Good place to MD near Indian River

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably going to take my 1st MD trip this week to Indian river/Ocean City. Where would a good place be to go that hasnt been hunted out, or maybe have a chance to find some good loot? I was thinking coin beach, but many people dont seem to be having good luck there recently.

I heard of good finds around 72nd and 79th street in ocean city. People finding old cups and stuff from a ship wreck?

Would coin beach be a good place to go, or go where there are tons of people in the summer like OC beach and look for rings?

I hope maybe this nasty wind we been having the past few days may move that sand around a little and make way for some new finds.... ???

Dcoop

Jan 12, 2009
New Castle,DE
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Just go anywhere down that way,theres really no "hot spots" anymore,We need a good NE'ester,hasnt been one in awhile,did find a silver washington&Indian penny N of the inlet few weeks ago

OP
OP
S

saltfisher

Feb 15, 2009
Ephrata PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if i can find a handfull of clad, just to keep occupied would work for me. :) Would help pay for the gas. ;)

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I understand it is between Dewey Beach and Bethany Beach, near the Indian River Inlet Look for constuction on the bridge at you are in the right place. Good luck :icon_pirat:

Dcoop

Jan 12, 2009
New Castle,DE
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Rt 1 south all the way..the drive is approx. 1 1/2 hrs from Wilm,give or take..
Dont know how familiar you are with down that way so..
Go past Dover,this is roughly half way there
then pass,Lewes,Rehobeth Beach,and Dewey Beach,<Stay on Rt1 all the way>
After you pass Dewey,the Bay will be on your left,you'll see a old Lighthouse like building on the beach.
This is basically where coin Beach is.There are several parts,stretching over the Indian River bridge to
Bethany....there are also several differant parking lots to park at..this time of year some may be roped off.
We just had a Nor Easter..git down there ;D

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
We went down to Coin Beach yesterday. Parked at the Savages Ditch Road parking area north of the inlet and crossed the highway to the access road. The beach seemed to be really sanded in. Found only clad but a guy who was just walking and beach combing handed Oscar a copper coin he eyeballed which was very thin and all markings had worn off. It's slightly larger than a quarter. From what I've read it is typical of the coins found from the shipwreck offshore.

DeHunter

Greenie
Dec 15, 2005
Sussex County, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites Sprectrum XLT
treasurehunter111 said:
How do you get to coin beach. I would be traveling from the Wilmingto De rea. Thanks for any help.

Hello Treasurehunter111,
Coin beach has been the place to go for the old coppers, but since 1981ish, the beach has been routinely filled in with pumped sand and has not done so well for us. Still, after storms, some old copper coins dated circa 1774 can be found. Heading south from Dewey Beach, with the ocean on the left and the bay on the right, look for the old coast guard station on the left, there to the Indian River Inlet, I have in the past found many of the old coppers. Near the old coast guard station, on the right is Savage Ditch. I sometimes park there and walk across the highway to the 4wheeldrive beach entrance and gain access there. Hunting is allowed only east of the dunes.. There used to be a public beach entrance, just before the inlet, called Coin Beach Road, but has been closed many years since a major storm eroded most of it. I have not found any in recent years, but some of my friends have. We have a club which meets every third Wednesday of the month at the old Georgetown Delaware train station depot, at 7 pm. All are welcome. For more info/questions call me at 732-1523-xt144. The club has been around since the early 70's and is called Mason Dixen Treasure Club. Many members will bring in some interesting finds of the month for display and will answer most questions. Happy hunting to all and take care.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I live in Maryland, but I have hunted coin beach many times. I have found An old navy style anchor and many modern coins on the north side of the inlet but no old gold or copper coins. Coin beach is actually the beach north of the inlet approximately 200 yds north to app. just past the old life saving station. Now however, I have found on the south side of the inlet, a gold ring with a 1ct diamond and 2 small emerals plus a silver chain& St. Christopher metal And many quaters. The best place for quaters is at the cross walks from beach to lot. Usually on the beach side. The ring & metal were at the surf line at low tide. I am planning a visit to the inlet this spring to look for the Captain Kid treasure of the four chests he barried just before he was captured and hung. The old story looks authenic. Maybe some of you guys or gals will see me down there. I drive a very small [21'] blue and white MH built on a dodge truck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread