Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
silver.jpg

Hey everyone,

Been watching your logs for a little while now.

Went to the bank this morning and asked the teller if they had any halves. She said she did and went to the back and brought out a whole box. I had previously asked her what the process was and said I wouldn't buy probably until around thanksgiving so that I could do it when I went to my parents place.

But since she had the whole box today I decided to go for it.

I got home and checked the ends of the paper rolls. One had a 1968 ender! I started with that roll. I wanted to make the process last as long as I could so I didn't want to rush through it. I started with 5 rolls and said only 5 more. That turned into a total of 15 and then I had to run errands.

The afternoon I came back and did some more and found another 1968 40%.

Do you guys feel like every roll you open you see a glimmer of silver? I love the hope and the hunt :)

Since this was my first box if I'd do it differently now that I'm done. Until about half way through I didn't realize that 1970 also was a 40% year. (Are all 70's?) So I wasn't looking for that, but I think I saw a lot of 71 not 70.

I also saw a few different markings. Sharpie marker. One a green mark. One a black line through JFK's eye to his ear. One a bunch of red looking paint (was that in a bank robbery ink pack?) And then this last one which I left out and took a photo of. It looks like a kiss.

kiss.jpg

Anyway, I assume that these markings are ways for other CRH's to see if they are sorting through the same coins? Is that true?

My third to last roll I found a 1964! None of them are in great shape, but they are still silver and I FOUND them!

I also pulled 6 halves that are still actually shiny. Maybe I'll start a book. All of them look like the upper center one, the lighting was just bad.

shiny.jpg

And then there was this interesting marking on this coin. A few other coins had a similar marking, but not as deep. What do you think?

diecut.jpg

And lastly there was this blued 1973 that I thought was silver, obviously someone else wondered too because they had scratched some of the side to see.

blued2.jpg blued.jpg

Oh yeah... now really the last thing. These 2 1983's don't appear to have the FG on the reverse where as the one does. Any insights on that?

fg.jpg

I'm stokked on finding 1 90% and 2 40%s! It's a great practice in thankfulness. I would be natural tendency for me to grumble about what I didn't get instead of focusing and being thankful for what I did find. I'm thankful that I had the extra money to buy a box, had the time and eyesight and muscle function to look through them. I'm thankful that my teller seems to be excited about my new hobby too. And I'm super excited that I found actual silver! Remind me of this need to be thankful when I get skunked.

From watching your all's log's I've been encouraged to just keep pushing on and trying no matter the results. That's a good encouragement for all of life.

I was amazed at how dirty my hands got when touching the coins. And I felt like I could smell/taste the metal. Do you guys get that too?

Anyway... looking forward to being a part of this community and I can't wait to get another box! Happy hunting! Can't wait to learn from you all.

- jim

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And then there was this interesting marking on this coin. A few other coins had a similar marking, but not as deep. What do you think?

View attachment 1228128

And lastly there was this blued 1973 that I thought was silver, obviously someone else wondered too because they had scratched some of the side to see.

View attachment 1228131 View attachment 1228132

The halves with circles on them have been damaged by coin rolling machines, worth face value. You other coin looks like it was painted. Again, just worth face value.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Jim, it's great to see someone excited to start the hobby! Welcome to the addiction...

Let me try to answer a few of your questions... Yes, all of the 1970 coins are silver but they are very rare to find in a box. Chances are you didn't miss any :) From the rim, they'll look like any other 40% coin, but probably bigger and fatter since it is likely uncirculated! They're hard to miss.

Lots of CRHers make marks to try to track if they're getting their coins back and after how long. It helps iron out a dumping strategy to ensure you're not polluting your own supply with coins that you've already searched.

As boristhespider said, you'll find loads of those circular marks created by the machines that crimps the end of the rolls. It's really sad when it happens to a nice (albeit probably already impaired) proof.

A quick glance at the 1983 coins with the missing FG... I can see in the picture a little mound or lump where the FG is supposed to be. Most likely the FG was there and worn down or something along those lines. As far as I know, there are two known varieties that are true "no FG". There's the 1982-P no FG (I have found two) and the 1972-D which a true specimen is exceptionally rare.

Great to hear from you Jim and looking forward to stopping by your log. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Avago, thank you for the info! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. It looks like 2015 has been a great CRH year for you! Wow, inspiring!

Avago and Enamel7 -

The lower left was to show the FG, the other two to me did not appear to have it, but like you said it could have just been rubbed off. How can you tell it looks like it was there? What should I be looking for? Thank you for the help!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jim,

Check out these two... The first one is either a weak strike or has just been heavily circulated. In any case the FG is still visible. Even if there's a trace of the FG, it doesn't count.

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 12.03.11 AM.png

Here's a pic of a 1982-P no FG that I found earlier this year. I haven't been able to notice even a trace of the FG so I believe this one to be a true "no FG." Can you spot the difference?

IMAG0497_1.jpg

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for sharing that info. looks like I need to buy a magnifying glass :)

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate you stopping by and the welcome Rick thanks!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cowtipping! Great start! I read your post on Rick's page and I wanted to let you know that you should not take the halves back to the bank you purchase them from.

You should find a different bank other than where you pick up and order. Big rookie mistake, I hope you read this post before you head out today. You will wear out your welcome with the tellers

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Zomotion. I actually didn't see this before you responded. But the tellers seem pretty cool about it. The one that processed it joked "we don't want those back, you just got them." But had a smile on her face. I took them a box of chocolates.

When I asked a month ago about the process I asked the person who puts in the orders if it was a big hassle to bring them back when I was finished sorting and if I should take it to another branch, she said it's no problem, they just put it in a coin bag for me.

I talked to her again today after returning the halves and she said she'd order me another box next week.

I think I've got some awesome tellers. :)

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Zomotion. I actually didn't see this before you responded. But the tellers seem pretty cool about it. The one that processed it joked "we don't want those back, you just got them." But had a smile on her face. I took them a box of chocolates.

When I asked a month ago about the process I asked the person who puts in the orders if it was a big hassle to bring them back when I was finished sorting and if I should take it to another branch, she said it's no problem, they just put it in a coin bag for me.

I talked to her again today after returning the halves and she said she'd order me another box next week.

Even though they say it is okay, they will get tired of it and cut you off, awesome tellers or not. Higher ups at the bank probably would shut you down if the tellers won't. I concur with Zomotion's advice.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
how about a different branch of the same bank? or does it need to be a completely different bank?

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim,
Welcome to the hobby. I've been at it for about 2 1/2 years now. It's a lot of fun.

I leave the technical answers to the experts, but I will say that your hands will get pretty dirty handling the coins. I felt like i could taste the metal too. I went out to Costco and bought a box of the surgical gloves and use them when I handle the coins. I can reuse the gloves many times so it isn't too expensive, and I think the safety aspect is worth the extra money.

Happy hunting.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Zomotion. I actually didn't see this before you responded. But the tellers seem pretty cool about it. The one that processed it joked "we don't want those back, you just got them." But had a smile on her face.

Yeah if the teller said jokingly "we don't want those back" ... They really don't want them back.

Not sure if you're married but when my wife says jokingly "that's a great idea" that means code for don't you bleeping do it

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Gracie girl, I think gloves might be a good idea.. maybe a dust mask too?

zomotion - good point...

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
a buddy i work with (i work about 90 mins away from where i live) came into town today for lunch. he metal detects and wanted to try my yard, so we grabbed lunch and then I headed over to the bank (different branch) to see if they had any customer wrapped rolls since Rick said that was the way to go while my halves were being ordered.

I walked in and asked the teller if she had any halves, she said she didn't and asked another teller, that teller said they had some in the vault. and she said she had to ask someone else. I also asked her if she had any customer wrapped rolls. She looked strangely at me. "You mean like this?" And she pointed to her chair, I think the last customer had just brought in a bunch of rolled coins. "Exactly like that." I said, "how much is there?" $298 I think, I don't know let me count it again. Meanwhile the lady at the drive through came out after being told I was interested in halves. I asked her how many she had, and she looked offended and said "I can't tell you that." "Uh... okay, do you have a box?" "No." "Okay then can I have $50?" "Sure." She didn't seem to happy about it. She went back to the vault and brought them back while the teller was asking me if had brought something to carry all of this change in... I didn't have anything, so she gave me the coins in 3 separate trash bags. Luckily my friend was there and he could help. I walked out of there wondering why that one teller was so cryptic about the halves. Maybe she wanted to hunt them?

We returned and my friend MD'd some of the lawn, he found some pennies, and an iron bar, some tin foil and then a smallish coin/button, we're not sure what it is.

I looked real quick through the halves, they were in brown wrappers. And I found a few 40%'s! I knew I had to go back to the bank and get more. I checked my bank account... not much left in there... bills to pay on the first... but there was silver in there!

I went back to the bank and the teller said "back already that was fast." I asked to buy more halves and said I'd take $500. The bank truck was out front and something was happening in the vault so she told me to take a seat. Multiple people with offices asked me if I needed anything. I explained what I was doing to one guy and I think I confused him. He later came back and said "oh are you a collector?" And I said "I uh, sort through them." And he said "oh looking for silver." and seemed kind of annoyed. Another guy came out and helped the teller. I swiped my card, and gave them a $100 bill. I brought a canvas bag this time. The male banker told me to take a seat and he'd bring them out. Then he told me to go take a seat in his office, joking asking if I had brought a cart. He brought them out in a box. (Remember offended lady said she didn't have a box when I came on the first trip?) Interesting.

I only share all of this detail because I felt like both bank visits today felt weird. Is this how your bank trips go?

I opened the box real quick and saw a mix of wrappers. "Oh we just opened the box to see if they were all there." I walked to my car.

I got home and thought that I got someone elses dump :( The brinks wrapped halves were slit on the side to see if there was silver. Maybe this person is the reason the bank was so weird about me asking for halves.

But there were still some of the brown ones so I looked through there. More 40%'s!

I had to go do some work for the evening so had to get back on the road. I got back in about midnight to an e-mail saying my bank account was low. I realized on the ride home that I needed to sort through these coins quick and get the money back into the bank.

There was also one loomis wrapper. One of the brinks wrapper had "good" written on it in pencil but didn't have anything in it.

I went through one of the penny wrappers earlier and pulled out any pre-82 pennies. I saw someone else was doing that too and I had started doing that with the change I got back so why not with the coin hunting too. After a quick internet search I found out that 82 pennies are sometimes zinc and sometimes copper, so I just decided to make it easy and only keep pre-82, not actual 82. There were quite a few pre 82's so it felt like I was being productive. Do you guys save pre-82's?

Then I moved to dimes, realizing that quarters and dimes were going to be the quickest way to fill my bank account back up. I plan to find another branch nearby (I called another bank (different company) in walking distance and asked if they had a coin machine, they said no, I told them I had a lot of coins and asked what I could do, they said as long as they were rolled I could bring them in. I need to open a dump bank... i just feel like with some many branches of my own bank nearby that it shouldn't be a problem, but multiple of you have told me otherwise.

Anyway the first roll of dimes I did I found a 64! And then the rest of the dimes and quarters were clad. I did find a canadian quarter which faked me out. I replaced it with a US quarter even though the Canadian quarter is worth a ton less then our quarters right now. It was funny to find the occasional random coin in the rolls, a nickel instead of a quarter, a penny instead of a dime. I'm on to you lady who rolled these...

I'm stokked on finding a 64 dime! and getting some 40% halves. I'm going to try and go back and get all of the brown wrappers halves from the bank tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Do you think the brown wrapped ones and the box of brinks were from the same person? And they just weren't collecting the 40%?

Future posts won't be this long I promise. I'm just excited because this is all new and I'm finding silver :)

I appreciate your responses to my questions you're helping a ton, thank you!

Today's finds: 1 '64 dime and 7 40% halves.

10:29.jpg

It's 224am. I need to sleep, I haven't been awake this late in a while.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Bank, Rockland trust, and DCU credit union have self serve coin machines in my area. Nice pickup !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread