Squatch Log

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay that make sense. Does that apply to all coins, anything under 10mill is considered a key date?
Not necessarily. For example, the post-2001 half dollars were generally only minted less that 3 million each. But they are relatively easy to find. I believe the toughest to find non-proof half to find is the 1987-D and P. They didn't make many that year and what few they made were for collectors. I've found 2 1987-D's and still looking for a 1987-P. A 1987 half is a nice find. Keep an eye open for them.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well stopped by the bank to drop off a check and decided to pick up $60 worth of coins to pass the time until my first half box comes in (for some reason the bank just isn't getting it in their order). There wasn't much in there but I did find a few keepers.

Now the only thing worth mentioning is the 1935 (D?) Buffalo Nickel that I found in the very last roll that I went through!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing that you searched only 5 rolls of nickels and scored a buffalo. Awesome.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yay! Bank just called and said they have my box of halves. I am excited :)

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No luck at all on the box, it was a skunk. But I did find about 10 of the halves to have a mark from others that are into CRH.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No luck at all on the box, it was a skunk. But I did find about 10 of the halves to have a mark from others that are into CRH.
Most of my boxes are skunks, but the good boxes make up for the skunks. Just keep on truckin' and you'll stumble onto that occasional great box.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know I just have to keep plugging along :) I am going to go to my wife's bank and order a couple boxes today. Hopefully I have more luck!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Every box of halves you will search will have marked coins of some kind. Some are even dated month/year so you can get an idea of when your box might have been rolled. 10 out of the box is probably on the lower end of the marked-coin average spectrum for my half boxes. Keep looking!

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well went through a box of cents, dimes, and nickels yesterday and today. I got a bunch of copper cents, and about 8 wheaties. The dimes box was a skunk. In the nickel box I got two war nickels, a 1937 buffalo, and two almost uncirculated 1938 nickels.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures this time. :(

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Well went through a box of cents, dimes, and nickels yesterday and today. I got a bunch of copper cents, and about 8 wheaties. The dimes box was a skunk. In the nickel box I got two war nickels, a 1937 buffalo, and two almost uncirculated 1938 nickels.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures this time. :(

That was a very good nickel box.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1938 nickels are super-nice finds. I have yet to find a single 1938 nickel. They are low-mintage and very hard to come by.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1938 nickels are super-nice finds. I have yet to find a single 1938 nickel. They are low-mintage and very hard to come by.

I have found three in two boxes. I am really liking nickels, I think they are my favorite thing to go through right now!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found three in two boxes. I am really liking nickels, I think they are my favorite thing to go through right now!
I agree. Nickels are super-cool. A lot of the guys in this forum stick with the halves, but I like everything--even pennies. I've even had some luck with quarter boxes--two silver quarters from about 5 or 6 boxes.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to do a quarter box, only because everyone else has kinda scared me away from them. I think next week I will pick one up and see what I can find.

I really like pennies as well. I have gotten 2 boxes and what I had in my coin jar, and I found about 28 wheaties. I really want to like dimes but I am not a big fan. I rim check them and I can go through a box in under an hour, kinda takes the fun out of it. :(

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have yet to do a quarter box, only because everyone else has kinda scared me away from them. I think next week I will pick one up and see what I can find.

I really like pennies as well. I have gotten 2 boxes and what I had in my coin jar, and I found about 28 wheaties. I really want to like dimes but I am not a big fan. I rim check them and I can go through a box in under an hour, kinda takes the fun out of it. :(
Yeah. I just edge check my dimes. I don't bother looking at each coin because I already have my dime folder filled in. There aren't any clad dimes that are hard to find. A few boxes and I had the whole folder filled in. I guess I'm not as patient as you. I like picking all the silver out of a dime box in thirty minutes or less.
I find with the dimes that if the light isn't just right, it's easy to miss the silvers. Natural sunlight, but within the shade with my glasses removed so I can get them right up to my face seems to work best. They are so tiny that conditions need to be just right. Artificial light doesn't work for me when I search dimes.
Quarters are nice if you're a coin collector. There are all the state quarters and national park quarters to find, and some of them are pretty tough to find. I've gone through about five boxes, and still have several that I haven't yet found--some of the 2009's for example. I've also found a few proof quarters and two silvers.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I just edge check my dimes. I don't bother looking at each coin because I already have my dime folder filled in. There aren't any clad dimes that are hard to find. A few boxes and I had the whole folder filled in. I guess I'm not as patient as you. I like picking all the silver out of a dime box in thirty minutes or less.
I find with the dimes that if the light isn't just right, it's easy to miss the silvers. Natural sunlight, but within the shade with my glasses removed so I can get them right up to my face seems to work best. They are so tiny that conditions need to be just right. Artificial light doesn't work for me when I search dimes.
Quarters are nice if you're a coin collector. There are all the state quarters and national park quarters to find, and some of them are pretty tough to find. I've gone through about five boxes, and still have several that I haven't yet found--some of the 2009's for example. I've also found a few proof quarters and two silvers.

I tackle dimes in my office at my house that house a huge bay window right behind me, I like the natural light as well! I tend to open the roll by unrolling it and then I bring the dimes straight up to my face, haha. My wife says I look like I am getting old, maybe she should buy me some reading glasses.

I have done rolls of quarters here and there, I have almost all the state and territory quarters and I do have all of the America the Beautiful quarters. I am just mainly in it for silver and I am not much of a collector. (Although this hobby pretty much forces you to be a collector, too many awesome coins to not collect them)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread