Bethany Beach reconstruction

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
Well you can forget the older stuff for years to come. This reconstruction is dumping so much sand on the beach you can't even see the water from the boardwalk. This photo is south end Bethany boardwalk.
Bethanyreconstruction014Large.jpg
These photos are from the north end of Bethany.
Bethanyreconstruction030Large.jpg
Bethanyreconstruction039Large.jpg
This when finished will total a 3 mile length of the beach. They are again pumping in WW2 munitions that were dumpped offshore after the war, they are straining the larger stuff over 1 1/2 inches. So far the finds are .50 cal. bullets and casings and parts of the larger munitions.

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mentz!

I was just out there last week and pulled in 3 of the bullets you speak of and about 7 pounds of the assorted shrapnel that goes with it....and very suprisingly 26 cents in clad! My buddy, John has collected over 260 of the bullets so far. I don't know what he's going to do with them all. I'll be back in the area a few days before Christmas checking it out some more...hey, ya never know!

CYA out there!
Goalrush

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
I have talked with some of the crew hired to pump the sand, they found a couple live munitions but the filters did catch them. I hit it up after a storm and it was crazy, all of this below was had in a few hours. If anyone could identify the smaller pieces it would be appreciated, I thought they were pieces of ammo belts that hold the 50 cal bullets but others have said they are not but couldn't tell what they are.

IMG_4141-03.jpg

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey L_Bo!

Nice digs! The guy that runs the metal detecting shop in Fenwick Island (not on Rt. 1) can tell you what the smaller pieces are from. BTW, my buddies count for bullets is now over 500! I haven't been back there since around Christmas.

Happy hunting!

Rick @ the Goalrush

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Yeah I had Dale look at them and he wasn't sure at first but suspected they were articulating belts that hold the ammo together.

OP
OP
Mentz

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bethany recoveries

I believe the circular articles are parts to munition fuses, the rectangular items appear brass and would not be pieces of .50 cal. ammunition belts as those links were made from disintegrating steel links that were treated against rusting. The items being found now were pumped in also about 5 years ago on the last replenishment.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Re: Bethany recoveries

Mentz said:
I believe the circular articles are parts to munition fuses, the rectangular items appear brass and would not be pieces of .50 cal. ammunition belts as those links were made from disintegrating steel links that were treated against rusting. The items being found now were pumped in also about 5 years ago on the last replenishment.

Do you happen to know, or can you speculate, what the brass links could be? Fragments of hand grenades have also been mentioned to me however the links are just that, links as far as I can tell. They seem to be fairly flat, no curvature to form a sphere of some type. What's interesting is they appear to have groves on one side, perfect for teeth to advance or grab into, and there are rips on each end. Here is another picture I forgot I had with a little more detail.
IMG_4150-02.jpg

I remember "talk" of old ammo being found during the last replenishment...... I wasn't into hunting though at the time. I spoke with a WWII veteran on the beach one of those days hunting who actually participated in target practice there. He said they would set their guns up from an area on land (where Sea Colony is today) and would shoot at targets out off the coast line. He also mentioned some controversy about whether the spent ammo was being dumped or not. He laughed, knowing how politically incorrect that practice would be today. I was so interested in the conversation I neglected to ask him what he thought those pieces could be. :D

OP
OP
Mentz

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Articles found on beach

My guess is considering that they are along with the fuse parts they may be shrapnel from artillery shells fired over the water. The fuses would explode the shells causing the shrapnel to fly about. According to Bill Winkler at the Treasure Quest Shoppe in Ocean View the .50 cal and possible artillery was fired out over the water at night to keep away the German U boats that were ever present, as at night they would surface to recharge their batteries.

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
Re: Bethany recoveries

L_Bo said:
Mentz said:

Do you happen to know, or can you speculate, what the brass links could be? Fragments of hand grenades have also been mentioned to me however the links are just that, links as far as I can tell. They seem to be fairly flat, no curvature to form a sphere of some type. What's interesting is they appear to have groves on one side, perfect for teeth to advance or grab into, and there are rips on each end. Here is another picture I forgot I had with a little more detail.
IMG_4150-02.jpg

I remember "talk" of old ammo being found during the last replenishment...... I wasn't into hunting though at the time. I spoke with a WWII veteran on the beach one of those days hunting who actually participated in target practice there. He said they would set their guns up from an area on land (where Sea Colony is today) and would shoot at targets out off the coast line. He also mentioned some controversy about whether the spent ammo was being dumped or not. He laughed, knowing how politically incorrect that practice would be today. I was so interested in the conversation I neglected to ask him what he thought those pieces could be. :D

Those pieces are artillery shell fragments.

L_Bo

Oct 30, 2007
MD & DE beaches
Found some more military stuff today, and a $100 Peso!!!!

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

Then I learned the peso was devalued, this coin was taken out of circulation in 1993 :lol: At least it's unique.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
And as of June 2009

It still sucks!!!

They're doing the replenishing again, and it's just the same WWII stuff in the photos above.

TONS of it! Tinier than ever!

OP
OP
Mentz

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
The ships in the photo pump sand and debris through a flexible tube from the ships to the beach. The small boat is constantly running back and forth taking depth readings to control the amount of sand removed from each location.
Bethanyreconstruction001Large.jpg

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from BB. Had an in depth conversation with a gentleman famililar with the beach replenishment process. Here is what he said.

The sand and debris is pumped onto the beach into a large cage without a bottom. The cage acts as a filter and catches all itemes larger than 1-1/2 inches while the sand blows through. When the cage is full the simply move it down the beach a bit leaving the large pile of debris. From what he said, as a cost cutting move the debris was then simply buried on the beach.

Still I found nothing but shrapnel. Had better luck in OC

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isnt it possible that if the dredge happens near an old wreck it could pump some coins onto the beach? I have a friend who
says he has found some Irish copper following beach replenishment

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread