Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenMeanie
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat
  • 2 Post By Divine Profit
  • 1 Post By fbjr
  • 3 Post By Bart@Big Boys Hobbies
  • 2 Post By 3cylbill
  • 1 Post By Diggin-N-Dumps

Thread: My CTX 3030 loves nails

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2007
    Elmira, NY
    Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

My CTX 3030 loves nails

Hi everyone,
    I've had my CTX for a couple of years now and really like it, but can't seem to avoid nails. I've tried changing all kinds of settings, watched tons of videos and read the book by Andy a few times and still can't seem to solve this problem. No matter what I changed, it still seems to pick up on nails both older square nails and newer nails as well. Do any of you know of a solution to this problem, they seem to ring with a high pitch and fools me 9 times out of 10. This happens even when I'm in the stock Silver mode. I'm no expert with this machine and was wondering if anyone had any good tips to fix this ? At the same time I don't want to discriminate out too much. Thanks for any input or solutions.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    5462 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    What readings are you getting? Nails can many times read 47 on the conductive side, just like quarters, but, they should read in the 30's on the ferrous side, giving you indication that it's not a good target. Now deep rusty iron can give you a chirp too good to resist, but, that shouldn't happen too often.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

us
    Jun 2006
    TreasureTerrain.com
    XP DEUS NOX 800
    252 times
    And bent rusty nails come in as good targets too.
    fbjr likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12999 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    I get some of the older hand forged nails as good targets, however in my book the 18th century nails ARE good! I keep them.
    GreenMeanie and Whatdayagot like this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Center of North America
    Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett AT Gold- Nel Attack coil. Garrett Carrot
    561 times
    I use an etrac and mainly coin hunt in multi conductive tones, and yeah nails can give a high tone but it will be a less consistent sounding tone than a good target would make.

Some things that help me are.. Lowering the sensitivity so there are less iron falsing sounds. A good target will have a much more consistent/repeating sounding signal while sweeping over it compared to the blips and inconsistent sounding sweeps that an iron false will give off.

Then a big thing that helps is being able to get that consistent/repeating signal from 2 different directions, like an X, and the signals should repeat in pretty much the exact same spot on the ground from both directions(the middle of the X). If you can only pick up the signal from one direction, or it moves when you check the 2nd direction than its most likely iron. The pinpoint feature can help in that regard too, the spot it pinpoints should be pretty exact to the spot you're getting the signal from on a good target, where as a bad target could pinpoint a little off of where the signal is coming from.

Some items will still trick us quite a bit though, like bent nails or nails that are straight up and down in the ground, or other iron items that have a shape like a coin. They can give good sounding signals.
    That's all I can think of right now, but these methods definitely help me while hunting.
    Last edited by Divine Profit; Jun 03, 2018 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    12999 times
    Banner Finds (5)
    My Tesoro Cibola jst scored a biggie in a nail and trash pit. It's a beep and go. I do keep rose head nails and preserve them and some of the CW nails from the huts. Out of the burned huts they look great.

us
    Apr 2007
    Elmira, NY
    6 times
    I always dig when the number is 12 and the other varies. Usually it's in the 40's, sometimes in the 30's and once in a great while in the 20's.

us
    Apr 2007
    Elmira, NY
    6 times
    Good info/tips! I also have an e-trac and never had this problem with that..... At least not to this extent. The e-trac took me about 1 hunting season to figure it out. The CTX is going on my 3rd season and it's still fooling me.
    Divine Profit likes this.

us
    Big Boys Hobbies

Jul 2005
    Moore Oklahoma
    Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
    642 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Profit View Post
    I use an etrac and mainly coin hunt in multi conductive tones, and yeah nails can give a high tone but it will be a less consistent sounding tone than a good target would make.

Some things that help me are.. Lowering the sensitivity so there are less iron falsing sounds. A good target will have a much more consistent/repeating sounding signal while sweeping over it compared to the blips and inconsistent sounding sweeps that an iron false will give off.

Then a big thing that helps is being able to get that consistent/repeating signal from 2 different directions, like an X, and the signals should repeat in pretty much the exact same spot on the ground from both directions(the middle of the X). If you can only pick up the signal from one direction, or it moves when you check the 2nd direction than its most likely iron. The pinpoint feature can help in that regard too, the spot it pinpoints should be pretty exact to the spot you're getting the signal from on a good target, where as a bad target could pinpoint a little off of where the signal is coming from.

Some items will still trick us quite a bit though, like bent nails or nails that are straight up and down in the ground, or other iron items that have a shape like a coin. They can give good sounding signals.
    That's all I can think of right now, but these methods definitely help me while hunting.
    Great post here! I also like to use the target trace feature. If you get lots of "iron splatter" and not a good solid target that is a good sign.

Slowing down and hitting it from several angles helps me more than anything.
    Possum, fbjr and Divine Profit like this.

Contact us for fastest and best service around!

We will beat any price or deal. Have questions on a machine?
    Bart@BigBoysHobbies.net or Call or text 405-206-9010
    Minelab Metal Detectors, Whites Metal Detectors, Garrett Metal Detectors, XP Deus, Fisher Metal Detectors, Teknetics Metal Detectors

Minelab Partner of the year award for the USA 2012. Minelab Customer service award 2012 and 2013.

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    568 times
    Metal Detecting
    all part of the game , your ctx ain't the only detector that reads good on old nails ....
    Diggin-N-Dumps and Possum like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Diggin up TEXAS!

Sep 2009
    Fort Worth,Texas
    CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
    3062 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 3cylbill View Post
    all part of the game , your ctx ain't the only detector that reads good on old nails ....

This is true...mine loves tiny steel screws down deep sometime, but only when its the ground. There are so many factors to what could be doing it I guess. I remember my ATP doing goofy stuff sometimes...still dig them thou.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links