XP Deus

mrix2000

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Christchurch Dorset near Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all, I am in search of information on a fairly new metal detector called the XP Deus.
Are any of you using it? Currently I am using a Minelab E-Trac but am interested / curious in the Deus.
I cant seem to find hardly any reviews that are not biased etc.
Trying to get some real, honest feedback from anyone that has actually purchased this brand / model :wink:
Cheers all
mrix

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you have recognised most of the views are biased.

Its not the first detector to transmit between coil and control box by years and its not a feature I would pay for. A return to manufacturer or dealer will be needed when the battery fails and this involves loss of the detector in transit and while the work is being undertaken + extra expense. At least with the Dodds design you could swap out the batteries yourself.

When the detector first came on the market I said I would not be interested until the bugs were worked out. All the other flagship models from XP have chip upgrades sooner or later. The Deus has had several bugs many of which are just annoying plus a few improvements that are really just cosmetic such as programme names over 14 characters being allowed/wrap round programme selection etc.

Important upgrades are that the radio link software was updated and batteries upgraded. Handgrip changed, better camlock fitted.

Performance wise the extra frequencies don't improve much on the poor beach performance of the Goldmaxx/GMaxx/Adventis.
You can't run them at the same time and single frequency and wet salt have never been the best of friends.
On land they have achieved their aim of a more versatile detector. Before you needed a low frequency for depth on pasture but the higher frequency of the Goldmaxx and Goldmaxx Power for ploughed. Now you only need the one detector but its not cheap.

You really should try and borrow one. Its amazing what you can be done in such a small package (hint to Minelab!). For me though I have deeper beach machines, better pasture ones and just as good for plough soil so there's no need to me to upgrade. Might be different for you.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,Ive been off and on this fourm for years now. Not many post. I just bought a deus. I do alot of beach,and part time woods.I also have the excalibur as a second detector which i love. I've had one fisher, 3 whites, about 6 minelabs including the gpx 4500 nugget machine for the beach.I mainly just like turning my machines on and go. I don't like looking at numbers and wasting time looking at and setting up my detector. I like listening to the sound and digging everything. Anyway i love this new machine. It's a little high on price,but worth it. First of all you can adjust it to any length without pushing in thoses metal stubs that stick and are a pain. I can close it up real quick and put it in my car and move to the next spot. At first your confused like with any new detector. But the first day i just went to the beach where i knew i would find alot of coins.I know this beach very well and go every day for 4-6 hours and clean it up so anyone else behind me usaully gives up and finds their own beach. I knew i was going to find some coins,but was surprised at the amount i did find and did very well. The pin point is perfect and right on. I came home and did some air test and found the preset mode i wanted to use for the woods.I found two nice old coins. A silver barbar 1/2 and a one cent [large]. I was lucky that day. The machine is deeper than most regular detectors by ABOUT 4inches or less in preset modes with the small coil. The coild are around $500.00 each. I can't wait to get the bigger coil.When you get a new coil,you must put the coil numbers into the computer that comes with the detector which is called pairing the two.I spent about a day reading the book and seeing the differences in preset modes.The only problem i had was trying to set up my own programs. I finnally got it. If you want to go from one preset program to the next[like if you hit a spot with alot of iron in it]. You just hit the plus or minus button. This machine is easy for all of the pro settings it has.Yes you can find fault with any machine. But i love this machine.It's easy to learn,light,does a great job. The one problem i do have is that i have to carry a shovel which is heavy.The pin point is dead on and i love it. The preset programs are allmost perfect. The general use program is a little weak but is ok. Im using the g-maxx for the woods right now. Im trying a new setting in that program so as to go deeper and get more stuff. I changed the freq from 8k to 18k and and im also going to try 12k in that program. then i changed reactivty to 2. All the preset programs and allmost the same except for two or three areas. One id freq,2 isreactivity and three the disc are all set low like 8. Im going to try and set the disc up to around 70. Ive also been checking the numbers. Seem to be alot on the computer which is alot at first. But after a day . thats not a problem. The numbers show you the ground minerals and that number so you can use that number to set up your machine. It wont take much to hunt what you want and where you want.I can swing the coil fast and it still picks up targets very well. Out of all the machines ive owned. This is the very best machine ive had. I tried the whites dfx. Boy if you never used that machine before. That machine will take you forever to learn and i want to hunt more than try learning a machine that confuses me. This deus is nothing like the dfx. Im sure the dfx is a good machine if your a pro and know every setting and the ground minerails ect.This machine puts me up with the pro as far as settings and isn't confusing. You can learn it within a couple of days. If you use another program instead of general use. You'll be in the pro setting. The beach preset was one number hi for me in the noise department. That i could live with ,but just turned it up one notch and was fine.I love hunting with this machine. Once you find a couple of coins. You'll be confendent with this machine.Hope this helps with a choise.Get it. You won't be sorry.

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used my new Deus for about 6-7 hours.
Pleasure to use compared to E-Trac for long hunts.
Still learning the tones in order to not have a need to look at the screen.
Will it find things the E-Trac won't? I have not done a scientific head to head yet to comment.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking forward to seeing your results Barry.......

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine, Barry. Try one of the lower frequencies when coin hunting in trashy areas. They tend to widen the conductivity scale in the upper (copper/silver) range which makes for a more accurate TID. Let us know how it compares to the Etrac. Must be nice having two of the best to hunt with. :icon_thumright:

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip.
I hunt primarily in very clean plowed and rolled fields.
The Deus really finds those tiny non-ferrous bits and pieces.
I'm trying all the different modes to see which delivers the best results in my conditions.

flenj

May 28, 2011
I have had my Deus for a year now, my find rate has gone right up, four lovely hammerd on Sunday.
Upgraded from ver: 1 to 2 through the USB port no problems, 10 mins: on the computer.
I can detect all day and no shoulder pain, it's so light.
You do not have to send the coil back to have a new battery, you buy a new one in kit form, follow the instuctions and do it yourself. Not that you will need one, it's life is 300 to 400 charges, thas 3-4 years at once a week. I charge mine every two weeks so I might be nearly 83 years old before it starts to fade.
Best wishes from over the pond and "Semper fi" to all former Marines.
John Flen, former Royal Marine

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John - what mode do you tend to use most of the time in your fields?

Digger82

Mar 5, 2009
Finland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,Golden mask 5+, Makro racer 2 pro pack and Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your Deus detectors. For field hunting, i use the GMP program with 12 khz, it seems to be good compromise for both separation and depth.

flenj

May 28, 2011
Hi Barry, I use GM Power on farmland and pasture, Deus fast in my local park. My personal changes are two tones or pitch (lost some tones after 30 years working on power station boiler fronts around the world and 3 or 4 tones does not work for me) also tracking.
Had an hour in my local park, coin shooting with large coil and Deus fast, Disc set at 70. Not a lot left after hammering it for nearly 35 years but managed these between the rubbish.
The medalion says "Field Marshal Lord Roberts of Kandahar", the reverse "Society of Miniature Rifle Clubs". Google says he was a founder of rifle clubs for the common man after realising all the Boars in the Boar war were good shots John.F.

Attachments

• Park Deus 001.JPG
    Park Deus 001.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,008
  • Park Deus 002.JPG
    Park Deus 002.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 994

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised you're using 18k in plowed fields/pasture - I'll assume that you are satisfied with the depth that you are experiencing? I would have thought that you would get better results from using the 12k freq - it seems Digger82 has it set up that way....but the best way to figure out what works best is putting in the hours. Hitting the same area in different modes probably will reveal which works best under those specific conditions. Having the choice of moving from freq to freq with the touch of a button sure makes it easy to figure that out...

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up the XP Deus! It has a ton of features. Will be hunting with it this weekend!

XP Deus

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the recommendation... My wife just surprised me with an early birthday present.... :headbang:

cbcstamp

Jul 25, 2011
Gone hunting

Your video on the deuce from march 27 was one of the best and most informative videos I have seen.

I'm a novice hunter with about 2 years experience with the whites MXT, AT Pro, an a less than productive run with the DFX.

I live in So. California, hunt 3 times a week. Do you feel the XP would be beneficial to me taking into consideration that I hunt mostly for jewelry and coins and a little beach hunting. Cost is always a factor, but it is not the most important factor.

Thank you for you time,

Chuck

Last edited:

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gone hunting

Your video on the deuce from march 27 was one of the best and most informative videos I have seen.

I'm a novice hunter with about 2 years experience with the whites MXT, AT Pro, an a less than productive run with the DFX.

I live in So. California, hunt 3 times a week. Do you feel the XP would be beneficial to me taking into consideration that I hunt mostly for jewelry and coins and a little beach hunting. Cost is always a factor, but it is not the most important factor.

Thank you for you time,

Chuck
Thanks Chuck just pm me if you need any more info. I will be honest I have not tested it on any jewelry finds or hunted in a lot of pull tab trash, yet. As summer approaches I will be heading to the lake to try fresh water dry beach hunting. As far as coins go, its turning into a trash separating gem.
I'm working on a vid for the non motion descrim mode to ferret out the bigger deeper iron for relic hunting. I will be doing so relic hunts in May and want to be ready for the fields...

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gone hunting

Thank you for you time,

Chuck

Gone Hunting is quickly become the "Go to guy" on the XP Deus Metal Detector | Big Boys Hobbies
His videos are great learning tools for everyone!

Plus he is kinda cute! lol In a slobbering snorting English bulldog puppy kinda way! hahahaha

2oldbones

Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, finally an honest review without all the hype. Thanks Brian!
At least you have recognised most of the views are biased.

Its not the first detector to transmit between coil and control box by years and its not a feature I would pay for. A return to manufacturer or dealer will be needed when the battery fails and this involves loss of the detector in transit and while the work is being undertaken + extra expense. At least with the Dodds design you could swap out the batteries yourself.

When the detector first came on the market I said I would not be interested until the bugs were worked out. All the other flagship models from XP have chip upgrades sooner or later. The Deus has had several bugs many of which are just annoying plus a few improvements that are really just cosmetic such as programme names over 14 characters being allowed/wrap round programme selection etc.

Important upgrades are that the radio link software was updated and batteries upgraded. Handgrip changed, better camlock fitted.

Performance wise the extra frequencies don't improve much on the poor beach performance of the Goldmaxx/GMaxx/Adventis.
You can't run them at the same time and single frequency and wet salt have never been the best of friends.
On land they have achieved their aim of a more versatile detector. Before you needed a low frequency for depth on pasture but the higher frequency of the Goldmaxx and Goldmaxx Power for ploughed. Now you only need the one detector but its not cheap.

You really should try and borrow one. Its amazing what you can be done in such a small package (hint to Minelab!). For me though I have deeper beach machines, better pasture ones and just as good for plough soil so there's no need to me to upgrade. Might be different for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions