps. One of my boxes was loaded with an orange stripe mark and another box with white paint on half of the rims. Hopefully it'll pick up this week but my hopes aren't high!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, we had an even slower week this week. Did eight boxes which only yielded two 90% and two 40%, four skunks and four boxes with a single silver.

We seemed to be sorting through other CRHers concentrated dumps. One of my boxes was loaded with an orange stripe mark and another box with white paint on half of the rims. Hopefully it'll pick up this week but my hopes aren't high!
With the high volume you are doing, you will burn through those lousy boxes in a hurry and get to the good stuff. I predict a good week for you.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
With the high volume you are doing, you will burn through those lousy boxes in a hurry and get to the good stuff. I predict a good week for you.

Hope so Silverslug, but we didn't reach the bottom of the bucket yet this week. 6/8 boxes were skunks with two 40%s total out of two boxes. Ouch! Hopefully things will pick back up a little bit this week as a more favorable box code was delivered this week... :goldbar:?

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope so Silverslug, but we didn't reach the bottom of the bucket yet this week. 6/8 boxes were skunks with two 40%s total out of two boxes. Ouch! Hopefully things will pick back up a little bit this week as a more favorable box code was delivered this week... :goldbar:?

Tough week, Avago. I had a similar week...2 40%ers out of four boxes. One of my other banks offered to order halves for me. Maybe I need to give another bank a try.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a slightly better week this week. We skirted over an ounce with seven 40% pulled from eight boxes. YTD we're averaging less than one silver per box.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad! I had the week off, so no coins for me. Hopefully next week can be better for you!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Not bad! I had the week off, so no coins for me. Hopefully next week can be better for you!

Fun fact, I've found more magician's coins so far this year than 90% haha. So far there's been a pretty strong correlation between box stamp and silver production. Hopefully that'll change or I'll just keep getting the stamps that are producing. Good luck next week!

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Finished this week with six skunk boxes, one that produced 1 90% and 2 40%, and the excellent box containing two 1970-D's, two Franklin proofs, and a handful of '64's.
IMAG0425_1.jpg IMAG0420_1.jpg
IMAG0417_1.jpg

On the year, I've been skunked 26/42 boxes which is much higher than my ratio last year. The finds just seemed to drop off in the new year, but the box above was definitely an incentive to keep after it!

I was also able to score a '64 Kennedy out of $1.50 loose I picked up at a WF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions