How many of us out there in DE

vince_sr

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
Milford DE
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Jim DE said:
I would like to get a rough idea of how many DE MD'ers are out here? With the exception of the beaches I haven't seen another person detecting in 6-7 years on DE lands. Please chime in if you regularly detect in DE.

I live in Milford De, and am new to coin detecting and tresure hunting. I'd love to join a club in central or lower Delaware. I've hunted a few De beaches, and Ocean City Md beaches.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
I detect in Delaware, or as I like to call it "hunt". I live in lower Sussex at the beach. I'll hunt many of the beaches from Fenwick to Lewes with my favorites being between Lewes and Fenwick. ;D Haven't found many things at coin beach but we (my hunting buddy and I) did find a shoe buckle there back in the Fall, pretty cool find and little doubt it's from the Faithful Steward.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/Donny1994/Beachcombing/Nov04_0007-1.jpg

It's been a while since we had a good wind blow, looking forward to another storm.

JohnDE

Jan 8, 2007
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, MINELAB E-TRAC, X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from the New Castle area. Been detecting about 20 years Plus. Don't belong to the Club yet but hopfully in the Fall i will join. Want to Talk Metal Detecting feel Free to reply.

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
coinfinder1 said:
I'm from the New Castle area. Been detecting about 20 years Plus. Don't belong to the Club yet but hopfully in the Fall i will join. Want to Talk Metal Detecting feel Free to reply.
I live over in Elkton, MD. Still trying to "break in" to detecting, but having a rough go getting started. Not sure what I'm doing etc LOL Ever detect down in the old New Castle area. Has to be lots of interesting sites down that way. Getting permission or finding areas that way I always thought would be difficult tho.

JohnDE

Jan 8, 2007
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, MINELAB E-TRAC, X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, Hunting in the Historical New Castle Area is basically Off Limits including detecting "On The Green" and Battery Park itself since i seen a sign posting stating this. There are Residential Properties in that area that look like Great area's to detect but you have to get Permission and majority of them don't welcome detectorist. Maybe if you have a Friend or Family member you might score here. Before all the Changes years ago i did find a 1811 Copper, Few Indianhead Pennies, Merc's, Eagle "A" Military Button, etc. I'm sure if you talk to some Older Seasoned detectorist they probably can tell you some interesting stories about detecting in the New Castle area before all the regulations regarding Metal Detecting took effect.

MystikNinja

Aug 30, 2008
I'm new to detecting, and live in Delaware, just got my first one a couple of days, a Garret Ace 250, Don't know what to think of it yet, haven't really had too much time to play with it yet. I've taken it out to a couple of beaches, but found nothing yet. If anyone has any hints, or suggest some places that a beginner can go, I'm all ears.

But just wanted to chime in, and say Hi to everyone, and get my first post out of the way.

Hope to be adding many more posts, as well as pics of any and all finds.

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Jim DE
How about some "Celtic" sites w/writting :thumbsup:
That go back about 2500 years ago! :o
Up and down The Rio Grande, The Colorado & The Red Rivers !
Nay! :icon_jokercolor:
Thou sayst !
How about coming out and I'll be glad to show them to you!
Plus!
Some "Celtic" Solstice Sites!

SpectrumKevin

Nov 12, 2009
Pretty funny reading this thread. Check out JBS posts and check out the club meetings. JBS is an old detecting buddy. He's a legend, his finds are so good some have been known to doubt them. I can tell you not only are they real but he's left out his best! Some other guys who mentioned the club I assume I know you since I was there most every meeting until 2009. My ID will tell you who I am. The club pres Rich is a great guy too. Gurnie's another good guy in our club. I helped him dig a US plate from frozen ground.

As JBS mentioned, a number of us have hammered the ever living carp out of a lot of the Newark area for a long time. Probably a 100 coppers minimum have been pulled from the Glascow park among all of us from the First State Club. I dug maybe 25 myself, JBS many more, the club president many more. (that was over years of hunting the site) It's gonna be a tough nut to crack now; best bet is to visit the club and beg someone to show you or describe a few hot spots.

Iron Hill has produced some great finds, but it is tough and lonely hunting. It has strong potential for Rev War finds all over it. Don't worry about the alternative lifestyle folks, just always park by pulling straight in; under no circumstances back in. You will need an army entrenching shovel and wouldn't hurt to have a knife-type digger.

I now live in Kentucky and am more or less retired from detecting because of health reasons.

SpectrumKevin

Nov 12, 2009
There was a lot of talk about 2 beach spots downstate. Here's some info

Coin Beach: Long ago there was an historical sign in a parking lot just north of Indian River Inlet that told the story of the Faithful Steward. Maybe a decade ago, I have no sense of time, a storm washed the parking lot away. The spot is accessible only by foot. To get there, you need to pay the day fee unless you have a state of DE parks pass. The park office is the last right before you go over the bridge, it leads to a camping? and fishing area. Then go back toward Dewey and pull into the very next drive on your left, it is a gravel road which leads to the bay or whatever it is back there. Park and walk across the road and up the sand dune and down onto the beach. If the beach is well-cut it can be quite a jump-off, but it may be different now. The exact spot of the Faithful Steward wreck is supposed to be around 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to the Coast Guard station, which is north up the beach. First time I hunted it I met a local guy who is probably a legend. He had half a dozen of the Irish coppers, only 1 which he'd found that day though. He told me it was like 12 or 13 telephone poles from where you walk in. He also told me, and this was verified by many folks, that a major beach replenishment project had really put a damper on finds. That day the only old find I made was a Chinese cash coin of Ching dynasty.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Cecil County Maryland and have detected in Delaware here and there. I do mostly Elk Neck Beach here in Cecil when the gate is open in early fall and late spring. I like woods detecting the best, I have no interest in school yards, I like taking the long hot for old coins, instead of a guarenteed pile of new clad.

vince_sr

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
Milford DE
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
:icon_thumleft: I've been hunting around the Milford area now for a few years. I've turned up lot's of old shot gun shell pieces, parts of chain, farm tools, newer coins, nuts, bolts, and screws by the pound. Even went around some of the ponds, lots of coins, sinkers, fish hooks, car parts... Anybody work on their car parts while they are fishing ?? I did find my neighbors wedding band he lost three years earlier. It was only three inches down in the dirt, by the flower garden he was working on. I haven't found anything exciting yet....

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here Vince, I live in Dover and work in Milford. Find plenty of clad around the ponds.
The only silver I have found so far is in my backyard. 1962 quarter, 1962 dime, and this past Saturday a 1945 quarter.
Have you found any silver in Milford ? its got alot of history.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread