OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I literally did not sleep last night, I was on this website reading through 32 pages of threads! This hobby really struck me as something that could be a blast. I have always been interested in coins and bills that are different, and big coins that you don't get to see often. Well after reading all night, I decided today I would go around to the banks around me and see what halves they had.

Bank 1 only had a few in the draw - nothing
Bank 2 had a couple dollars - nothing
Bank 3 had 3 rolls that I bought - again nothing.

I read enough of the threads to know silver takes time, and not to be disappointed. I was a little discouraged to find out that if I wanted to start this hobby, I was going to have to invest $500 because no banks here just carry halves.

I went to one other bank around me was told they didn't have any, but that their other branch (10 miles away) has boxes of them. I had a feeling this was going to be someones dump spot but I thought I might as well check it out. Drove to the branch and was able to get 10 rolls from them.

Well I did pretty good on the last roll of the bunch! Just so you know I did keep one half from each year because I want a date range collection.

This is the lot of them...

These are the ones I pulled for my personal collection...

I got these in my hunt, these are worth FV but I think they are awesome!

Now to the stuff that stood out...

2007, 2012, and the other 2012 are just interesting to me.
1967, and 1967 40% halves, and a weird 2009 silver looking half.

Any idea on these one? It stands out from the other clad but the edge is not silver.

This was my post from yesterday.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went on a search during my lunch hour and was able to find a bank that had some rolls. I got pretty excited until the teller told me that they have $900 worth that this guy brings in every other week or so, my first thought is that I found someones dump bank. Bought 10 rolls just to check and see, maybe it was an old guy off loading a collection?

After going through the lot of them, I think my first thought was right. No silver and nothing of interest. Some of the rolls had been split down the side.

Now to locate a dump bank, I haven't found a bank that has a coin counter yet. Anyone in the Oklahoma City area know of a bank to dump at? :P

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first finds and welcome to treasure. I would recommend that you find a consistent pick up bank and any bank with a coin machine will take your coins, just become a member.

Most of us regular CRHers have membership at around 3-5 banks in our area.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Steven

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Steve! I am going to call the bank I have my business accounts at and see if they can order me some boxes, and unfortunately I have yet to find a bank anywhere close to me that has a coin counter. I think I am just going to roll them and bring them back to my personal bank.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey squatch, read through the beginners guide to crh'ing thread. It's been said a lot here, but do not dump the coin where you buy it from. You'll make things very difficult for yourself if you do. Join another bank... Maybe the bank that had the $900 worth of halves. Seems like they take someone's dumps.

Not sure if your business bank is different from your personal bank, just be sure the place you order doesn't get your dumps.

Good luck with the hobby and I hope you have much success!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Zomotion, yeah my business bank and personal bank are two different banks.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay called my business bank and they said they will order whatever I want, I can get bags or boxes of any coin. I am excited, I went ahead and ordered a box of pennies and a box of dimes for my first order. I will be ordering a box of halves next week. Wish me luck.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a dump bank!!! Thank god! haha

Also went through about $50 of dimes, nickels, and cents. I found a few keepers and a bunch of copper. I will try to get pictures up tomorrow.

I am picking up my first boxes of pennies, nickels, dimes and halves this week. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first few boxes on Friday, but my half box was not there. I found a bank that had some halves and I bought all that they had (10 rolls).

I went through my nickel box first and this is what I found...

Just a bunch of pre 1960 nickels and...

two 1945 war nickels and one 1942 war nickel. (Edit: Found out the 1942 is not a War Nickel)

Next I went through the 10 rolls of halves....

1950 Ben, 1965 Ken, and a 1967 Ken.

Dimes were next, I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised...

1963 and 1964.

Now time for the cents, found some nice wheaties...

2x1944, 1948, 1949, 1954, 1957, 1958

Also found a bunch of 2009 cents, not certain if these are worth keeping...

Also found a weird foreign cent that I still need to do some research on...

and to finish this post off, I pulled out the copper...

Last edited:

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. A Franklin half, two Roosevelt dimes, two war nickels and two 40% silvers halves. Not bad for a day's work.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Silverslug! I was a little bummed to find out that the 42 wasn't a war nickel, but I am happy with the two!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of the rare key dates are even better that war nickels.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the things I have yet to grasp, Key dates. I am not certain what dates they pertain to for each denomination, and I can't find a list for them.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one of the things I have yet to grasp, Key dates. I am not certain what dates they pertain to for each denomination, and I can't find a list for them.

You can get some basic info about some of the key and better dates from the coinflation website. There are many other more detailed websites but that website is a good overall basic website for mintages and coin values.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just do a google search, "Jefferson nickel mintage amounts" or "Jefferson nickel key dates". Any coin that was produces in numbers less than 10 million can be hard to find, thus a key date. The 1938 Jeffersons are rare. The 1950-D is the lowest mintage of all. I've found a few of the key dates, but most of those holes are empty in my Jefferson nickels coin album.

OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay that make sense. Does that apply to all coins, anything under 10mill is considered a key date?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay that make sense. Does that apply to all coins, anything under 10mill is considered a key date?

Well no not necessarily. It differs depending on denomination/type of coin. For example, a lot of years of the Franklin half dollars have mintages under 10 million and even though 1955 (mintage 2.8 million) is sort of considered the key date, all Franklins have about the same value (about melt value) in average circulated condition. While a key date 1950D nickel (mintage 2.6 million) is worth about $5 (100 x fv) or more in average circulated condition. So it just sorta depends. But you'll should be able to learn pretty quick the main key and semi key/better dates to look out for.

But really key and even semi key dates are something most of us don't find too often with this hobby. But people do find them from time to time. There's been some amazing finds here just this year including error coins - but that's a whole nother subject that will take some time to learn. There's all kinds of different errors and varieties to look for if that's something you might be interested in. And some people specialize in that area. But you really have to learn what to look for with that.

Btw, Im sorry, I though you were responding to me. I didn't see the previous post from Silverslug, my bad.

Good luck and HH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Squatch2401

Squatch2401

Sep 11, 2014
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well no not necessarily. It differs depending on denomination/type of coin. For example, a lot of years of the Franklin half dollars have mintages under 10 million and even though 1955 (mintage 2.8 million) is sort of considered the key date, all Franklins have about the same value (about melt value) in average circulated condition. While a key date 1950D nickel (mintage 2.6 million) is worth about $5 (100 x fv) or more in average circulated condition. So it just sorta depends. But you'll should be able to learn pretty quick the main key and semi key/better dates to look out for.

But really key and even semi key dates are something most of us don't find too often with this hobby. But people do find them from time to time. There's been some amazing finds here just this year including error coins - but that's a whole nother subject that will take some time to learn. There's all kinds of different errors and varieties to look for if that's something you might be interested in. And some people specialize in that area. But you really have to learn what to look for with that.

Btw, Im sorry, I though you were responding to me. I didn't see the previous post from Silverslug, my bad.

Good luck and HH!

Its all good, Thank you so much for the information! Yeah definitely have a lot to lear!

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sub 10 million is my personal definition of a key date. I believe for Jefferson nickels there are just nine sub 10 million dates. I believe most hard-core coin collectors would agree that those are key or semi-key dates, and they would possibly add a few others to the list.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread