Jims CRH Log

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...bank visits can be awkward. Lots of factors can be at play as to how they react to you: other annoying crhunters, sniping tellers, being dumped on too often, "greedy" people asking for silver coins, etc. You just need to be friendly. You'll get use to it somewhat over time. Some banks treat me negatively at the get go , but most are fine.

The crhunter that slices down the sides definitely did not deposit the brown rolls with 40%'s. That kind of hunter has no interest in the numismatic value of coins and is just looking for quick silver. Although it's easy to pass on those sliced rolls, in some instances it makes sense to buy all of them because it helps the bank clear out their halves (but if the person is dropping them off every week-forget it). You want to become someone that your pickup banks perceive as helping them out. Of course you need a dumping system and dump banks are a little more difficult to keep happy.

Keep on rolling.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
He later came back and said "oh are you a collector?" And I said "I uh, sort through them." And he said "oh looking for silver." and seemed kind of annoyed.

My recommendation: Never just say "I sort through them." If they ask if you are a collector, I always tell them yes I'm trying to build sets blah blah blah. That isn't a lie and it doesn't sound like you are trying to make a quick buck.

It sounds like they have a hunter who dumps coins there, so they probably aren't fond of CRHers. Usually if you say you are a collector, you can have an interesting conversation and maybe even get called by that bank again. I've gotten called a few times by one of my favorite branches and I take all their weird money off their hands.

Is this how your bank trips go?
No. It sounds like you are dealing with a dump bank and they probably don't enjoy CRHers. If you make it a regular stop and pick up whatever they have, they may warm up to you.

I got home and thought that I got someone elses dump :( The brinks wrapped halves were slit on the side to see if there was silver. Maybe this person is the reason the bank was so weird about me asking for halves.
This would be my guess as well.

I had to go do some work for the evening so had to get back on the road. I got back in about midnight to an e-mail saying my bank account was low. I realized on the ride home that I needed to sort through these coins quick and get the money back into the bank.
I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but don't overdraft your account just to hunt coins. It isn't worth it. You can do what you like, just offering some friendly advice.

I went through one of the penny wrappers earlier and pulled out any pre-82 pennies. I saw someone else was doing that too and I had started doing that with the change I got back so why not with the coin hunting too. After a quick internet search I found out that 82 pennies are sometimes zinc and sometimes copper, so I just decided to make it easy and only keep pre-82, not actual 82. There were quite a few pre 82's so it felt like I was being productive. Do you guys save pre-82's?
Personally, I don't any more. I did up until a year ago. My mother died and funeral expenses were more important than saving copper cents. I dumped them (re-rolling all of it), and it was $125 used for a better purpose than hoarding it. I haven't looked back and only look for Indian Head Cents, wheats, proofs, and BU coins to fill my books.

Do you think the brown wrapped ones and the box of brinks were from the same person? And they just weren't collecting the 40%?

It's hard to say about who brought the 40%ers in, but I can almost 100% guarantee that it wasn't the CRHer. The roll slicer is obviously only looking for silver, so they would've kept it.

Congrats on the silvers and Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thank you for the pointers.

Rick - i don't think we have any of those banks here.

Zero - what should I be looking for for numismatic value when it comes to halves besides silver?

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
boristhespider88 - thanks so much for your response. yeah i didn't overdraft, but it it sure is close. Now i'm sitting here this morning trying to figure out what to do with all of these coins and how to go ask for the rest of those brown rolls of halves...

it sounds like just silver hunters aren't looked upon very well here. Thats all I knew to really be looking for, besides error coins. Can you guys help me out with what to be looking for? I guess I should start some books. When I get to my parents over thanksgiving they have my old books from when I was a kid.

thank you all for the helpful tips!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
boristhespider88 - thanks so much for your response. yeah i didn't overdraft, but it it sure is close. Now i'm sitting here this morning trying to figure out what to do with all of these coins and how to go ask for the rest of those brown rolls of halves...

it sounds like just silver hunters aren't looked upon very well here. Thats all I knew to really be looking for, besides error coins. Can you guys help me out with what to be looking for? I guess I should start some books. When I get to my parents over thanksgiving they have my old books from when I was a kid.

thank you all for the helpful tips!

I would buy a copy of Red Book and if you want to look for errors, the Cherrypicker's Guide.

Red Book:
http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-United-States-Coins/dp/0794842151

Cherrypicker's Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/07948...kers+guide&dpPl=1&dpID=51wWs+23PFL&ref=plSrch

I would shop around though because you can get those for less at other places.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for that tip, I picked up a 2011 red coin book at a used bookstore. I need to spend some more time with it.

My current strategy is that finding silver on edges is a great initial way to look through the coins, halves, quarters, dimes, because that way you can quickly filter out things before the 70's. To me that's a good starting point to find interesting coins.

I spend more time looking at the actual dates of nickels and pennies. Pre 82 for pennies means interesting coins. Grabbing nickels from the 60's and earlier is an interesting coin to me. Is that similar to your alls strategies too? In fact I'm going to go through some roll of nickels and pennies right now while I figure out what to do with all these coins. I'm thinking about taking them all to a branch about 20 minutes away and getting cash for them, then going and picking up those brown wrapped halves at the other branch. I don't think starting a dump account with all of these rolls is a great way to start since you usually have to sit down and fill out paperwork to get started.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Grabbing nickels from the 60's and earlier is an interesting coin to me. Is that similar to your alls strategies too? In fact I'm going to go through some roll of nickels and pennies right now while I figure out what to do with all these coins. I'm thinking about taking them all to a branch about 20 minutes away and getting cash for them, then going and picking up those brown wrapped halves at the other branch. I don't think starting a dump account with all of these rolls is a great way to start since you usually have to sit down and fill out paperwork to get started.

I only keep 1938s, 1939s, and 1950-D nickels, along with war nickels and pre-Jeffersons. I started saving pre-1960s and I stopped that when I built up about 60 or 70 dollars worth and dumped those.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a serious numismatic kind of guy but I definitely don't like knife cuts down the sides of my coins. Besides silver, I look for the no fg halves and s-mint proofs. I don't take the time to look for errors, but if I see something odd, I'll keep it sometimes. I also collected the NIFC halves 2002-2015 but I have 4 almost complete sets and don't really want anymore. Good luck hunting!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to work on not being so verbose... but I've got stories to tell! I try to BOLD the important parts for skimming.

Woke up this morning and was trying to figure out what to do with the coins that I had stayed up last night sorting through, $355 in quarters and dimes. Plus the box of halves that were obviously already rooted through. I found another branch 20 minutes from my house and my wife graciously went with me.

I handed her the canvas bag of quarters and dimes to which she thought was to heavy so I asked her if she could grab the box of halves. easier to grab onto. We entered the bank and a person in the lobby grabbed the box from her and said he'd put them behind the counter so we didn't have to carry them.

He then came over and said something along the lines of, did you get those from another bank or have you been collecting all your life we never see that many halves. I said I got them from another bank and that I was a collector. (Taking a tip from Boristhespider88)

Got to the teller, she had to ask if she processed the whole box or each roll individually. She was told each roll. Then she found one half outside of the wrapper. I remembered trying to get one back in the wrapper before packing it up and it being stubborn, it must have came back out in transit. "Where does this one go do you know?" She talked asked another bank member what she should do and was told she had to find out where it went and started opening the rolls. After not finding them in 3, I told her that I'd just take the box back and reroll them because it was turning into a hassle. She took the quarters and dimes though.

Went back to the bank where I got the brown rolled halves and found some 40% and wanted to buy some more. A guy in the line stared at me for quite a while, I don't know if it's because I had a canvas bag and he was trying to figure out what that was about. I told the teller I was there yesterday and had bought some halves and wanted to buy some more, specifically the brown rolled ones. She said she'd have to ask. She asked the lady in the back that said she didn't have a box yesterday... and came back and said they didn't have any but they could order some for me. I left feeling like the lady had most likely lied again because she didn't want to go to the vault to get the halves... I dunno maybe the truck came and picked them up? I doubt it because the truck was there on my second trip there yesterday and they still had them.

On our way home we noticed a bank near us was having an open house or something, there were balloons and people grilling outside. Knowing I needed to open a dump bank, I walked there and asked if they were having a party, they told me it was customer appreciation day. I told the teller I wasn't a customer. She said you can become one. I didn't even realize that there was a bank there. Actually it's a credit union. I asked her what I would need to open an account and she gave me the spiel. I asked her if there was a coin machine, she told me there was one in the vault, but that they could also take rolled coins. I told her I'm a collector so I have a lot of coins that I go through, she seemed un-phased. Since I hadn't become a member yet I thought that if it was going to be an issue she would tell me. I came back, signed up for an account and now have a dump bank. They seem really friendly. Thanks Rick for suggesting a credit union.

Went through the nickels and the pennies today. Here's my finds. I guess that Canadian quarter is from last night.

10:30.jpg

Canadian quarter, Canadian penny. What do you guys do with foreign coins?

Red marked nickel - seems like a coin roll hunter did that. And a pretty jacked up dime.

A few older jefferson nickels 49-69.

And two wheat pennies!

The penny rolls all pretty consistently had 51c in them, I found that interesting. Why do you think that was? Since all of the coins came from the same customer it made me wish I would have paid more attention the quarters and dimes. Maybe I missed out on some free money. I will from no one be more conscious of that. I also have a tendency to want to do things as effectively and efficiently as possible so I found myself hurrying as I sorted through the coins and occasionally feeling like it was work. I had to intentionally remind myself this is a relaxing hobby. I like that it slows me down.

I think the person that rolled them had a cat, because my eyes burned as I looked through them.

Also found like 6 pennies in the coin star. I might be getting a metal detector too. I'm hooked. :)

Need to wrap a bunch of pre 82 pennies I'm going to hang onto. Now they are readily available. Maybe in 30 years they will be as hard to find as wheats. Who knows. I'll store some now, can't hurt.

I also need to rewrap the halves. I think my credit union (dump bank) is closed on Saturdays so it might have to wait.

Anyway... I'm going to go look over my used copy of the coin red book from 2011 and learn some things. Excited about the wheat pennies, hoping to find more and maybe some buffalo nickels in the future. And even things older than those!

Thanks everyone. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
i'll be on the road for the next week but when I return I should have a box of halves waiting for me at my bank hopefully filled with silver. See ya in a week. Happy November.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
haha i'm obsessed.

picked up $60 of halves in CWR at a bank where I had a meeting today. and they had one in the teller drawer too.

First time skunked.

The person who put wrapped them put their name and phone number on them. Think I should call them? j/k ;)

Bought a used metal detector and practiced a bit. Here's to hoping I find a treasure chest full of gold.

Happy hunting.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Ran home for an hour today been on the road. Picked up my box of halves on the way out of town.

They passed it over the counter and I as I walked away I saw this...

nosilver.jpg

The bank manager smiled and said "good luck"

I handed the box to my friend in the passenger seat and got back on the road. "Never a good sign when NO SILVER is written on the box" I told him.

I let him pick through them since he mentioned that he would enjoy it and would let me keep it all. Plus I figured if it said no silver then it wouldn't be that big of a loss. I grabbed a couple and looked through at red lights. Initial look through just looking for silver. He went through the whole box in less than than the hour it took to get to our destination.

The box lied.

9 40's and 1 90. :)

liars.jpg

I told my friend he could pick one to keep and he picked the 64 :) He got me a real good deal on the metal detector I just bought used and has been showing me the ropes.

I'll sort through the rest of the coins soon looking for errors or any NIFC.

Best box yet! Excited that the words on the top weren't correct. What do you think that was about?

I asked the teller to order me another box :) I'm hooked!

Also am trading a $5 star note for 5 silver dimes. First deal on IG.

Happy hunting.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice box, the teller should have written that on my second box today, that was truly a "No Silver" Skunk. My first box today gave the average 1. I'll take it, and I got 5 boxes ordered for next week. Detecting today too Quarter, dimes, buff, indians, wheats, almost ran the table only missing a silver dollar.
11-05today.jpg 11-05.jpg

Really nice "No Silver" box to get you hooked ! Happy Hunting

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
that's awesome, i haven't found a coin yet dirt fishing but hope to find many!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
hey guys i'm going to be on the road again for a bit.

Do you think I'll be able to just go into any branch of my bank and pick up boxes of coins? I'd like to pick up 2 boxes of pennies, 2 boxes of nickels, a box of dimes, and a box of quarters for over thanksgiving when I'm with my parents. Would I need to special order those?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to if you hit up multiple different branches. The boxes they have on hand are intended for customers and businesses so you might get the cold shoulder if you ask for all that at one branch.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread