Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Sorry, I don't know what to tell you guys, however Jason has commented on the video so you are welcome to let him know what you think in the comments on Youtube as he is hard to get a hold of elsewhere. If he wants to send me a new machine I will review that one as unbiased as I did this one. On a plus note I think I am going to take the Deus back out to this spot tomorrow to see what goodies might be hiding and relieve some stress of the day. It's not easy being hated on lol.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I don't know what to tell you guys, however Jason has commented on the video so you are welcome to let him know what you think in the comments on Youtube as he is hard to get a hold of elsewhere. If he wants to send me a new machine I will review that one as unbiased as I did this one. On a plus note I think I am going to take the Deus back out to this spot tomorrow to see what goodies might be hiding and relieve some stress of the day. It's not easy being hated on lol.

You have nothing to be sorry about, I think you are owed an apology, i saw that comment. I'm actually shocked that the product was so defective, I hope you do get an opportunity with a fault free unit.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
Things are getting heated on youtube, I also told Jason that the people here at TNet have been awaiting his response as I told him weeks ago to address the issue here, back before that other thread was deleted. His response was shocking.

But for all that want to know.
Upon turning this machine on The Quest Pro was acting as bad as I demonstrated. I cut alot of the mess out of the video and thought it was due to being indoors. I took it outside and it barely worked as demonstrated. I immediately sent a video to Jason and he said turn your discrimination up, at that time I said it is all the way up and I am pretty much notching out everything. I also asked him if it was normal that the audio was very low he said "No" and he will address the issue with the assembly.

So I take the machine inside to investigate and figure lets open this thing up and see whats going on as I can not make things worse. Which at that time I discover the assembly of this machine was shoddy. The ground wire to the lipo battery was screwed down underneath the screw that holds the cover plate down. It is bitten out pretty good. I immediately sent to jason and I have proof of message saying he will bring it to the attention of the factory but apparently he is now blaming me.

I have nothing to gain by displaying the good or bad of this machine. I am an independent and I do not accept any monetary compensation for any video I do. I do not need free machines as I already have my favorites. Unless of course it is a training video and I was hired to do such, which of course I inform the client I am independent still and this is what I do. It is their choice to move forward or not. I let every company know it is at your own discretion to send me stuff.

I am going to attempt to fix this wire because I really want this machine to work as I was hoping and was super excited to receive. If I do indeed get it working I would like to donate it but most likely I will smash it to pieces due to this B.S. I was trying to to go here but this dude is pressing my buttons (and my buttons work) As you all know I like to remain unbiased but it's becoming hard. I don't want to cause a ruckus here so if you all want to get responses from Jason I suggest you do it at Youtube. I have opened the video back up. Please share it.

View the attached picture of what is supposedly my fault as I am being blamed for. Oh yeah on a plus note after I moved that wire out of the way and closed the cover it was able to screw down all the way and the audio connection was then able to make contact thus fixing the audio issue. Sorry to TNet if this post is out of line but it is not trash talk but factual information. I have nothing to gain, nothing to lose. However if this guy keeps pushing the blame on me you will then be able to view a transcript of his text messages to me acknowledging I am not at fault on my personal website.

I also don't take kindly to threats. I am not a new reviewer as I have been called amongst other things.

IMG_0465.JPG Photo Jan 08, 5 21 27 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right, MDG. The black wire is just pushed in, in hopes that it will lay under the circuit board. I can't tell you how many times the same thing happened to me in the burglar and fire alarm business and I also pinched wires (sometimes causing a ground fault).

A 2 cent clip would alleviate the problem. But if the detector got power, the negative battery wire is making at least some connection. And it was stable till you moved it.

Jason needs to learn that when a customer is upset, number one is make the customer happy even if an apology is warranted. Blaming people and making excuses is the fastest way to kill a company's image. The contest was one strike against them. This scenario is not helping. We can now understand why Whites delayed their TreasurePro and Fisher delayed their new F series, even after an announced ship date. It's better to be late and correct, than to push out a product less than correct.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Your right, MDG. The black wire is just pushed in, in hopes that it will lay under the circuit board. I can't tell you how many times the same thing happened to me in the burglar and fire alarm business and I also pinched wires (sometimes causing a ground fault).
Thanks! So you think if I fix this wire it might stabilize this machine? Being the screw is not touching other metal you think it would make it go batty just being connected to plastic. It's not my call on how this dude should run his business but I did make a few suggestions due to the drama I have seen here. If he want to make things right he will. I might attempt a repair on this tomorrow but who knows. I feel I spent too much time already on this.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! So you think if I fix this wire it might stabilize this machine? Being the screw is not touching other metal you think it would make it go batty just being connected to plastic. It's not my call on how this dude should run his business but I did make a few suggestions due to the drama I have seen here. If he want to make things right he will. I might attempt a repair on this tomorrow but who knows. I feel I spent too much time already on this.

I don't think so. The wire looks like it was just crushed by the cover. Even if the wire was bare a touching the screw, I doubt current went any further than the screw. Most grounds are common.

If I had to guess, it sounds, from the actions you performed, like there could be a cold solder joint. That is when something is soldered to the board, and the solder doesn't bead a good connection and the wire/chip/whatever is touching, but if not soldered correctly, it moves ever so slightly. Just light touches of the detector head is enough to make or break the connection.

The fix is to heat the solder so it makes a good connection when it cools. Not suggesting it though. The less you do the better, unless you WANT to forfeit any warranty.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
I don't think so. The wire looks like it was just crushed by the cover. Even if the wire was bare a touching the screw, I doubt current went any further than the screw. Most grounds are common.

If I had to guess, it sounds, from the actions you performed, like there could be a cold solder joint. That is when something is soldered to the board, and the solder doesn't bead a good connection and the wire/chip/whatever is touching, but if not soldered correctly, it moves ever so slightly. Just light touches of the detector head is enough to make or break the connection.

The fix is to heat the solder so it makes a good connection when it cools. Not suggesting it though. The less you do the better, unless you WANT to forfeit any warranty.

Well as for the warranty. I can care less. If I sent this machine back I doubt I will get a replacement. I will check out for any loose connection I have my soldering iron ready to go and can repair it as long as I can see it.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDG, This Jason, Pls enlighten us on who this is and his part in all of this. You are still the top cop in this investigation so keep up the good work and tell it like it is.

QMaze

Aug 3, 2015
Windsor, ON
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1235-X |
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We really need the ShamPow and oxy clean youtube guy to do a parody of that video. Lol

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
MDG, This Jason, Pls enlighten us on who this is and his part in all of this. You are still the top cop in this investigation so keep up the good work and tell it like it is.
Jason is the CEO of Deteknix...Send him a message on YouTube you can find he has commented on this video but has since stopped responding.

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like jason as CEO made a serious error of judgement in trusting you were a unbiased independent tester .
and i feel hes been very careful not to acuse you of things he cant prove .
I personally suspect you have done this hatchet job on the Quest as a favour to a big manufacturer ,which one we will never know .
what is easy to work out is you are not unbiased and should never have been sent a free machine .
And lets face it ,there really is no excuse for opening the machine up ,send it back fine .Open it up and you deserve to be accused of any number of things .
had the video of opening and actually pulling the machine out of box with issue been one take you may have had a very strong defense ,but there is a cut before you show machine, .thats why warranties are vioded the moment you open machine ,but hey oh you didnt pay for it .its win,win for you .
for anyone who is interested in your unbaised views on chinese products here is a statement you make on your own website

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION.......Can I purchase a Cheap China machine to get me started?
NO! DO NOT BUY A CHEAP CHINA MACHINE. For one you will be highly disappointed with the construction and build of the machine that will most likely break very quickly if it even works to begin with. Once you realize it is busted you will have one heck of a time getting a replacement which most likely will be just as defective.

Most importantly though, Cheap China machines are knock-offs usually stolen from professional metal detecting companies which costs them millions of dollars. Why does this matter? Because not supporting real metal detecting manufacturers hurts our economy in addition to the main companies that these bootlegs are stolen from. If these companies don't make money then there will not be new technology machines on the market.

In addition some of the smaller companies can straight up go out of business from the production of these cheap china machines.

The best advice I can give you is to purchase an entry level metal detector from a reputable company, it will pay for itself very quickly.

If you don't want to spend the money or don't have it for a start up machine then head to craigslist or call up your local pawn shops. There are a ton of used metal detectors out there and the name brand machines are built very well by the professional companies so you don't have to worry to much about things not working. Even if you do purchase a used machine the professional manufacturers all all very friendly and usually go out of their way to take care of you. (Most of them)

SO PLEASE DO NOT BUY CHEAP CHINA GARBAGE! You will regret it.

SO REPEAT .
Cheap China machines are knock-offs usually stolen from professional metal detecting companies which costs them millions of dollars. Why does this matter? Because not supporting real metal detecting manufacturers hurts our economy. Un-biased mentality .???
Explains why you get a kick out of punching and kicking it . Beats seeing a psychologist .

Last edited:
OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Looks like jason as CEO made a serious error of judgement in trusting you were a unbiased independent tester .
I personally suspect you have done this hatchet job on the Quest as a favour to a big manufacturer ,which one we will never know .
what is easy to work out is you are not unbiased and should never have been sent a free machine .
And lets face it ,there really is no excuse for opening the machine up ,send it back fine .Open it up and you deserve to be accused of any number of things .
had the video of opening and actually pulling the machine out of box with issue been one take you may have had a very strong defense ,but there is a cut before you show machine, .thats why warranties are vioded the moment you open machine ,but hey oh you didnt pay for it .its win,win for you .
SO REPEAT .
Cheap China machines are knock-offs usually stolen from professional metal detecting companies which costs them millions of dollars. Why does this matter? Because not supporting real metal detecting manufacturers hurts our economy. Un-biased mentality .???
Explains why you get a kick out of punching and kicking it . Beats seeing a psychologist .

Lol nice...I do support a big company...MDG PRODUCTIONS! I have no affiliation with any company. I have a favorite company yes and favorite machine yes, but who doesn't I have the full video if you would like to see it and was being a nice guy to Deteknix and did not show it. I did not hatchet the job. I even told Jason send me a new cover screen without a bubble so I do not have to bring that to light. Once again being a nice guy. He totally ignored that request.

I was excited to get the Quest and I am still trying to get it to work. If I can get it to work I will review it as a working unit. Once again I have no affiliation. As for my website yes I support what I say. I wrote the FAQ years ago and it has no justification on this unit. The reason I wrote that is I purchased that cheap excal knockoff years ago...you know the one it was pretty cheap in cost and build. I tried to return it and had one hell of an issue needless to say I ended up throwing it away.

So yes I stand behind what I say: CHEAP CHINA KNOCKOFFS HURT OUR ECONOMY AND OUR USA MANUFACTURERS.

Besides Deteknix is made in California...Did you happen to notice that or are you just talking blame like you know something I don't, or did you just slip up and reveal you are a Deteknix insider. If so then you know the messages between me and Jason and he knows to send a working unit and I will review it.
Also I am not a moron I know how to turn a screw and open a control box, I know about electronics.. So you are telling me I turned a screw wrong and broke the machine...c'mon bro get real.

So if you want to know the truth before talking smack to me: I told Jason this machine is not working, I sent him multiple videos...He got frustrated with me because his machine did not work. He told me and I quote "forget about it, Keep the Digger and the Accessories, and send the machine back" So I still wanted to review the machine being I put many of hours into this video and my time is worth more then the cost of this machine and I was not just throwing away my footage I worked very hard on.

On another note about Jason should of done his homework on me and realize this is what I do and not calling me a "New video reviewer" and then tossing in some threats. I am not. I do not need his machine I have more than I need. So if he trying to give handouts to people in hopes they will be so excited to get some free gear that they will talk good...THAT AIN'T ME.

As stated if I can get this faulty machine to work as I received it I will give it a proper review. I want it to work! I have no affiliation with any company other than my own. If I am contacted about a machine to review I tell the person or company I tell it how it is. I have also told Jason this and apparently he did not like what I had to say. I am an artist by trade and I express my feeling through video and graphics.

As for beating the machine, It would be a "Psychiatrist" not a "Psychologist" and on that note my Psychiatrist was the one who filmed the video and said it was a great way to relieve the stress this company and machine has caused me.

Get right before you come at me bro!

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for anyone who is interested in your unbaised views on chinese products here is a statement you make on your own website

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION.......Can I purchase a Cheap China machine to get me started?
NO! DO NOT BUY A CHEAP CHINA MACHINE. For one you will be highly disappointed with the construction and build of the machine that will most likely break very quickly if it even works to begin with. Once you realize it is busted you will have one heck of a time getting a replacement which most likely will be just as defective.

Most importantly though, Cheap China machines are knock-offs usually stolen from professional metal detecting companies which costs them millions of dollars. Why does this matter? Because not supporting real metal detecting manufacturers hurts our economy in addition to the main companies that these bootlegs are stolen from. If these companies don't make money then there will not be new technology machines on the market.

In addition some of the smaller companies can straight up go out of business from the production of these cheap china machines.

The best advice I can give you is to purchase an entry level metal detector from a reputable company, it will pay for itself very quickly.

If you don't want to spend the money or don't have it for a start up machine then head to craigslist or call up your local pawn shops. There are a ton of used metal detectors out there and the name brand machines are built very well by the professional companies so you don't have to worry to much about things not working. Even if you do purchase a used machine the professional manufacturers all all very friendly and usually go out of their way to take care of you. (Most of them)

SO PLEASE DO NOT BUY CHEAP CHINA GARBAGE! You will regret it.

SO REPEAT .

MDG has reviewed products from Fisher, Whites, Garrett, and XP...all of them unbiased with pros and cons. If he likes something...he says so. If he does not...he says so. Been that way on his channel for a while now. If Jason did not realize sending a untested unit to be reviewed by MDG could be less than stellar - that is his mistake. There was no hatchet job performed by MDG. He got a dud unit plain and simple. Smacking and shaking the coil silenced the machine down. As previously stated possibly a cold solder joint or a loose connection internally. A broken unit...a dud...a failure.

Jason...as the CEO of a company...should absolutely be careful in not accusing MDG on something he cannot prove. So I actually agree with you there, although not following the point you were making. You however accusing MDG of purposefully breaking the detector is borderline slander. You have zero proof. Obviously he edits the video for Youtube - as he does a fine job of it actually. Saying in between cuts he damaged the detector in an attempt to bash Deteknix is absolute nonsense and unless you have proof you should probably just..shut up...to put it bluntly.

As far as sending the unit back instead of opening it up - I agree with MDG's decision to NOT send it back. He literally gave us information AS-IS. No tricks...no BS...he told the community the truth. If he sent it back and did not say a word that IMO would be the dishonest move. Showing us the Quest and the chatter is legit as it gets. I personally thank him for it. :occasion14: Not to mention he very well might have to wait 6 months to receive a new one if recent activity here on TNET tells us anything.

Opening a detector does not take a degree. Anybody with simple hand tools can get the job done. Waterproof detector or not. MDG certainly has the intelligence to open a detector. Do not make it sound like an engineering degree is needed as we are not idiots here. Insulting our intelligence does you no favors with the community.

Lastly...reading over what MDG has on his page about Chinese detectors....I agree 100% with him as he makes perfectly valid points. He says do not buy cheap Chinese machines. Nowhere does he do not buy quality Chinese products....as that would be foolish. There is nothing wrong with Chinese products....there IS something wrong with "cheap" or "knock-off" Chinese products which is the point he was trying to make. You trying to twist his words and make his point seem otherwise is futile.

It would seem the only mistake Jason made was sending you here to defend him and Deteknix. Oh wait....there was also the contest mistake....the Quest manual mistakes....sending a broken detector for review mistake....

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, reviewing the reviewer, in this case that is way to far out of line. When the machine failed and the truth was reported with video to support it you want to then kill the messenger. We need more like him so that potential buyers can have faith in what is being marketed. MDG, keep on standing your ground, I believe you did the right thing. My thoughts to mr. Jason, if your "stuff" is as good as you think it is then get a function-able machine into the hands of this man and we will follow him through yet another first class review.

OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys I appreciate the support. I would like to respond more but I am being attacked left and right, hahaha....On a plus note I found a hidden menu on the quest and it quieted down a little bit. If this is the case then it is a software issue, which of course I am sure I broke the software being a computer programmer and all. I will try to make a quick video soon if the fists stop flying at me. FTW

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aaa.....I wouldn't pay much attention to the discerning with a few posts and not familiar with TID machines like UK nigel.

I also would be the better man and continue to keep an open dialogue with Deteknix. Nightmares are usually a one time event. I believe what you did was honest, as we watched the opening of the box as well as the frustrations you encountered. Deteknix is "trying" to not be the typical Chinese manufacturer by allowing QC to be done here in the US (a good move over former Asian competitors). But whether your unit was a direct production unit from China (since the European/Asian market seems to be getting the first generation) remains to be seen. Again, Deteknix has said American units would be assembled in Ca with QC done there.

If proper QC is performed, we should never see another black wire crushed in the casing, another bubble in the LCD, and a stable unit. This is growing pains that occur when the lack of details are left unchecked. Deteknix has had a quick 3 strikes and out. But the game is not over. Let's see what they do next time at bat.

nigel

Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL.i have no affiliation with any company,and till today had not heard of Jason .what i do have is a strong dislike for miss representation of information .
Here in Uk we have had enough of it from MSM about iraq,libya ,and syria we dont need it coming into detecting reviews .
But sadly thats how it looks .
i actually left negative comment about Deteknix machine on you-tube a few days ago ,then today it was mentioned Mark had admitted opening the machine up at which point i decided to watch the test video and was shocked at what i saw. Artist .yobbo whos lost the plot ,springs to mind . But now fists are flying and threats being made ,what bullcrap ,there looks to be one victim here and its not you BRO.
Deteknics is touted over here in uk as a chinese product with Californian headquarters .if the machine is assembled in USA thats news to me but assembly is not the same as manufacture i have not been following this machines development closely ,but i thought it was chinese assembled which is not a bad thing in any way ,but maybe you consider that statement wrong and would like to tell us chinese can only manufacture well for others to assemble.. Its clear much of FT parts are sourced in china and assembled in USA so not much difference really.
But this all centres around the refusal to return a machine he claimed to be defective and untampered with .
IF as you say they are made in usa ,getting it swapped should have been no big issue .
As for a artist feeling he had so much time already wrapped in the machine videoing the opening of a box i find that quite laughable .
i will shut up because at the end of the day the longer this post drags on the more publicity Mike gets for being mean and nasty to deteknix and thier machine (his punch/kick bag).if you find his reviewing style fun to watch ,each to thier own ,abuse is abuse .
i didnt find Hardy hitting Laurel funny ,but many did ,whatever gives you kicks .

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well.....over here we take the freedom of choice seriously. MDG chooses whether he wants to investigate it on his own or hand it back not knowing what the truth may be.

As far as political points, become a Charter member and there's a special forum for members to post. Not here.

I saw MDGs video as informative. What "could" be expected. There are other video's that don't show the problems MDG had. Maybe "they" sent one back to get a new one (that has prop[er QC). Who knows.

Anyone can play devils advocate. And even here, you have that right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
metaldetectorguy

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
LOL.i have no affiliation with any company,and till today had not heard of Jason .what i do have is a strong dislike for miss representation of information .
Here in Uk we have had enough of it from MSM about iraq,libya ,and syria we dont need it coming into detecting reviews .
But sadly thats how it looks .
i actually left negative comment about Deteknix machine on you-tube a few days ago ,then today it was mentioned Mark had admitted opening the machine up at which point i decided to watch the test video and was shocked at what i saw. Artist .yobbo whos lost the plot ,springs to mind . But now fists are flying and threats being made ,what bullcrap ,there looks to be one victim here and its not you BRO.
Deteknics is touted over here in uk as a chinese product with Californian headquarters .if the machine is assembled in USA thats news to me but assembly is not the same as manufacture i have not been following this machines development closely ,but i thought it was chinese assembled which is not a bad thing in any way ,but maybe you consider that statement wrong and would like to tell us chinese can only manufacture well for others to assemble.. Its clear much of FT parts are sourced in china and assembled in USA so not much difference really.
But this all centres around the refusal to return a machine he claimed to be defective and untampered with .
IF as you say they are made in usa ,getting it swapped should have been no big issue .
As for a artist feeling he had so much time already wrapped in the machine videoing the opening of a box i find that quite laughable .
i will shut up because at the end of the day the longer this post drags on the more publicity Mike gets for being mean and nasty to deteknix and thier machine (his punch/kick bag).if you find his reviewing style fun to watch ,each to thier own ,abuse is abuse .
i didnt find Hardy hitting Laurel funny ,but many did ,whatever gives you kicks .

I don't have time to entertain people like you...Get on my level before you address me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions