pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a CTX many years ago and really liked it then it died. I sent it back to Minelab after getting a # for the warranty repair. I sent instructions on the mail back and they didn't follow the instructions at all.
So detector repair was covered, but the cost was about $75 to send it to Minelab.
I get nicked for duties on the repair as Minelab put the value at about $350 so I got a bill of $65 from the post office.
Went to England CTX died-returned home contacted Minelab and they never answered my emails and provided another explanation why the unit didn't work.

So it got tossed in a box that sits in a corner of the storage garage unused for the past 2.75yrs.
Now winter has come and I have a few more minutes to spare what or how should I handle this overdue project? Sell it as is with all the other extra coils, part it out, fight for warranty, suck it up and pay for another useless repair, dish them till I die....???

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would contact Jamie at Minelab and explain the situation, provide all the documentation that you can and then plan your next move from there.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree with Dan -- contact Minelab, explain the situation. Jamie is a good person to deal with -- she has been a pleasure any time I've spoken with her. Explain what happened, and I bet she will find a way to help you out. Minelab has a new repair center now, give them a chance. I've been pleased, personally.

If they can't help (and I'd be surprised), THEN you can think about your next move.

Steve

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends if you want to spend the $ on it for shipping, etc. You might want to sell it for parts and get something newer.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the new Minelab repair in Pa. was to be better than any we had before ? Am i missing something here?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the only thing you are missing, Keppy, is that when he last sent it in, it was a couple of years before the new PA repair facility opened...

That's why I think he should give it a try, again...

Steve

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is wrong with the CTX - maybe you can fix it yourself - with our help...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is still under warranty Minelab will take care of it, but it sounds like your saying it is over 3 years old, if so it is out of warranty.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a call to Minelab Customer service is in order. I find it hard to believe that they will not stand behind a $2000+ machine.

Something tells me that Minelab will make things right especially when they support this forum through their many stores that rep them.

Cheers :occasion14:

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a problem with my CTX when I first bought it and they took care of it immediately. I found their customer service to be quite good. I'd call them.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it ODD that you would throw the machine in a closet for two years broke.
I think most would of been on the phone with Minelab back then not now.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would contact Jamie at Minelab and explain the situation, provide all the documentation that you can and then plan your next move from there.

Agree with Dan -- contact Minelab, explain the situation. Jamie is a good person to deal with -- she has been a pleasure any time I've spoken with her. Explain what happened, and I bet she will find a way to help you out. Minelab has a new repair center now, give them a chance. I've been pleased, personally.

If they can't help (and I'd be surprised), THEN you can think about your next move.

Steve

I'd rather get this sorted out than letting it rent space in my head now. It's been on the back burner so long that I haven't looked into for a few yrs and your suggestions are giving me the positive feeling that I should approach this repair again with the said person. Thanks for your replies

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends if you want to spend the $ on it for shipping, etc. You might want to sell it for parts and get something newer.

Got the E-trac, Explorer, a XTerra still unopened sitting on a shelf, and the new DEUS. Liked the 3030 over the previous machines as it would be nice to learn it again for certain hunting.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is wrong with the CTX - maybe you can fix it yourself - with our help...

It just shut off one day, came back from repair burped and started up, I tested it out, loaded it up went for my annual England hunt and it died after a few minutes of testing it over there. I'm grateful that the B&B owner gave me his E-Trac to use for 2 weeks. Tried the battery things and when I asked Minelab they won't say or would tell me what the issues were.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like a call to Minelab Customer service is in order. I find it hard to believe that they will not stand behind a $2000+ machine.

Something tells me that Minelab will make things right especially when they support this forum through their many stores that rep them.

Cheers :occasion14:

I really think it was because of the guy working for them, not the company themselves. A company is only as good as the people they employ to run the different departments.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find it ODD that you would throw the machine in a closet for two years broke.
I think most would of been on the phone with Minelab back then not now.

Lets put it down to being peeved off, fighting with customs, getting the no-reply from Minelab. Then throw in moving, selling, renovating, building.... and trying to post up the occasional find.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pepperj -- send an email to [email protected], if you are in the States. Jamie is the person there that seems to sort of "handle" service issues, and get you routed to the repair center. Let us know how it goes. I am confident they will take care of you.

Steve

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours sounds as old as mine and I had to replace my internal coin cell battery. Mine got pretty flakey before I did that. Afterwards I had to connect to xchange and reload the firmware. Works great ever since.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepperj -- send an email to [email protected], if you are in the States. Jamie is the person there that seems to sort of "handle" service issues, and get you routed to the repair center. Let us know how it goes. I am confident they will take care of you.

Steve

I'm in Ontario, so I hope it can still be the same. Thanks for the link.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yours sounds as old as mine and I had to replace my internal coin cell battery. Mine got pretty flakey before I did that. Afterwards I had to connect to xchange and reload the firmware. Works great ever since.

Would yours even turn on when you having issues with the internal cell battery? Did you release it yourself or was it sent in for this replacement service?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread