Older model CTX3030 Water leak question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently acquired a first generation CTX3030.

I am concerned about the water leak in the battery compartment etc. I have been reading so much about.

What do you guys recommend?

Are there new seals available I can buy?
Grease the contacts?
Rubber Band around battery locks?

Does Minelab Service Department have a fix if I send it in?
It’s still in Warranty for 1 year, I just don’t want a brick if I can help it.

For a machine of this caliper this should have never happened in the first place especially for the cost.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and anticipated fast response.

247ECDC2-B38D-4B30-96AF-01DBF4A6E50E.jpeg

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently acquired a first generation CTX3030.

I am concerned about the water leak in the battery compartment etc. I have been reading so much about.

What do you guys recommend?

Are there new seals available I can buy? Yes, buy one of the oversized seals. Most dealers sell them. I advise against silicon greasing the seal. Sand likes to collect on grease. Just wash and dry the gasket each time you use it at a minimum.

Grease the contacts? Wont hurt if you mean dielectric grease.

Rubber Band around battery locks? Wont hurt. I use a band that came around broccoli bundles.

Does Minelab Service Department have a fix if I send it in? imo, the aftermarket gasket is better than anything ML has.

It’s still in Warranty for 1 year, I just don’t want a brick if I can help it. Treat it like any piece of expensive electronics. If you aren't constantly dunking it, your odds are extremely good and they aren't bad so long as you keep everything clean and dry after each use.

For a machine of this caliper this should have never happened in the first place especially for the cost. imo and from your post, you knew the deal before you bought one, so you have accepted the challenge with open eyes.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and anticipated fast response. Wisdom ha, I Wish. Mine is long out of warranty and I have yet to have any problem. I get it wet and in salt water too, but if I know I am going to dunk my machine that day, I leave the CTX at home and take the Excal. Good Hunting!

View attachment 1535906

^^^^^

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I appreciate it.

“imo and from your post, you knew the deal before you bought one, so you have accepted the challenge with open eyes.”

You are correct nevertheless I expect more from a company that creates some of the most expensive detectors in the world. A submarine is only as air tight as its weakest hatch.

1CCBB4AC-4D61-4C72-A2CC-EDCDECA30783.jpeg

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run the new minelab seal in older ctx no problems so far.
I wouldn't mind getting the new housing and putting it on myself instead of having to send it in to them.

OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any suggestions on what and where to buy in regards to the seal?

Many thank yous
1E7D5D2F-3516-41BF-BC0F-E41E55CBDF27.jpeg

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it was around 3 years ago the issue of CTX leakage came up and Minelab issued upgraded o-rings for a fix. There was a huge conversation on TNet around a fellow from Europe who modified his, and dove to near 200 ft successfully. During the conversation, he also mentioned the USB port and sealing that as well - a very long and informative thread. It would take some serious searching to find that thread again.

Kellyco used to stock the new o-rings.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ, please do not quote a member's post then edit the members actual post, you can quote sections at a time if you wish then answer below each quote.

Waterscoop

If you use a non Minelab approve gasket and send it in to Minelab for work for leaks the non approved gasket will void the remaining warranty.

Use the new gray sand gasket by Minelab, flat side goes in first, round side makes contact with battery. Grease attracts sand.

Check battery compartment after each hunt, if battery ever leaks flush out the battery compartment with fresh water then spray electrical contact cleaner after it dries.

If the battery is leaked on with salt water flush the battery contacts in battery with fresh water, shake all water out with contacts facing down, set it on table contacts down After it dries spray it with electrical contact cleaner.

Send detector in and let the repair center check it out before warranty expires.

Good luck.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Champ, please do not quote a member's post then edit the members actual post, you can quote sections at a time if you wish then answer below each quote. .....

TH, just to be clear to everyone , I did not change a bit of the OP's words. (I don't think you took it that way, but your post can be read that way). I am very sensitive when mods change my text and I would never do that to someone.

That said, I wasn't aware of a rule violation in presenting my answers the way I did. Waterscoop seemed OK with it. But as you have asked, I will not do that in the future. I simply wont reply. Its too much aggravation to have to do all those quotes when it is broken up like that. I'm sure the world will suffer greatly because of this.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post here.

Only thing I would add is check the seal EACH and EVERY time you take the battery off and on.
I have the original seal and battery on mine and she still works well. They new CTX 3030 version seal is much improved and almost dummy proof. I dont think I have had any customers have a leaking issue with new improved version.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, just to be clear to everyone , I did not change a bit of the OP's words. (I don't think you took it that way, but your post can be read that way). I am very sensitive when mods change my text and I would never do that to someone.

That said, I wasn't aware of a rule violation in presenting my answers the way I did. Waterscoop seemed OK with it. But as you have asked, I will not do that in the future. I simply wont reply. Its too much aggravation to have to do all those quotes when it is broken up like that. I'm sure the world will suffer greatly because of this.

I know you did not change his words and it was not my intent to imply you changed his words, but when a member quotes someone and replies inside their quote it makes it appear their answers are his words. We have had problems in the past with members editing and changing words in quotes.

As far as breaking a quote down into multiple fragments it is quite simple to do, we do it all the time, you just use a master quote to work from. Example below took me less than 15 seconds to do to seperate your post for multiple quotes, you just copy and paste the lead and rear quote brackets for each segments you want to reply to.

That said, I wasn't aware of a rule violation in presenting my answers the way I did. Waterscoop seemed OK with it. But as you have asked, I will not do that in the future.

I simply wont reply. Its too much aggravation to have to do all those quotes when it is broken up like that. I'm sure the world will suffer greatly because of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WaterScoop

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my answer from Experienced CTX Members, PAST archive posts, a moderator
And a sponsor dealer.

This is “THE” place to obtain knowledge when it comes to the treasure topic.

Thank you Treasure-Hunter for clarifying that a NON Minelab seal gasket will void the rest of the warranty.

To all those who helped me please accept a sincere

51057CD2-D476-4D5A-8F16-2F7A6962D2A1.jpeg

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Waterscoop, if you ever do have a warranty repair on anything, be sure to remove anything that isn't stock before sending it in. And I couldn't agree more with the above advice to clean and clean again the gasket. Also, don't squirt a hose under any significant pressure when washing off your machine- gentle flow of clean fresh water is the best.

TH, could you show me the rule about quotes that you called me on above. I cant seem to find it. Thanks!

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For poops and giggles I emailed the new PA minelab repair center to see about the update for mine.
The lady acted like she had no idea what I was talking about except for the arm rest upgrade so I fail to see how the new center is any better. I even emailed the LINK from minelab and she said that is just a sand seal.
I will just keep running the new seal in my old setup I guess for now.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For what it's worth, GreenMeanie, I don't think you actually emailed the repair center in PA. Emailing to the "[email protected]" address actually sends the email to Minelab corporate, and then they act as an intermediary to get you an RMA number to send your machine TO the actual repair facility. A probably trivial technicality, I know, but just wanted to let you know. My point is, talking to someone at Minelab corporate should not cause you to "judge" in any way the quality of repairs done by the new repair facility in PA. That's likely not even who you talked to!

Steve

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK good to know.
I still had the EMAIL in Trash and you are right it was sent from minelab americas in IL.
I apologize to the PA branch for my mistake.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.......TH, could you show me the rule about quotes that you called me on above. I cant seem to find it. Thanks!

Sorry, did I hit a nerve? Just wanted to bump this in case TH has been ill and hasn't seen my question.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, did I hit a nerve? Just wanted to bump this in case TH has been ill and hasn't seen my question.

This should have been addressed through a pm as per our rules, please address any further questions via PM. Thanks

Rule on editing quotes.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread