CTX Grey Ghost Ampib Headphone Issues

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else having problems with the wiring on their CTX Grey Ghost Amphib headphones? I hardly used them went the to the beach one time and they stopped working right. My headphones started crackling sometimes or no sound at all. Checked the connection seat several times and when I move the wire it causes the crackling or lack of sound. So it is definitely the wire or bad plug. I think the wire is a little thin and the connection into the plug is not reinforced, so I am not sure even if I get it fixed it will not happen again. I have to pay the manufacturer to fix them, which is a little surprising, so I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and is worth getting them fixed or should I bite the bullet and buy a different brand? Anyone else having these issues?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very easy fix, just buy a new connector and put it on...I can send instructions and links to all you need. Just have to cut, clean, and solder 2 wires if it is the plug. Cost is less then 10.oo for new plug. Strange they would charge you but I know Detector Pro just sold out, Gary decided it was time to enjoy life.

OP
OP
WisconsinPirate

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank-You for the reply and please send instructions. Will they still be water proof after this?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes....with a few added precautions.

The connector, M-12 8 pin

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...tualkey52340000virtualkey523-12-08BMMA-SL8001

Heyco fitting and all I use is the pigtail part for the head phone wire, keeps it from doing what yours did. Breaking the cable inside.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Heyco/3237/?qs=wRLls4Gs8BDGZ3e68gV4QQ==

Basic's, you cut the coiled head phone cable a inch or so from the spot you believe there is a broken wire. So that is now gone. Next there are two wires on the GGA's, A Red and Black. Just solder those to the pins shown, and pins 5 & 6 get soldered together ..black wire................pin 7 gets red wire.

Make sure to slide all on the coiled wire, heyco pigtail, then the body of the M 12 fitting before soldering.

OBN0240.jpg

TEST to make sure it works before going to the next step. Also if you find you need a little longer coiled cord just take a hair dryer and pull a loop out strait, and heat ..but be carefull...hold strait until it cools...then that will give you another inch or so of strait cable.

Once you find all works get some 2 part epoxy, mix and do as the picture shows below. This keeps all water proof and the cable from twisting inside and causing a problem...Let dry for a few hours before using the head phones to hunt with.

OBN0134.jpg

And this is what you are trying to achieve.

A cut away to show...

OBN0339 .jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good Luck and ask if you have anymore questions...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread