Buried Treasure , Lower part of sussex ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Bedford gazette. (Bedford, Pa.), 06 Nov. 1857.

Untitled1.jpg

The Bedford gazette. (Bedford, Pa.) 1805-current, November 06, 1857, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Untitled.jpg

I see nothing of Delaware

[h=1]FORMER EXECUTIONS FOR PIRACY.; CONFESSIONS OF THE PIRATE GIBBS. THE STORY OF A DUTCH GIRL. BURIED TREASURE. THE LAST SCENE.[/h] [h=6]Published: July 14, 1860[/h]
Scattered through the fragmentary confessions of this hardened criminal we find several allusions to buried treasure, amassed in his nefarious business, and concealed at various points. Mr. MORRIS, however, considers that these stories were fabricated, with a view to induce the turnkeys of the prison to release him and aid in searching for the money. "I have in the West Indies, buried in specie," says GIBBS in one part of these confessions, "the sum of $150,000, and have also in the hands of a person in Buenos Ayres, who I am confident, will apply it as I desire, $50,000." In another place he says: "The quantity of money buried in different parts of the West India Islands is beyond calculation. Immense treasures have been secreted there; a great portion of which will never be found, those who buried it having died or been lost at sea." In alluding to measures for the suppression of piracy, GIBBS said: "The American and other cruisers in the West Indies are of very little use in the suppression of piracy. The pirates always know where they are, but they know but little about the pirates. I have frequented the coffee-houses at Havana for the purpose of ascertaining from American and British officers, with whom I would become acquainted, where they were going, in order to avoid them."

http://www.nytimes.com/1860/07/14/n...bbs-story-dutch-girl-buried.html?pagewanted=2

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread