2009 COIN LOG

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I only search cents & dimes, I'm sure that the 2009 nickels are just as difficult to find in the wild; comments from you nickel hunters?

I'm working on a Jeff set from the wild. Down to 2 coins left: 1938S & 2009P. The 09s are scarce relative to other modern nickels. I haven't date searched much though to be honest. I put together the early coins (38-64) just by looking for worn ones, then put together the rest (including the 09d) with just a couple hundred dollars worth of nickels. Since I live out west, the 09P will probably take a little while for me to find.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I searched a box of dimes last night which I rarely do but I am glad I did. I was 5 rolls in when I found a 2009p. WOOT! Last one I needed for the folder. There were also 2 silver dimes, another first for me. I guess I will being doing more dimes, I just wish they weren't so :censored: small!

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Moleman: I'm really shocked that it took you so long to find that 09-P dime. At least the folder is complete. Congrats

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
dozer, are the 2009 pennies worth hanging onto too if I find them?

Most guys around will say "spend them", I say, "NO, hang on to them if you can for a few reasons". #1-they are the 100th anniv of the Lincoln Cent (originated in 1909); #2 they represent four segments of Lincoln's life; #3 when comparing mintages to other years, they (both the P & D) are dramatically lower than other years; #4 based on the mintages, could possibly create SLEEPER KEEPERS in the future (maybe not in my lifetime, but possibly in the lifetimes of my 12-grandkids); #5 I've been collecting coins since the early 60's and have seen too many coins that might fall in the COULDA - WOULDA - SHOULDA, and then be kicking myself in the butt for not having the foresight to have had the chance to save as many as I could when they were readily available; and #6 what's it going to cost me ? ONE CENT. And I believe it's the only coin ever produced that you know just by seeing the REVERSE side, you know the exact year; which brings to mind that this is the shortest time frame life of a coin (one year); I don't think any other coin in U S history has ever been in existence for only one year. Enough reasons of mine, anyone else? Thanks for letting me ramble on & on. DozerD

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I am keeping the 2009 cents as well. I sorted mine today by mint and reverse. I have 2 rolls of Denver/professional life so I am throwing those back now. I have yet to find a Philly/presidency. I have some of all the others. I'll try to get 2 rolls of each and call it good.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Moleman: glad to see it happen.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I have STOPPED logging my 2009 dime findings, just this week I went through 2-boxes, as; box-1 had 2-Rosie's and only 1-2009 dime; box-2 had 3-Rosie's with only 2-2009 dimes. Never thought I'd see the day when I find more AG Rosie's than 2009 dimes.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a casual update: I'm finding fewer & fewer 2009 dimes than ever before, but still date checking all dime CWR & MWR's.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been actively been looking for the 2009 Dimes as well and they are tough! In 3 1/2 months to date I've found 3 Ps and 17 Ds. I live out on the West Coast so that may have something to do with me having so much trouble with the Ps... As for the 2009 Nickels, I've found 3 of the Ps, and 45 Ds.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Fewer now than ever before !!!!!
Was going thru $500 of dimes that I rim checked earlier in the week, but now I'm date checking. Would you believe only two 2009 dimes (only 1-P, 1-D). Go figure!!!

Jajo

Mar 20, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that the 2009 coinage is a lower mintage, but its still hundreds of millions, so are you guys keeping these coins, to make a roll and sell that, keep them for a long time until they are worth more, because I feel like there is not a huge demand to buy a single 2009 coin, but there are lots of the coins out there, just something to think about, I'll still keep them anyway, put a set together eventually, or maybe find some sort of error. Good Luck and Happy Hunting :D

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
2009 dimes withering?
I just wonder with the very low numbers that I've been pulling of the P & D 2009 dimes, if I'm not drying up my general area? That would really be a shock, unless there are others out there doing the same as I am, "hoarding all the 2009 coins"? Yes, I know the production numbers are in the millions, but ya never know.

Jajo

Mar 20, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I see Dozer D

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an update: I'm still pulling only a very few (2-6 per box) of the 2009's P&D dimes. It's amazing how quickly they had vanished since 2010.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a friendly update, that I no longer pull the 2009 dimes, only because of my arthritis in my fingers & with carpal tunnel, and then only if I see them in the open. In total, I most likely have about 2-3 boxes each of P & D's all rolled up, but not graded. Maybe in the future.

TN MODS: you can pull this log off the site if you like, cuz I will most likely NOT ADD TO IT, and lack of posts interest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just for the heck of it, had some extra time on my hands when I got 4-boxes of dimes, Sat 1/20/2018, so rather than just rim checking for silver, I decided to date check on only two boxes to see if any 2009 dimes are flowing. First box only gave up 2-2009, second box scored a whopping ONE 1-2009 dime. Thus, I still contend that the coins (cent, nick dime, ) of 2009 will become rarer as the years go by, and that the extreme ones to still find will be those AU and better. Comments on your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread