relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am currently used to using the Explorer SE Pro. I do mostly Woods hunting around old Cellar holes. My main question and the most important thing to me is does the CTX have ferrous sounds. I am extremely used to this feature and it's the only way I ever run my machine. Any of you CTX users used Ferris sounds?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can make just about any sound you want it to make.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also go with the Coiltek 10 x 5 if you are doing a lot of brush hunting.

There are no holes for branches and crap to get caught up in, and the smaller size allows you to get closer to big rocks or walls and such.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relic lover --

I see you are from western PA -- I'm a western PA native myself! Where abouts are you from?

Anyway, I saw your question about ferrous sounds on the CTX. While you CAN run that way, it's a whole different beast from the SE Pro, because of the way the ID numbers are set up on the CTXZ (and E-Trac). As you probably know, most all good targets' FE numbers are "normalized" to "12" -- totally different than the Explorers. While you CAN run a "two-tone ferrous" setup, for instance, which some folks like to do (as you really are trying to key on targets with a ferrous number around "12"), I think you my find that the better way to run is using "combined" tones. It's hard to describe until you have the machine "in hand," but basically you set your iron targets into one "audio bin," and assign a low tone to those targets, and then you set up four audio bins of various conductive IDs -- say 0-11 at tone 1, 12-15 at tone 2, 16-30 at tone 3, and then 30 and above at tone 4. That's just one example, you can set those bins however you like, based on the types of items you are targeting. Bottom line is that this is a very effective way to set up the audio on a CTX.

Just my two cents.

Steve

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relic lover --

I see you are from western PA -- I'm a western PA native myself! Where abouts are you from?

Anyway, I saw your question about ferrous sounds on the CTX. While you CAN run that way, it's a whole different beast from the SE Pro, because of the way the ID numbers are set up on the CTXZ (and E-Trac). As you probably know, most all good targets' FE numbers are "normalized" to "12" -- totally different than the Explorers. While you CAN run a "two-tone ferrous" setup, for instance, which some folks like to do (as you really are trying to key on targets with a ferrous number around "12"), I think you my find that the better way to run is using "combined" tones. It's hard to describe until you have the machine "in hand," but basically you set your iron targets into one "audio bin," and assign a low tone to those targets, and then you set up four audio bins of various conductive IDs -- say 0-11 at tone 1, 12-15 at tone 2, 16-30 at tone 3, and then 30 and above at tone 4. That's just one example, you can set those bins however you like, based on the types of items you are targeting. Bottom line is that this is a very effective way to set up the audio on a CTX.

Just my two cents.

Steve

Great post here with good info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread