2015 log beginning in october

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be doing my updates here now that I am getting more and more established with my banks to avoid spamming the main crh forum.

Today I got wf in the area I work to sell me halves and they even offered to order me more. I bought all they had on hand ($390), and asked them to order. I also bought a box of customer wrapped nickels.

Got back to my trailer on the rig and discovered both to be total skunks. :(

Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow. I'm thinking I may lay off the nickels for a while and throw all of my bankroll at dimes while I'm here at work. Atleast, until the halves come in that is. The reason being that the dimes are just so much more readily available in this area. Kinda strange to me since it is the complete opposite at home.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think you would have better luck with dimes. But all are fun to do if you have the time and funds. Good Luck

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, did 460 mwr of halves earlier today and got skunked. Not wanting to start the month off without finding anything I went and dumped them and picked up $300 in mwr nickels. I'm still going through them, but should be done in the next couple hours.... I'll let you guys know what I find.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're discouraged by skunks this may not be the hobby for you. They come with the territory. This isn't a get rich scheme.

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
I am indeed discouraged by skunks. I won't deny it. But I don't believe anyone can truly say they arent. Skunks are discouraging, however that doesn't mean I'm going to quit. I am somewhat more persistent than that. And, I'm very much aware that this isn't a get rich quick scheme, I don't plan on making any money from this actually, I am just doing it for the fun of it.

With that being said, I expected a little more encouragement rather than a "you should just quit if you don't like skunks" type of speach. Nobody likes skunks, I just admit it more readily.

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
3 boxes of nickels and nothing in them either. There were a lot of older nickels in them. Some late 30s 40s 50s..... but no war nickels and no buffs.... I couldn't believe it...

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 boxes of nickels and nothing in them either. There were a lot of older nickels in them. Some late 30s 40s 50s..... but no war nickels and no buffs.... I couldn't believe it...

Too bad...keep it up. It should turn around.

I had a huge score of 58 silver halves with my first hunt. Then, I had skunk after skunk with a few war nickels and dimes occasionally for the next 10 weeks before any significant silver started rolling in. My next significant find was a 1918 Canadian half dollar (my most valuable CRH coin).

Keep on rolling.

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree skunks are horrible but once you get into a streak it makes it all worthwhile. I am was on a 3 box nickel skunk streak the last 2 weeks as well. It comes and goes. If you get frustrated with one type of coin go on to another and come back to your original a few weeks later or week later. Good luck and stay persistent

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another box of halfs today. Skunked. Bought another $200 in dimes and $100 in nickels afterwards. Made sure to get cwr this time as I'm losing faith in the mwr. I'm thinking the sorter used by their distributor must reject silvers. I'll let u guys know if I find anything.

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Did another box of mwr dimes yesterday and got skunked. I think I'm going to give it a rest for the rest of this week and let the banks do a little circulating. There aren't many banks here where I work and I've been hitting them pretty hard.

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
are you interested in pennies at all? I go through and keep coppers, pre 82, which there are a lot of so it feels like i'm doing well and keeps my spirits up.

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, that's something I have considered doing as well. I'm not particularly interested in the copper aspect of it yet, but it would be cool to have some wheats and look for ih.

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, went to the wf today to pick up some halves and the service manager for that location was there. I asked to buy a box of halves, she then told me there would be a fee.... uhm... ok... how much is it? She then asked me for my account information so she could see. A minute later, after checking my account, she said that she wouldn't charge me a fee for $100 or less but she couldn't give me the whole box because it's all she had and she wanted to be sure to keep some for customers. I explained that I didn't want to cause her any issues and that I would just buy whatever she felt comfortable selling me. She goes back to the back and sure enough, $100. So, whatever, I bought it, thinking to myself that the good stuff was probably in the $400 that she refused to sell me, and how I should hit her with a $2000 dump one day.

Anyways, I get back to the rig and decide I'm going to go through the $100 I was able to squeeze out of her, and....
3 1964's & 4 40%ers

Argh!!!.... now I have a problem.

So, I know where $400 worth of very potential halves are, and yet, can't get them. What do I do?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If she needs halves ask her if you can swap her customer rolls. That's the only time I would recommend this though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread