Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you ground balancing the machine before you dig? Mine does not do that.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes my pinpointer will cause that. When you do the noise cancellation, make sure your pointer is turned on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ground balance before you dig every target? I do not do that.

No you do not ground balance before every target, he was asking if you ground balance at start of hunt. You should ground balance at start, if you change areas your hunting, if you move to an area that has more ground noise you would gb again.

Bigdob

Aug 1, 2016
IL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine will do that, if I don’t noise cancel with the pinpointer on , also I set the machine as far away as I can reach seems to help , and I’ve just got a pair of Black Widow Headphones and now I can set the detector down and flip the limiter switch and quiet things down until I’m done digging.
If your running the machine “hot” it’s going to be noisie too
It’s a Minelab ��

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a feature ask... I am trying out using a 920i scoop and the CTX senses it 3 feet away. Many targets so small I need to use a pinpointer and can’t hear it. Best way to silence the setup is to put the scoop and CTX at 90 degrees from each other and maybe leave the CTX on pinpoint mode.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A detector will not sense a non-ferrous object (like a scoop) unless one or the other has movement. Since the coil pulses equally below the coil plane as above, avoid placing anything metal along that axis. Typically, you keep the scoop away from the coil just to avoid the initial squeal. The larger metal mass of a scoop may also destabilize the balance and cause a wandering tone as the detector loses null.

If there are a variety of random pops it is likely man-made interference or, if late in the day, it can be distant electromagnetic pulses from lightning (which are vertically polarized and show up when the detector coil is vertical, e.g., the detector is set down). If you hunt early and noise cancel at the start, when it's dark out, it may be necessary to noise cancel later when people wake up and start putting out EMF (the TV and microwave come on). Stopping to noise cancel every 30-40 mins wouldn't hurt, especially if you're hunting near population centers.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I set my detector down to dig a target the detector beeps and squeaks and squeals and grunts. It makes all sorts of noises. Is there anything quick and temporary that I can do to stop this? Such as pressing a button to disable the audio or to set the sensitivity to zero?

Heres what I do:

1) make sure the coil is facing the ground when you set the detector down.
2) Buy a set of ear phones with a flip switch to turn the volume off. I use Sun Ray Pro's and wont detect without them.

Hope that helps.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will still be the threshold and a bit of noise when setting the machine down to retrieve a target, I bought a pair of SunRay Pro Gold headphones that have a 3 way switch on the front right muff. The middle position lets you hear the machine and the up and down positions will silence the machine. I just flick the switch down while I dig and then flick it back up when I am ready to detect again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread