Fork In The Road!

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is where I am now! I am happy with my ATPRO but ever since the CTX3030 came out I wanted to take on a new challenge. Ok fast forward until now. I made up my mind to purchase the 3030 and just got Andy's book today! However after reading so many posts regarding the Equinox800 I am wondering what direction to take. Just look at the viewers at this exact moment as there are 11 viewers on the Equinox site and 1 on the 3030 site! I realize I will get mixed responses and I will also post this thread on the 3030 site. Just want to get enough feedback in order to make a rational decision!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your research for the detectors! Unfortunatley I am so low-tech I can barely function on this site!

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the 3030 and the 800. If I had to give one up it would be the 800, I will always have a 3030. Good luck and happy hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are excellent machines. Both have their strong points over the other. With the CTX you get target trace (more than one target on the screen), a better (IMO) target I.D., GPS, and a machine that does better in high EMI areas than with the Nox. The Equinox is much less expensive, a quicker processor, handles iron infestation better, finds tiny gold better, is much lighter, and comes with a wireless headphone option. Both machines are waterproof to about the same depth and they both have similar depth capabilities with the same relative size coils. You can't go wrong with either one, but, for the money (and features), the Equinox is a better buy IMO.

Beavertail

Nov 24, 2013
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, minelab equinox 800, e-trac,xterra 305, xterra 705, coiltek wot 7.5-18.75 kHz.
I own both. It honestly depends on what your gonna use it for. If your a beach hunter the nox is better with little gold. But if you want silver the Ctx is hands down my choice. I pretty much know exactly what I’m digging up with the Ctx with the nox not so much. The CTX is untouchable as a silver machine

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Both are excellent machines. Both have their strong points over the other. With the CTX you get target trace (more than one target on the screen), a better (IMO) target I.D., GPS, and a machine that does better in high EMI areas than with the Nox. The Equinox is much less expensive, a quicker processor, handles iron infestation better, finds tiny gold better, is much lighter, and comes with a wireless headphone option. Both machines are waterproof to about the same depth and they both have similar depth capabilities with the same relative size coils. You can't go wrong with either one, but, for the money (and features), the Equinox is a better buy IMO.

I own both and agree with Cudamark on this. I particularly like the EQX processing speed, its sensitivity on very small targets, its simplicity and light weight. It does what I want a detector to do at about 1/3 the price of a CTX. I'll keep the CTX for sure but my "go to" machine is now the EQX 800.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread