Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using the CTX now for about 2 years-ish and found pretty much every domination of silver and clad coin....except a Half.

I went from the ATP where I had found about 5 or 6 halves and they always read a little higher than a Quarter. But for some reason even when I air test a half on my machine, it doesn't really give me a distinctive indicator that its bigger than a Quarter, plus the tone isn't as high as the Dimes-Quarters

I was just curious what others have seen for halves.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with my CTX... My Etrac you could really tell the difference with the tone and the CO #. Its just not that way with my CTX either.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only found 1 with CTX, a deep Barber and I thought it was a silver quarter before digging. It rang up a solid toned 12-47 at 12-14" in moist loamy soil. Depth indicator was pegged.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been using the CTX now for about 2 years-ish and found pretty much every domination of silver and clad coin....except a Half.

I went from the ATP where I had found about 5 or 6 halves and they always read a little higher than a Quarter. But for some reason even when I air test a half on my machine, it doesn't really give me a distinctive indicator that its bigger than a Quarter, plus the tone isn't as high as the Dimes-Quarters

I was just curious what others have seen for halves.

You havent spent any time playing with modes have you? I'd bet you run FE-Coin from your description. Also, don't cofuse the CTX with any other detector. FBS doesnt use a linear conductive scale for targets. Silver dollar coins don't read the same as your ATP either.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not the machine. I have found no less than silver 9 halves in the last 1.5 years with the ctx, even a double walker spill. Just don't descrim past 01/25 and they will come in As Jason posted on find mall

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1967 Kennedy half (40% silver) here in Canada this year, and it rang up as a 12:30 - 12:32 (in the ground) air tests at a different number though.

I doubt that helps much, but there you go.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you guys set up your machines fo BIG SILVER ?

B4326F8E-DF61-4BE0-895B-AD8E50766BD9.jpeg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with an open screen, so, all numbers and signals come up.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have the ATPRO with a NEL Storm(13") DD coil . I have found lots of deep coins and buttons etc. In an honest opinion would it be worth the move to the CTX 3030 and why because we are talking double the money considering my NEL coil on my PRO. Thanks.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The FBS Minelab machines (E-Trac and CTX 3030). are the best silver machines on the market. There is a reason they are called "silver suckers".

We have a few of the free 17" CTX coils promotion left on the CTX 3030. Only thill the end of the month or until we run out. Check out them out. https://www.bigboyshobbies.net/minelab-e-trac-metal-detector Those suckers are DEEP!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the ATPRO with a NEL Storm(13") DD coil . I have found lots of deep coins and buttons etc. In an honest opinion would it be worth the move to the CTX 3030 and why because we are talking double the money considering my NEL coil on my PRO. Thanks.

I had an AT Pro for years and loved that machine (in fact I still have it), but in April of 2018 I moved to a CTX 3030.

The difference between the two would be likened to buying a stripped down version of a car, versus a fully loaded car with every conceivable option available.

Both cars will get you to your destination, but one will get you there quicker with a much more enjoyable ride.

Any detector if placed over a relatively shallow to medium depth target with be able to locate it, it's just with what detail and information that's made available to you about said target that's the difference.

With the deeper ones (in my opinion anyway), the CTX far exceeds the AT Pro.

Don't get me wrong the AT Pro can still find deep targets, but the information comes at you differently and you are more informed with the CTX 3030.

Target separation, target ID, target trace, target sizing, multiple targets, GPS tracking, backlit screen, wireless and on and on, is what separates the two machines........VASTLY.

It took me a long time to get my head around why people wouldn't come out and explain why the AT Pro isn't in the same class as the CTX, but now owning both I understand.

The AT Max may get you closer to the CTX in some regards, but to my knowledge it's still nowhere near enough.

If you are a part time detectorist then I probably wouldn't encourage you to get a CTX, and if you hunt anywhere near where I hunt, I also wouldn't suggest a CTX.....I'm greedy that way! LOL.....

I can say without question that my quality of finds has increased with the CTX in some of the old areas that I used to hunt with the AT Pro, but in new areas I can't comment about the comparison as I've not used both.

I have found my oldest coin/token (1857) with my CTX, and way more silver than I have with the AT Pro. However my best find to date was made with the AT Pro.

I don't think anybody can answer that question effectively, as it's your time an money that will make the final call.

I know lots of people who use both, and some will swear by the AT Pro and others by the CTX.

My comment would be that I have no regrets buying the CTX, and very seldom think of my AT Pro.

I hunt with my brother occasionally who has an AT Pro, and without a doubt I find more with my CTX than he does with his AT Pro.

I hope that helps?

Attachments

• IMG_2503.jpg
    IMG_2503.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2504.jpg
    IMG_2504.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 121

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the comments. Since retirement depending on the weather, I only hunt 2 to 3 days a week in the winter. I also hunt with the Fisher F75 LTD with The NEL Tornado coil and have found some deep silver and relics. My White M6 for a cheap detector is great for shallow targets in small parks. Because soil mineralization in my area is very moderate and I don't believe I need all the bells and whistles from the CTX 3030 and I'm not knocking the machine, to me for the money the AT PRO Max with the NELs is probably the best choice. And as a side note, if you don't ground balance and keep it balanced, you're dead on deep targets. I have places where ground balancing is necessary every 50 to 100 yards. Thanks for the comments and good luck.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think there is such a thing as a "wrong detector", if you're happy (you're being anybody), then that's all that counts.

I have a Radioshack detector from the late 70's early 80's, that still works and will still find metal.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
How correct you are Geobound. In my opinion an all metal mode detector without all the mode selections like my Fisher LTD. Has is the best way to go. All metal is always the best mode for deeper targets. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread