central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300;
Tesoro Tiger Shark;
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my humble personal opinion and experience, I have seen such charts and response numbers, and as a CTX 3030 owner, a Whites DFX 300 owner, and a Tesoro Tiger Shark owner,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I say HOGWASH!
Everything, and I mean EVERTHING, effects what numbers and tones show for targets. Soil composition, moisture amount in the soil, minerals in water hunting, depth of targets, exact metallic makeup of the target, size of target, positioning in the ground of targets, angle of the coil to the ground, your detectors settings, proximity to other targets or trash, what color your underwear is that day.
Seriously. There is no shortcut for finding good targets, even with this incredible machine. All of the "charts" I've looked at, are 'air tested'. When is the last time you found a gold ring floating in the air? The soil around my home in NY State, changes drastically on the same property, let alone across the country & world. Swing a worn out thin banded 14K gold ring at an angle in an air test, then dig a hole 6" deep in mineralized soil and try to place that ring in the same position to the coil as in the air test. It ain't going to ring up the same, I'd guarantee it!
Hell, a lot of detectorists wouldn't even dig it following the air test!
Just when you think you know exactly what you are going to be digging up, the world throws you a curve ball. Can you guess them targets a lot? With a ton of experience, Sure. But when you know for sure what you are digging up, it's because you put it in the ground to test it.

Bottom line, If it Sounds good, and Looks good in the ID panel, and gives good VDI numbers, "DIG IT". IF only two out of those three hold true, "Dig It". If only ONE of those things is "repeatable" as you swing your coil, you best just go ahead and "Dig it".

Ya Dig? Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread