Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately the Deus doesn't sound anything like that tone generator. That tone generator is very smooth, the Deus not at all. I wish the deus sounded like that.

Might help someone but my search continues!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately the Deus doesn't sound anything like that tone generator. That tone generator is very smooth, the Deus not at all. I wish the deus sounded like that.

Tried V2.0? PS. I couldn't hear anything above 4 kHz?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Deus gets over a single good target the audio sounds very smooth.
unless the target is close to the coil, next to trash, or extremely deep, there should be a smooth entry and exit on your sweep.
Have you compared yours to the online videos? Manipulating audio overload or silencer can have an effect on the response
Setting notch or tone cutoffs next to the VDI # of the desired target can affect the way it sounds also.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the Deus gets over a single good target the audio sounds very smooth.
unless the target is close to the coil, next to trash, or extremely deep, there should be a smooth entry and exit on your sweep.
Have you compared yours to the online videos? Manipulating audio overload or silencer can have an effect on the response
Setting notch or tone cutoffs next to the VDI # of the desired target can affect the way it sounds also.
Are you saying setting the break points close to the targets TID will cause the tone to chop off?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notch can cause the tone to have an abrupt cut off or popping, but tone set close to the target VDI will cause it to drop in and out of the next tone preset and make it sound like an iffy target.
Hence not a smooth signal like Fella might expect. Notch has a somewhat soft edge, especially in v2.0. Version 3.1 seems to have a more precise edge but that might just be my experience.

I also noticed Fella sent his detector in for repairs.
I had received a replacement coil that was programmed in v2 while my control and headphones were v3. I. I paired the coil and re-ran the upgrade to v3.1.
I had experienced some strange behavior with my Deus. Before contacting service, I downgraded my Deus to v2.0 then back up to v3.1.
So far its working as expected. Noticeable issues were; the Deus would occasionally sound like it was over a field of metal. Sometimes it would self heal, other times I just cycled power on the headset and control box to reset it.
Another was a tonal "pop" when I would switch into P/P mode or another program.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Notch can cause the tone to have an abrupt cut off or popping, but tone set close to the target VDI will cause it to drop in and out of the next tone preset and make it sound like an iffy target.
Hence not a smooth signal like Fella might expect. Notch has a somewhat soft edge, especially in v2.0. Version 3.1 seems to have a more precise edge but that might just be my experience.

I also noticed Fella sent his detector in for repairs.
I had received a replacement coil that was programmed in v2 while my control and headphones were v3. I. I paired the coil and re-ran the upgrade to v3.1.
I had experienced some strange behavior with my Deus. Before contacting service, I downgraded my Deus to v2.0 then back up to v3.1.
So far its working as expected. Noticeable issues were; the Deus would occasionally sound like it was over a field of metal. Sometimes it would self heal, other times I just cycled power on the headset and control box to reset it.
Another was a tonal "pop" when I would switch into P/P mode or another program.
Thanks,for the advice!:thumbsup: I haven't seen a lot of on line video's of the Deus actually locating targets,except in bench,or garden test!

OP
OP
Digger2

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What I use if for is to see which sounds I can hear better, then I am able to use these frequencies to program my deus.

When I program 5 tones and I have a middle tone selected for 52, the sound is quite different when I have only 3 tones selected.

While both frequencies selected are the same, the tones generated have a difference by my receiving ear. The duration of the 3 tones sound emitted seem to be less "muddy" (clearer) with a slightly longer duration, While the same frequency in the 5 tones emits a raspier sound.
It's just something I have to live with, kind of like the difference in the sounds between standard and pro mode on my AT Pro.
Roy

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,the tones are different on every machine I've ran. You just have to "learn to read them". I can pretty much call about any target I run across. I set the Higher tones to be the coins I'm hunting,and the pull tabs/foil either get notched out,or have low tones set for them. Makes hunting with your "ears" much easier. High tone,check it out,low tone pass it and keep going!:thumbsup:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah,the tones are different on every machine I've ran. You just have to "learn to read them". I can pretty much call about any target I run across. I set the Higher tones to be the coins I'm hunting,and the pull tabs/foil either get notched out,or have low tones set for them. Makes hunting with your "ears" much easier. High tone,check it out,low tone pass it and keep going!:thumbsup:

Good post! Open up the discrimination, lower the iron volume and enjoy...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread