C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up all of the coins I wanted for thanksgiving break at one bank. Didn't think they'd give me them all, but they did. Also asked for customer rolls, I asked for halves and she was so excited to get rid of them said they had been trying for months.

$200 cwr halves - Skunked :(

whole rolls of the same date, was hoping to find a whole roll of old dates but no such luck.

Having a hard time not cracking open the other coins :) next week!

happy hunting everyone.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
my parents neighbor heard i was collecting coins and gave them a peanut butter jar 1/4 filled with pennies. sorted them tonight. a handful of pre 82's no wheats. nice of the neighbor to think of me!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanksgiving break has come. Hoping to make this a new family thanksgiving tradition. Never searched any boxes besides halves so it will be interesting to see what I get in the other boxes. Already went through and picked out the silver from the half box a couple weeks ago. What do you think my oldest coin will be? Hoping to fill up some books.

coins.jpg

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks graciegirl, happy thanksgiving to you too!

here are the finds thus far:

just searching my mom's change bucket we found 2 wheats :) I feel like in the 90's wheats were a lot lot more common am I right?

wheats.jpg

Also going through my moms change bucket we filled up most of this dime book. Dang elusive 2009's. I'm sure once I crack that box of dimes we'll fill that thing up quick.
dimes.jpg

I like it when you find foreign coins that are worth more than what you're searching. This is 20 pence, worth about 31 cents. Found in a nickel roll.
pence.jpg

And my favorite find, in the first roll of nickels I hunted. :)
buf.jpg

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of losing track of what I'm finding... oldest wheat I found was a 1919!

wheat.jpg

Here's the beautiful junk I don't want you in my books pile. Does anyone want these coins for the cupholder in their car? ;)

junkcoins.jpg

And then my dad and I did a quick search of a box of dimes and he found 3 silvers!

silverdimes.jpg

The most fun is doing this with my parents. My mom and I sorted the box of pennies and we're filling up penny books together. I bought her a 70's to now penny book and she's completing the previous book that she started as a kid.

And I got to put some coins like that 1919 wheat into one of my grandfathers (dad's dad, who passed when I was young) books that he did. It feels neat to be contributing to something that he started. It's also fun to see my grandmothers (passed when I was in middle school) handwriting in my grandfathers book. I'm liking that coins can be a family thing that can span generations.

Tomorrow is my birthday and my parents bought me a magnifying glass with a light. They gave it to me today early since we've been hunting already. :)

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there you go then ! It's why I'm giving starter nickel sets as birthday gifts.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick, what's a starter nickel set?

It's my birthday! My parents gave me a proof set from my birth year. Pretty cool to see such shiny coins.

Finished a box of pennies, and "finished" these books with my mom.

books.jpg

1982 is a tricky year with the small dates and large dates and zinc and copper. I just threw all 1982 in a bag and will try and figure that out later. For me large date and small date are hard to see. My parents also gave me a 10x magnifying glass with a light which is helpful!

2009 is an elusive year. But other than that we got em done. I'll keep my eye out for those 2009's.

Also with the mints, do they ship regionally? Do people on the east coast take longer to get Denver minted coins?

Opened a box of quarters with my dad, no silvers :(

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
He means a starter set like what you are doing now, filling holes in books someone else started, or giving books that have been completed.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
filled up some books off of a $500 box of quarters. missing 68d

quarters1.jpg

quarters2.jpg

Working on the territories and america the beautiful too. Slower going for that.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Happy Thanksgiving all. I hope your day has been filled with good food, family and friends and great finds :)

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A folder, a roll of nickels all pre '61, a magnifying glass. Instant hobby, easy present. That's what my starters are. Happy Hunting All !

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cowtip: I've been saying for a few years now that the 2009's are going to be tough to find in the future. Well I think the future has arrived. Noticed that you're having a time to find some, just look at my log "2009 DIME LOG", and you'll see how so few are showing up. Just the other day, was going through a dime box, got 2-Rosie's but NO 2009's. Picked up Saturday morning, $100 of CWR dimes, got 1-Merc + 1-Rosie, but NO 2009's. I've been saving the 2009 cents & dimes since they came out, now I'm ready for their rarity to show.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick - great idea for a starter! love it.

Dozer - crazy huh? 2009. who would have thought. I'm keeping my eye out for them.

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually I ask the manager if they are serviced by Brinks or Lumis. I buy from one bank and dump at the other knowing the probability of getting the same coins back are very remote.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Used my dump bank for the first time today. Dumped 50 rolls of halves. I'll have to try loose next. Got the $500 and went directly to my pickup bank. Skunked :(

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
sorted through the mother in laws change last night, a cigar box full. Found a few quarters for my books and 2 wheats and a couple of 2009's.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
finished hunting the box of dimes i started over thanksgiving, filled up the 65-15 dime books. Pulled some 2009's.

Hunting a box of nickels now, almost done, pulling some 50's and 60's. I think I found some 40's too, no wheats though.

Still got a box of cents to hunt.

I think I've filled up books of everything easy and current, cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Onto the fun stuff to find!

Happy hunting and holidays!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions