Deteknix Diamond Digger Quick Overview/Review

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i am going to get one to try it out .. I have to see how it is for myself ...

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the vid and the review.

I've been on the fence about getting a digger made exclusively for metal detecting not only because of the price but also the fact that I really like a tool with a thin blade. They all look pretty nice but after trying a few lawn & garden type diggers early that worked okay but not as well as I had hoped, I discovered the Fiskar's Big Grip digger. It ain't no Lesche tool but it works surprisingly well for the money and it's great for a newbie.

Fiskars Big Grip.jpg

I bought 4 of these from Walmart for around 8 bucks each before I took a few kids out on a hunt last year and found that not only did I like it, I actually LOVE this tool. The blade is pretty thin and it cuts PERFECT plugs that go back in the ground without even wilting the grass.
The SHARP, serrated edge cuts right through roots like a mini saw. It's also WAY better than similar tools I have tried due to the longer, thin yet strong blade.

The only drawback I found is that my first one did weaken and break right where the handle and blade meet after maybe 4 months of really heavy, daily use. I took a close look at it after it broke and came up with a simple solution to that single weakness. Since I actually enjoy doing mods I decided to try it out.

I had a buddy weld up and strengthen the weak spot (on both sides) on the next one and really stiffened it up good. I'm still using it and it's as strong as ever with no sign of weakening whatsoever. I also sharpened the non serrated side on a grinder and it cuts extremely well; even better than the factory edge (which also worked very well). Then I ground the forked tip down on one of them to see if that would be an improvement. It works fine but I honestly didn't notice any dramatic difference either way.

I may get a "real" digger at some point and if I do I'll probably go with the Deteknix based on the fact that I bought an XPointer and really LOVE the thing.

But if anyone needs a digger that works really well for less than 10 bucks, you definitely can't go wrong with the Fiskars. At that price not only does it not matter if it eventually breaks because you're not out any money; they're also great to have around if you take kids hunting like I sometimes do. You can also get one on Amazon with a sheath for around 12 bucks. The ones I got off the shelf at Walmart only came with a pretty cheesy clear plastic snap on cover with no belt loop.

But if that's not your thing, the Diamond Digger looks pretty darn nice as well. If it's as great as their pinpointers it should be a great tool at a great price.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used mine hard and cut through roots with it. I like the handle much better than the Lesche. It is a good tool.

Attachments

• IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    IMG_20151221_150213.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 299
OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
I've used mine hard and cut through roots with it. I like the handle much better than the Lesche. It is a good tool.
So far I think I have to agree with you Terry!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good video, MDG. DD is next on my list.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, especially the bright handle. Need to buy one, I've got that nice polished hori hori with the black synethetic handle but i've already been told it looks to much like a weapon.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got that nice polished hori hori with the black synethetic handle but i've already been told it looks to much like a weapon.

That person needs to be told to take a lang walk off a short whatever.

The simple fact a metal detector is in hand should alleviate any concerns on the matter...IMO only of course.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well its not your typical looking hori hori, it does look more like a rather large knife at distance. Let me find it.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was guessing that was the one. Almost bought it myself until I received 2X wood handled ones for Christmas.

IDK...I guess looking at it again I can see somebody causing alarm over it. Takes all kinds....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Diamond Digger - and the Lesche, are both designed to pry, as well as dig. The tool above will cut a plug, but it won't cut through 1/4" - 1/2" roots, or pry a rock out of a hole without breaking. If the Diamond Digger is the same price as the Lesche #48, or less, the DD is the tool to buy in my opinion. :skullflag:

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
On another note the Diamond digger made friends with Buzz Wilsons Sheath :) I am happy about this!
Buzz-Wilson-Diamond-Digger.jpg

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Diamond Digger - and the Lesche, are both designed to pry, as well as dig. The tool above will cut a plug, but it won't cut through 1/4" - 1/2" roots, or pry a rock out of a hole without breaking. If the Diamond Digger is the same price as the Lesche #48, or less, the DD is the tool to buy in my opinion. :skullflag:

The serations are razor sharp but your right its not good at all for prying. Ill use it just for plants as intended.

Rusty Nails

Oct 28, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's 5900 di pro sl,,,,,,,, Minelab x-terra 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Diamond Digger today and got to use it for an hour and a half. I am pleased with what I got out of it today; nice easy neat plugs.

Rickey

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my Diamond Digger yesterday. It's sharper than the Lesche and just feels better in my hand. Probably because the grip has a padded sensation and feels tight. The blade is a tad wider than the Lesche and the serrations are super sharp to a point. It does a better job popping a three sided plug out of the ground, IMO. The cheapie sheath doesn't appear it will last long unless you get used to sliding the DD in smooth blade first. No matter, I have a different holder for my PP and digger.

It's a keeper for sure.

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had mine for some time as far as the tool goes I have no issue, the only minor issue is the sheath, some times it hangs up when I return it,, I did not buy it for the sheath,, I am good ! and would buy it again !

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Quest Diamond digger snapped in half while digging a small plug today.

I'm WELL CHEESED OFF!!

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread