CTX 3030 Firmware updates?

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a CTX 3030/XP Deus/and Nokta Impact. The latter two machines generally release improvement updates about once every 3-4 months. Ive owned my CTX nearly 3 years now, and not 1 update. Not 1.

Is Minelabs message to us that they believe the CTX to be a flawless machine not in need of updates? Considering the firmware update option was one of their selling points for selling this machine to the public in the first place, I kinda feel misled.

What changes would you like to see in future CTX updates?

I have 3:

1) Tighter ID at depth for US nickels.
2) For the machine to allow for better stability when running in manual sensitivity when deviating even 1 number higher than the Auto sensitivity level the machine decides to run at.
3) Faster response time, on par with my other 2 machines.

Maybe if we get enough input on this, we can have someone from Minelab address our concerns/questions.

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
Hi, the CTX 3030 is now considered old technology. The detector still works great but the electronics are out dated.

If I were you, sell the detector while you can still get 1/2 your money back and wait for the new CTX from Minelab. I heard rumors of a new machine to replace the CTX once Minelab gets the Equinox orders on track and shipped to everyone.

Unfortunately, when Minelab released the Equinox series, the company buried its competitors and itself.

Now, people that have been detecting for 30 years want the new faster and more accurate technology, similar to the technology in the Equinox 800.

I've seen a lot of CTX & Equinox 800 videos, I can honestly say the Equinox kills my old CTX on fine gold / small jewelry.

Places that were hunted by professionals, with the CTX, have been rehunted with the Equinox 800, and they're pulling coins and jewelry out of the ground that the CTX missed.

Equinox 800 is the hottest selling detector in the history of metal detecting beating out the competition and all other Minelab detectors hands down.

I think Minelab has a huge problem right now and it's not sales, the problem is the big money everyone paid for the CTX. Owners are mad. I would be outraged if I still owned my CTX.

Think about it, a $900 detector by the same company goes head to head and in some cases beats one of its most expensive detectors, the CTX, in every test. It's like buying a 2018 BMW M SERIES and within a week of your purchase, BMW releases a 2018 1/2 for less money, more options, updated technology and a faster 0 to 60 ratio.

It's my guess that Minelab will soon offer an electronics upgrade to current owners for a minimal fee to try and keep CTX owners happy.

Just my opinion after over 35 years of detecting.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, the CTX 3030 is now considered old technology. The detector still works great but the electronics are out dated.

If I were you, sell the detector while you can still get 1/2 your money back and wait for the new CTX from Minelab. I heard rumors of a new machine to replace the CTX once Minelab gets the Equinox orders on track and shipped to everyone.

Unfortunately, when Minelab released the Equinox series, the company buried its competitors and itself.

Now, people that have been detecting for 30 years want the new faster and more accurate technology, similar to the technology in the Equinox 800.

I've seen a lot of CTX & Equinox 800 videos, I can honestly say the Equinox kills my old CTX on fine gold / small jewelry.

Places that were hunted by professionals, with the CTX, have been rehunted with the Equinox 800, and they're pulling coins and jewelry out of the ground that the CTX missed.

Equinox 800 is the hottest selling detector in the history of metal detecting beating out the competition and all other Minelab detectors hands down.

I think Minelab has a huge problem right now and it's not sales, the problem is the big money everyone paid for the CTX. Owners are mad. I would be outraged if I still owned my CTX.

Think about it, a $900 detector by the same company goes head to head and in some cases beats one of its most expensive detectors, the CTX, in every test. It's like buying a 2018 BMW M SERIES and within a week of your purchase, BMW releases a 2018 1/2 for less money, more options, updated technology and a faster 0 to 60 ratio.

It's my guess that Minelab will soon offer an electronics upgrade to current owners for a minimal fee to try and keep CTX owners happy.

Great opinion.

I'm personally happy with my CTX over the last few years and looking and reading about the NOX 800, I wouldn't think they go head to head.

Maybe in your world of hunting.

But IMO, the NOX looks cheap and goofy and while the CTX may be "Older" Technology. I have no problem pulling targets from 10+ deep with amazing accuracy on what I was expecting.

If I need to hit an area where I have limited time, and need a " Beep and Go" machine. My ATP does just that perfectly.

And to say that places that were hunted by professionals wit the CTX, he NOX is picking up what it left behind, thats not how it works.

Ive hunted areas where my buddy " hunted it out" with his Etrac and my ATP was finding stuff. I still revisit areas I haven't hunted in a couple years and find things all the time. Thats because the ground moves, or I never really went over the target well enough. It has nothing to do with a new shiny detector out of the box.

I think its great Minelab finally has a budget friendly quality detector, but to see people rave on about how much better it is than anything out there is a joke.

Now, I know how annoying I must have been when I got my ATP and would talk about how great it was

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
Great opinion.

I'm personally happy with my CTX over the last few years and looking and reading about the NOX 800, I wouldn't think they go head to head.

Maybe in your world of hunting.

But IMO, the NOX looks cheap and goofy and while the CTX may be "Older" Technology. I have no problem pulling targets from 10+ deep with amazing accuracy on what I was expecting.

If I need to hit an area where I have limited time, and need a " Beep and Go" machine. My ATP does just that perfectly.

And to say that places that were hunted by professionals wit the CTX, he NOX is picking up what it left behind, thats not how it works.

Ive hunted areas where my buddy " hunted it out" with his Etrac and my ATP was finding stuff. I still revisit areas I haven't hunted in a couple years and find things all the time. Thats because the ground moves, or I never really went over the target well enough. It has nothing to do with a new shiny detector out of the box.

I think its great Minelab finally has a budget friendly quality detector, but to see people rave on about how much better it is than anything out there is a joke.

Now, I know how annoying I must have been when I got my ATP and would talk about how great it was
Great Response!

All I am saying is this, like with anything electronic, in most cases, new is in, old is out.

For the people that are happy with the CTX, great keep it.

Anyone looking for the newest technology, sell your CTX while you can still get good money for it, put some cash in the bank and buy the Equinox 800 because no matter how anyone trys to compare both detectors, you cannot because the Equinox 800 has the latest and greatest technology, i.e. Processing Speed, Memory, Electronics etc.

At this stage of the game, if CTX owners haven't found 10x what the detector is worth buried in the ground, and you've owned the CTX since its release, then hold the CTX, don't sell it.

For the people that have more than paid for the detector 10x over with the treasure they found, it's time to cash in, sell the CTX, make a few more hundred and buy the EQUINOX 800 with the newest technologies.

It's REALLY a simple decision for those who are looking for something new and exciting.

The Equinox 800 is a joy to use, swing and water hunt with.

I can keep swinging the Equinox 800 all day long without any problems with my shoulders, arms or back.

It really is an amazing detector.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and best of luck with your hunts!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Response!

All I am saying is this, like with anything electronic, in most cases, new is in, old is out.

For the people that are happy with the CTX, great keep it.

Anyone looking for the newest technology, sell your CTX while you can still get good money for it, put some cash in the bank and buy the Equinox 800 because no matter how anyone trys to compare both detectors, you cannot because the Equinox 800 has the latest and greatest technology, i.e. Processing Speed, Memory, Electronics etc.

At this stage of the game, if CTX owners haven't found 10x what the detector is worth buried in the ground, and you've owned the CTX since its release, then hold the CTX, don't sell it.

For the people that have more than paid for the detector 10x over with the treasure they found, it's time to cash in, sell the CTX, make a few more hundred and buy the EQUINOX 800 with the newest technologies.

It's REALLY a simple decision for those who are looking for something new and exciting.

The Equinox 800 is a joy to use, swing and water hunt with.

I can keep swinging the Equinox 800 all day long without any problems with my shoulders, arms or back.

It really is an amazing detector.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone and best of luck with your hunts!

I hope I didn't come off rude or anything. I totally agree with everything you just mentioned.

And the truth is...if I would have started with a NOX, I might be singing a different tune and wondering why people would be all over the CTX.

Up until 3 years ago, I never thought I would buy a Minelab. I had always been loyal to Garrett but the more Ive done this the more I have realized that different machines tell you different things and some machines are better for different conditions.

And yes, I paid 2k for the CTX with its goodies, so like a BMW driver..I'm gonna fight it! :occasion14: :occasion14:

duggr

May 4, 2006
Fort Madison Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a silver Hunter and from what I've seen on the tube the 800 doesn't come close to the CTX for IDing a target at depth
let alone a 10" target.
The CTX has proven to do it in my case...The 800 is definately faster but it never will be a replacement for the CTX in my kind of hunting
but both the ctx and the 800 would compliment each other i'm sure

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a silver Hunter and from what I've seen on the tube the 800 doesn't come close to the CTX for IDing a target at depth
let alone a 10" target.
The CTX has proven to do it in my case...The 800 is definately faster but it never will be a replacement for the CTX in my kind of hunting
but both the ctx and the 800 would compliment each other i'm sure

Correct, Equinox wasnt designed to compete with 3030, it is a great detector, but not in same class as 3030. Nox is another detector in my arsenal along with my 3030, excals, sov gt and others. I would not be surprised to see a 3032 in the future though.

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own both the ctx and the nox as well as an atp. The nox can find stuff the ctx cant- but that comes at a cost- the nox to me is a dig it all machine.

The ctx gives you MUCH more info about what you are seeing. But at a much greater weight penalty, and can't find smaller stuff, etc like the nox picks up on.

If/when they make a CtNox- I am first in line to buy it!! Please with a big coil right away- it is killing me to not have a big coil for the nox....

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dude not to be rude, but I own both the CTX and the Equinox 800 and both have their pro's and cons I agree, but for you to say my CTX is "Old technology and to sell it and try to recover some of my money", well I don't know who you are, but that'll never happen!!!

Yes your little remarks have ruffled my feathers and just because some folks haven't developed the skills to take the time to proficiently learn the CTX and use it to it's full potential, well that's a shame, because it's was and still is a killer machine.

Just because you go behind a particular hunter and find what they miss, you're gonna judge the machine instead of the hunter? sounds like a bias statement indicating your not a CTX fan, therefore you're gonna knock it and praise the Equinox!!!

Well as I said, I own and love both, They're great machines and If you mastered the Equinox, than good for you!!! but don't call the CTX "OLD TECHNOLOGY", because I can promise you it's still a great machine once you learn how to use it!!!!!!!

Sorry if you feel I'm a bit short and to the point, but I meant to be!!!

"D"

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
Thank you for your response.

Yes, the CTX 3030 is old technology and unfortunately it's the truth.

Although the detector still works, the brains of the detector are outdated.

It's like buying any electronic device, within 6 to 12 months, it's outdated.

The CTX will continue to depreciate as newer detectors hit the market and that is why I very carefully worded what I said.

Go back and read my post again, maybe you'll understand what I was saying a little better.

Have a wonderful evening!

Best of luck with your hunts.
Dude not to be rude, but I own both the CTX and the Equinox 800 and both have their pro's and cons I agree, but for you to say my CTX is "Old technology and to sell it and try to recover some of my money", well I don't know who you are, but that'll never happen!!!

Yes your little remarks have ruffled my feathers and just because some folks haven't developed the skills to take the time to proficiently learn the CTX and use it to it's full potential, well that's a shame, because it's was and still is a killer machine.

Just because you go behind a particular hunter and find what they miss, you're gonna judge the machine instead of the hunter? sounds like a bias statement indicating your not a CTX fan, therefore you're gonna knock it and praise the Equinox!!!

Well as I said, I own and love both, They're great machines and If you mastered the Equinox, than good for you!!! but don't call the CTX "OLD TECHNOLOGY", because I can promise you it's still a great machine once you learn how to use it!!!!!!!

Sorry if you feel I'm a bit short and to the point, but I meant to be!!!

"D"

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your response.

Yes, the CTX 3030 is old technology and unfortunately it's the truth.

Although the detector still works, the brains of the detector are outdated.

It's like buying any electronic device, within 6 to 12 months, it's outdated.

The CTX will continue to depreciate as newer detectors hit the market and that is why I very carefully worded what I said.

Go back and read my post again, maybe you'll understand what I was saying a little better.

Have a wonderful evening!

Best of luck with your hunts.

Re-read ya post??? I doubt it!!! It's not worth my time!!! I'll just continue to use my CTX / Equinox compliment and I promise you, I'll have plenty of luck with my so called relic!!!

Last edited:

curious2

Sep 30, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both have their advantages. Minelab itself says its FBS machines are superior to the Etrac for deep silver; and I'd have to agree. Comparing the Nox with the Etrac in hunting coins, they usually see the same targets, but the Etrac will give better ID and depth info. That is important for park hunting, where I don't want to dig everything. For coins, at least, I usually prefer the Etrac in most settings. The exception would be places with a lot of old iron; there the Nox, with its faster speed and better separation, shines. I can also see how relic hunters might prefer the Nox.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing dated on the CTX is the option to change recovery speed and weight.
Otherwise it is still a damn good detector in my book.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac IS an FBS machine. In my field testing of an Etrac vs. CTX, my buddy and I saw no difference in depth using the same size coil and similar settings. Every target found by one machine was found by the other and the sounds were good enough on each where we wouldn't have passed any up as being too iffy. Is it possible in some instances? Sure, we just didn't find one in our beach and park hunting.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine the CTX in the Equinox form factor. No gps, no wifi, Bluetooth added.
Vibration feedback (assign to target type). Easy to install coils. Revamp of the menu system so it is easier and quicker to use.
Fine gold mode and Prospecting mode stolen from the Equinox.
I'm not sure it has been proven a good thing to have single frequency capability anymore(?)
EMI rejection/Noise Cancel that works. Ground balance Auto - forgetaboutit.
Pinpointer that links to the detector audio.
A recovery speed capability that actually works. The Equinox setting didn't seem right to me. A manual tweak to keep messing with just to make things more tolerable instead of something to really work with and adjust to get special targets.

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wish someone would add to this someday and say. Hey they finally have released the first firmware update for the Ctx and it’s a major one.

Sigh [emoji17] just waiting.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i were ML I’d tell fw engineering to put in another user programmable “knob” just to restart talk on the forums on this machine. Even the Equinox talk is getting dry.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both and both have there place but the CTX is out dated and i will be one of the first in line for a 4040. Has to be in the works. Fast Multi IQ machine with a CTX display.. sign me up. 3030 is a great machine for a coin hunter. Its not for a relic hunter thats where the Equinox takes over. The CTX just has way to much going on under the hood with an old processor which makes it very slow. The EQ lacks the info that the CTX gives and jams everything into a slim VDI scale which makes it a dig it all machine.. perfect for dig it all relic hunters.

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX doesn’t really come off as slow to me. I mean it doesn’t zip quickly between adjacent targets but that characteristic is actually what I dislike about the Equinox. I like the target stretch feature on the CTX that is missing on the Equinox. My Equinox was one of the noisy ones and I’m content being back with my CTX. The CTX is also better with the coin on edge behavior and doesn’t have the vanishing coin issue at the beach. I do think the pinpoint could be better than it is.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing it didn't seem to slow to me either.
But I am wondering if they could add a recovery speed option in a update but it may be they are done with the CTX now.

The CTX doesn’t really come off as slow to me. I mean it doesn’t zip quickly between adjacent targets but that characteristic is actually what I dislike about the Equinox. I like the target stretch feature on the CTX that is missing on the Equinox. My Equinox was one of the noisy ones and I’m content being back with my CTX. The CTX is also better with the coin on edge behavior and doesn’t have the vanishing coin issue at the beach. I do think the pinpoint could be better than it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread