DELAWARE BEACHES PRODUCING ANY GOOD FINDS ?

JohnDE

Jan 8, 2007
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, MINELAB E-TRAC, X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heading down to coin beach this weekend.. I can't deal with the traffic in the summer so I go in the off season. I was spoiled growing up 10 mins from the beach on Long Island.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get much on LI? My daughter lives near Medford. I found a copper (18th century) in my dig bag from this weekend, but do not remember digging one. sometimes I just throw the smaller sand clumps in my bucket, maybe I just missed it, or am getting old. Found a LOT of sinkers this time around.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went down Friday. Was going to stay the night into Saturday but it was too blasted hot. You can now officially rename "coin beach" as "sinker beach". The Corps of Engineers has at least 20' of sand on the old beach, and yes, there are some older pieces on it, I found a piece of 18th century pottery and two pieces of ships plating on it, but found at least 5 POUNDS of sinkers dredged out of the inlet. FYI

mattyshore

Jul 16, 2013
Westbury, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your on the money with that description Smokey. All I was getting was junk. It was a big waste of time and the first day I struck out in a year of detecting. I was excited to check out coin beach but now I will just hope for a big noreaster to come up and take off that 20' of sand.

Long Island has produced a few good finds. a few silver Rosies and Mecury Dimes, a ton of clad, a gold hoop earing but I have found a small lead soldier with a moveable gun arm. I found in next to the fountain in the garden of an old Gold Coast mansion in Muttontown, NY. I search all over there as I have more land to hunt for free from the towns I never run out of places to hunt. Even though I find mostly junk in Delaware I still hold out there is a good find. Out east where your daughter is you might find more historical items and Suffolk county is slower to develop. They do require a permit to hunt out there Nassau has permit free hunting at any Town of Hempstead parks or properties. I still wont dig on ball fields or soccer fields but on the sidelines I will. The town puts a lot of work in keeping the sports fields looking good. Good luck and happy hunting!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing with coin beach, is that so MUCH sand was moved, it is impossible to know what levels the old stuff wound up in. It's probably scattered in all levels. I heard a few weeks ago someone found a few coppers. I'm going back in about a week, because the stuff didn't really go anywhere. It's just going to take time to figure out where it went. There is that post tropical system going through now.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the 3 day noreaster hit. Found some small pieces of ships brass, and trash. Nothing more. You can't even get access to the bridge area, they are bringing in huge rocks to help make a new dune. Got it roped off. Had to go a mile north and walk across the interstate. Found a nice, huge conch shell and some 18th century sea glass though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread