Coin Beach, Delaware

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
Walked way up to Coin Beach and things were sparse as usual (except for the trash). I was excited when I dug the first but realized it was not black sand encrusted and on looking at the reverse saw the word "COPY". Realized that someone had salted the beach,
coinbeach01Large.jpg
coinbeach02Large.jpg

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Unbelievable! AS IF IT'S NOT HARD ENOUGH TRYING TO FIND THE REAL THING.

That kind of Karma will hopefully come back on the guy who did it.
Like I hope what he thinks is his true love, turns out to be a fake.
Ha, like to see him holding onto his fridge at 3 in the morning.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup some comedienne thinks they are funny. coins found on coin beach tend to be Irish and English, not Spanish. the faithfull steward was carrying barrels of Irish and English coins. i know your heart skipped a beat at first though!

OP
OP
Mentz

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Did find an old shoe buckle earlier this year on Coin Beach at a 2 foot depth. Dale Clifton at the Discover Sea Museum infomed that the Manifest of the Faithful Steward listed shoe buckles. Coin Beach is hit or miss and seems like 1 find for 50 trips. Also just after the double Nor'easter (I think 1998) found an old copper too corroded to identify.
Bucklefront.jpg
Buckleside.jpg

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
now that is awesome!! very very cool find! :o

OP
OP
Mentz

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Another Coin Beach find

This was from last year and also very deep. The 4 1/2 inch bronze spike is still imbedded in wood and dated at the museum as between 1765 and 1815. My favorite detector for the deep finds is the Minelab Sovereign Elite, have also used a Fisher CZ20 with great results.
DelawareCoinBeach004Large.jpg

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mentz,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us. This is a great site with great people.
I manage to make it to Delaware Seashore State Park about twice a year and hit the beaches there each time. The swimming beaches have only given me a little bit of clad. I have never had any luck on Coin Beach before. Only found pop tabs and bottle caps, but I know one of these days. You have found some great things and Dale Clifton and the museum are hidden jewels of the Delmarva.

DeHunter

Greenie
Dec 15, 2005
Sussex County, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites Sprectrum XLT
Hhmmnn, Yes, coin beach.. I have spent many, many hours walking that beach expecting to find something special and come home with very little ecept very tired muscles.

In past years, I have found many of the George II & III with the Brittania and Irish Harp on the back, though they come few and far between now since all the beach sand is pumped back on there. I do have one pie shaped spanish silver in excellent condition from there also, but the rest are british/Irish coppers. ( not counting all the american silver and clad)

Just posting this to give some encouragement, but that beach is only producing after a big blow nowadays.....but I continue to be drawn to it, once, twice a year ..waiting for the big blow...lol .

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Hi Fellows

Walked way up to Coin Beach and things were sparse as usual (except for the trash). I was excited when I dug the first but realized it was not black sand encrusted and on looking at the reverse saw the word "COPY". Realized that someone had salted the beach,

I know "Why" you found those fake coins in coin beach. I know the true story behind of who threw those fake coins there with one purpose.

Do you want to know?

Amona

Yeasty

Oct 22, 2007
DELAWARE
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, CTX-17, CTX-6, E-Trac, Explorer SE , Sun Ray X-1 probes, FBS 800, WOT, Garrett Pro-Pointer and modified David Clark headphones
We want tp know! :o

Amona

Apr 11, 2005
Sardinera, Mona Island
Detector(s) used
GTI2500,Seahunter Mark II, Eagle eye two box
Hi Fellows

I couldn't state 100% it is how I suspect, but according with the picture that Mentz posted here I can suspect who or whom were the responsible.

In 2003 there was a terrible incident here in Tr' net among two parties; The people that use LRL or 'Long Range Locator' and the opposite gang, the 'Skeptic'. During that time there was a guy that found a Spanish gold coins using one of those machine, LRL the day after a tropical storm in Coin Beach, Delaware- Sept. or October 2003. That Storm hit that beach all easternshore as far I remember. Then, in the middle of struggle here in one of those "HOT" topic of LRL, he mentioned that he found those coins using a LRL and he posted a picture of the coins, after that the war begun. There was personal insult, threat, accusation, invitation to fight, etc. Many of those were banned.

I know people from both parties, some of them are not longer here in this forum.Some of the skeptic party lived or living(?) in Washington, DC area- VA. May be one of them threw or located those fake coins in coin beach, Delaware to refute the LRL's guy version.

For more information you could ask to Marc or Jeff, They were witness in 2003 of that nasty incident here.

LRL' USER vs. SKEPTICS

Amona

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Mentz said:
Did find an old shoe buckle earlier this year on Coin Beach at a 2 foot depth. Dale Clifton at the Discover Sea Museum infomed that the Manifest of the Faithful Steward listed shoe buckles. Coin Beach is hit or miss and seems like 1 find for 50 trips. Also just after the double Nor'easter (I think 1998) found an old copper too corroded to identify.

Nice buckle, I found one too back in the fall.

Nov04_0007-1.jpg

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thats just bad bad karma on that persons end.. spiteful and deliberate..not good... but I also imagine, your heart did skip a beat on that one..I know mine would.. but you did find a awesome buckle so that kinda balances that copy coin...

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to coin beach with a few members of my group the SPHRG after some Nor'Easter's in the past few years and we have always found a few British coppers. Most were well worn. One of our members found a spoon dating back to the time of the wreck. I also found a silver cross pendant. Here are some of the photo's:
Woody
[email protected]

Attachments

• TonyGeorgeIIISm.JPG
    TonyGeorgeIIISm.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,176
  • P9292712sm.JPG
    P9292712sm.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,776
  • WoodyCoinBeachSm.JPG
    WoodyCoinBeachSm.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,156
  • Pa177459sm.jpg
    Pa177459sm.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 3,034
  • RomanWithSpoonsm.jpg
    RomanWithSpoonsm.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 3,034
  • Coin Beach Spoon Stamp CU.jpg
    Coin Beach Spoon Stamp CU.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 3,136
  • SteveFind.jpg
    SteveFind.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3,124

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Question without intention to insult

The guy with Grey hair that hold a coins and he or she stand on front the SUV, is a lady or male? it's just curious. ???

Arch

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Steve from Staten Island History Hunters.

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The guy with Grey hair that hold a coins and he or she stand on front the SUV, is a lady or male? it's just curious. ???

Arch
That's Steve from Staten Island

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Arch

That's by friend Steve Chiraco from Staten Island he and his wife have found around 12 coins on that beach.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Last time I hunted that beach was 1972. Glad to see it is still producing some goodies.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 18 between 2012 and 2015, don't remember getting one last year and haven't been this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread