MY NEW HOBBY

Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting for about 5 years. I totally suck at it LOL - Have never found anything worthwhile, including silver coins, gold coins, any type of jewelry, etc. I did find a rusted fairly large can opener and actually, I lied. I found an IPhone in really good condition on a beach in Lewes, DE the middle of January and was able to get into it, find a phone number which was to the person who lost the phone, and returned it to the owner who had lost it on Christmas Eve. I was pretty surprised as it had been almost 4 weeks sitting out among the elements and it was still in great condition AND worked!

I digress....

A few months ago, I'd been finding a couple of silver dimes in my coffeehouse cash register. That does not include the Monday morning when I came in and found about 20 silver Roosevelts in there. I know the kids who work for me go to the small local bank across the street when they need change and figured someone must have cashed them in not realizing what they had.

A few days later, I needed change so I sent my husband to get me 2 rolls of dimes. When he came back with a couple of what I call ‘special’ rolls, I sent him back to get as many as he could. Long story short, this was the outcome…
Out of 1000 dimes (20 rolls), 640 were silver (Barbers, Mercurys and 1946-1964 Roosevelts). Still have not had time to look at the dates, but a LOT of them are so clean, they could have easily been mistaken for new coins. This will NEVER happen again, but I think I have found a new (or at least, another) hobby :happy3::happy3:

Attachments

• COLLAGE.jpg
    COLLAGE.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 230

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is truly amazing...I have never seen an MWR(machine wrapped roll) stacked with silver dimes let alone 20 of them!...congrats and welcome to the hobby.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen someone pull so many Merc's at one time. For sure it was a collection dump from someone's deceased member of the family, and they wanted to convert coins to paper cash. Whose to say what type of other coins ( IH, buffs, type coins, SLQ etc.)were deposited? Only some other CRH'r will know. Congrats on the find.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! Fill us in on the dates when u go through them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions