Operation Nikon D500

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to set aside some money for a new camera, specifically a Nikon D500. I thought I'd try to do this through CRH. I hope to find the coins I need after looking at $25,000 to $50,000 in halves and pulling the silver ones.

Here is the point system I'm going to use.

40% Kennedy - 1 point
90% Kennedy or Franklin - 2 points
90% Walker and older - 3 points

These point are based on what I can sell the pieces for. I'll need 333 points to be able to sell the silver and buy a new camera. Wish me luck.

Edit: OK I've decided to scrap the point system in lieu of a regular ounce calculation. My goal is 49.25 ounces sliver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've set up an arrangement with my bank to allow me to withdraw $6000 in halves each week. They'll also let me return the halves when I'm finished, but I'm looking into another drop location. My first order will come in next Thursday (25th).

Today I picked up $46 in hand rolled halves from 2 banks, and $470 in bank rolled halves. Total... a single 1967.

We'll see where it goes from here.

Totals to date:
1 - 40%

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on getting your new camera soon! :icon_thumleft:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I would really recommend finding another dump bank.... No matter if they are willing to take the coin back. Your setup will go south quickly

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another box searched. 3 40% and a Franklin.
Totals in signature line

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Six boxes this week:
3 - 40% Kennedy
1 - 90% Kennedy

Slow going so far. We'll see what next week brings.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Called a local bank today. They had $1050 in halves that had come in over the years. I got there and all the coins were CWR. Some had dates on them in the early 2000's, others were taped closed, other yet were marked with the names of the person who wrapped the coins. Several different wrapper designs, but none of the $20 rolls. Otherwise the stuff dreams are made of.

The result wasn't too bad. 7 - 40% and one 1964 90%. Most of those came from rolls marked Lowell Peterman. (Thanks Lowell Peterman).
The hunt will continue next Thursday when I get six boxes from my bank.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a visit to a local bank. They had $90.00 in halves. I got a bit excited when one of the rolls was marked "13 F" hoping it meant 13 Franklins. Saw on another roll "BF". Super excited now. I get home and look closer all rolls are marked "BF" and the roll marked "13 F" was actually "BF".

Skunked. Oh well, BF must of meant Betsy Florshime.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched 6 boxes. Only 4 - 40%.

For whatever reason the last 12 boxes has a disproportionately high number of 1995-P halves in MS that had vary nice bright edges. Not sure why they are all there, but I think it will be nice to move on from them.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I got 6 boxes. 3 - 40% slivers
This week (Today) I got 6 boxes 3 - 40% silvers

Over the last 24 boxes I've been getting dozens of nice MS 1995-P halves with bright, often still sharp, edges. Very weird. Hoping this streak comes to an end soon. Some rolls had as many a 3 of these bright 1995-P Kenedys in them.

I also set up an account with a credit union and told them that my intention was to deposit tens of thousands of half dollars. Not only did they welcome me, the person opening my account told me their coin sorter kicked out the sliver coins so I wouldn't even have to sort them before putting them in the machine!. I think I made a new friend today.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week searched $6000 in halves with only one 40%

This week searched $6000 in halves and got 13 40% halves, 8 in one box, hoping for it's sister box next week.

Totals below.

OP
OP
G

Gibbons

Greenie
Feb 17, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been 3 weeks since my update.

2 weeks ago - 3 40% silvers
1 week ago - a single Benjamin
This week I hit a jackpot, 7 40%, 3 90% Kennedys, 11 Franklins, and 7 walkers, including 2 enders.

I'm almost a third of the way there in silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread