kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, guess I can "officially" start this page now. Found an error last night that I know is worth something! ...Just don't yet know how much. :tongue3:

Today folks, feast your eyes on my 1992 D dime with Strong Die Clash errors. For data-saving purposes I'm only going to post one pic, but there is currently a newer 2013 dime on eBay that has ALL the points noted with arrows - is much more clearly shown than what I'm up for just yet. The eBay coin for sale is here:
2013 P Roosevelt Dime 10c Strong Die Clash Error Obverse Reverse | eBay

And now here's my one, thin dime ;D
Tue Jul 05 14-05-24.jpg

Next to the eyebrows, you can see an upside-down L from E PLURIBUS UNUM. The "PL" is actually there, but can't get the light to show up every mark from just one position. In front and below the nose are leaves from the reverse. And down in the bend of the neck are two flame tips. Turn the coin over and you can clearly make out the entire outline of the obverse head.

:hello:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yepper that's a clash! Now for the bad news. It's not worth what the one for sale on eBay claims. Notice he just put it for sale, no bidding. I can almost guarantee that coin won't sell!

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, figured that. Plus, this is an older, circulated coin in less-than-mint condition. It also has not been....what's the word, verified? Authenticated?

Still, I'm happy! :thumbsup: It's definitely worth more than face value!!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be interesting to see how much silver you find in your small town! Hopefully there's no competition! Btw post your log here CRH Logs

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It will be interesting to see how much silver you find in your small town! Hopefully there's no competition! Btw post your log here CRH Logs
Thanks for the update. Didn't realize there is a specific section for "logs". I'll ask if one of the mods can move it.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Will be updating with some finds soon, but gotta post this first:

Have finished going through all of the nickels and quarters, as well as most of the dimes and nearly half the cents. Took the box of nickels and $200 in re-rolled dimes to a bank in another town. Thought I'd probably have to open an account there, but no, they had no problem with me coming in to dump coins for cash or, in this case, more coins. However, I wasted my time re-wrapping the coins as it is their policy that they cannot accept coin rolls that have come from individuals. So the tellers (5 of them!) opened up $200 of dimes and a full box of nickels, then ran them through the machine. When finished, the teller asked again hos much I had brought in. I told her $300. She said that someone must have left 4 cents in the machine last time it was used, because her total was $300.04. So what'd she do? She gave me the $300.04!! Walked out with a bank bag of $250 in quarters and another bag with $50 in cents, plus the 4 cents. ...No account there, no name or ID being shown, and didn't have to have them re-wrapped.

I think I'm on to something! :laughing7:

Oh, and checked the Coinstar machine at Wally World (for the first time in my life) and found a nickel and cent in the return. Has been a good day. :icon_biggrin:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome! I would stop dumping on that bank and turn them into a pickup bank if the bags turn out good. Talk to them next time and see if they will sell the half dollar bag off of the machine, you might score something good. If it is apparent that another CRHer dumps their rejects at the bank then by all means take advantage of the free coin counting although I would recommend you opening up an account there even if the account requires $100 minimum balance to avoid fees, its worth it because most banks don't like dealing with non-account holders.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure "anybody" is using this particular bank - for pickup or dumping. Was in Wal-Mart just before that and our total came to a couple bucks over $200. I tried to use the $200 in dimes, but then the cashier got this really shocked look on her face. She's always a great one to go to - fantastic, sunny personality! Anyway, she recommended we go across the street. So we walk in and I explain that I want to open an account, as well as change the coin. One of their "new accounts" people was off today and the other had just taken someone else back, so we'll sign up at a branch location. Anyway, was then sent to a teller for exchanging the coins. It was slow - 3 tellers and just us. Ended up being 5 people opening up the dimes and nickels, and everyone having a grand old time! Our teller explained that they don't normally deal with rolled coins anymore. However, it sounded like they didn't do much with coins at all, except maybe when businesses bring in their coins for deposit.

Another kick was, not one of the tellers could tell that I had re-wrapped any of the rolls. One asked where the rolls came from and I told them, but they were amazed when I showed them the difference between the factory ends and mine. Made me feel good, as the rolls I showed them were some of my first, and therefore my sloppiest.

Yes, I fully intend to see how well these coins turn out! On one hand, it's great that they take the coins, LOOSE!!, without any fees. Not sure my local bank will do that unless they're rolled....will find out soon! But if their coins are full of goodies....... :occasion14: Still have both bags out in the truck. Oh, when the teller said that they didn't normally deal with rolled coins anymore, she also mentioned that the bags are $500 bags, or 2 boxes worth. I started to say I'd just pay the difference but then she looked and saw that they DID have enough rolled quarters to make $250. So hopefully these will be older rolls that have been laying around for a long time. The wrappers look fairly old...hoping that's a good sign. Both bags are still out in the truck, as the skeeters were so horrible when we got home that I just didn't have that much fight left in me. Now I'm regretting that decision!! :BangHead: Wanting more than ever to open up a roll or two, just to see what's there. Tried to peek into the clear cents bag while in the bank but didn't notice any wheats, IHP's, or other unusual stuff...nothing except a single Canadian cent. But then it was just a brief glance.

Fair time is approaching, so should be LOTS of coins floating around in the banks then!! I did notice, however, that the tellers at this bank also do not have halves in their trays. Seems none of the banks here deal with halves anymore. From the sounds of things at Wal-Mart and at the bank, seems like everyone is trying to get away from coins altogether!

Anyway, in addition to errors, I'm gonna hoard all of the copper cents I find. If my first box was any indication, that will mean that I'll keep most of the cents, as over half of the box was copper. If that's the case, then the stack will grow fairly quickly and, once copper goes up again, they should be fairly easy to sell in bulk. ...That's my strategy, anyhow.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a good system down, good luck with that and with your coins. I avoid quarters though, I don't care if they are customer wrapped, machine wrapped, or off of the coin machine. I can only speak for my area but quarters are the absolute worst because they are always making new ones by the hundreds of millions.
Check this link out it gives the combined mintages of the Philadelphia and Denver coins meant for circulation. Last year they made nearly 3 BILLION new quarters. That's 1.5 MILLION boxes of brand new quarters lol
National Park Quarters Mintages

On the other hand you should find more errors in quarters which can be fun to look through.
Looking forward to your results!

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally went out and got the bags (in the rain). As soon as I got inside and dried off, opened up the quarters bag and found that they all look like flat rolls (quarters very loose inside) with a machine roll on one end and hand seal on the other. Opened about 10 rolls and skunked for silver. However, also found more than one 2016, which means these are recently done.

Seems the bank is making some changes - I wonder if some of the very new changes is getting away from rolls, or if these came from some other source? Maybe going to bags-only is one of the new changes. However, you would think they would also have to keep SOME amount of rolled coins on hand for customers wanting some for, say, laundromat or something.

Gonna tear into the cents in a few minutes and see what (if anything) is there. ...Maybe this will be a dump-bank after all. Will have to wait and see.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a big bank near me that accepts CWR's but will not give out CWR's to other customers because it is against their policy. I was told that they have to ship out all CWR's to their supplier (garda/brinks/loomis etc.)

However when a customer asks for rolled coins they either get machine wrapped rolls from a sealed box or a BWR (Bank wrapped roll)-- where there is a guarantee that the roll is not shorted.
Hope everything works out for you and that my post wasn't too confusing haha

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a big bank near me that accepts CWR's but will not give out CWR's to other customers because it is against their policy. I was told that they have to ship out all CWR's to their supplier (garda/brinks/loomis etc.)

However when a customer asks for rolled coins they either get machine wrapped rolls from a sealed box or a BWR (Bank wrapped roll)-- where there is a guarantee that the roll is not shorted.
Hope everything works out for you and that my post wasn't too confusing haha

How can it be confusing? It's less than 18,000 pages! :laughing7:

Had been wondering if they weren't bank-wrapped. They would have accepted the ones I brought in in rolls, but I was honest and told them I had been through them. Therefore they had to break all the rolls open. ...Guess this is still a fairly trustworthy area, as it's one of the few areas I know of where you don't have to pay before pumping gas.

Ok, have finished sorting the cents out. Ended up with surprisingly few coppers compared with the box I got last time - ended up being about 2/5 copper....which is about what I would probably 'expect'. Think I just got lucky last time.

14 wheaties: 1925, (2) 1941, 1944, (2) 1945, 1945D, 1945S, 1946, 1951, 1953D, 1957D, (2) 1958D. Ended up being short 5 cents in the $50 bag. Not to mention one that's so badly damaged that it NEEDS to be taken out of circulation!

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
2016.08.08 - Skunked on a box of nickels. ...Except for a REALLY NICE flat washer!! :BangHead:

Held out the 3 Canadians, as well as '40, '41, (2) '46-D, '48, '48-D, and (2) '49-D's. Still not sure WHY I held them out - - - just did. :tongue3:

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the switch has been made. I am ONLY searching cents now. And boy, have I found some doosies....at least for me! :tongue3:

Haven't really checked for errors yet, but the date on this 1975-D caught my eye.
2016.08.26 1975-D with slanted 5.jpg

2016.08.26  1975-D with slanted 5 - close-up.jpg

How many of you have found blank planchets in circulation? This one is zinc.
2016.08.26 blank planchet-A.jpg

2016.08.26 blank planchet-B.jpg

Anybody for a Bahamas cent??
Fri Aug 26 06-20-41.jpg

Fri Aug 26 06-20-33.jpg

Fri Aug 26 06-21-09.jpg

Fri Aug 26 06-21-13.jpg

Also found (3) 2-cent Euro coins recently - (1) from Austria and (2) from Germany. ...One of these days I'm gonna have to go back over all of these I set aside for "a closer look at another time". I hope "another time" is coming soon...am running out of room on my desk! :tongue3:

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems the 5 in the date is a little cockeyed. But I was just separating coppers from zincs at the time. ...Just happened to catch my attention. Must not be unusual though - I found a 1985 on my desk that looks the same way. ...Maybe it's just me. :tongue3:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nothing. The dates are engraved so they are all the same.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I thought it would seem awful peculiar for just one digit of the date to be "off". Hadn't taken the time to really look at them yet. Had a lot going on lately. Had to take the wife in to the hospital this morning. (Everything turned out well!!) Hopefully things will slow down some soon, but I doubt it - not until Winter fully hits! :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread