Remote Control Cover

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the same cover and did two things that in my opinion make it work a little better.

First I had a package of small dome shaped self adhesive plastic anti-slip and anti-scratch feet. They are the perfect diameter for attaching to the buttons and are transparent so you can still see the icons. They make it very easy to press the buttons both in and out of the case. Around here ACE Hardware carries then where the felt protectors are.

More importantly the stem cover that comes on the Deus that some are attaching to the case to make it clip on the stem has a problem. The small nub on the bottom that snaps in to the stem is not very robust and inadequate in my opinion for attaching the case and remote to the XP.

If you compare the nub to the one on the bottom of the remote you will see that it is poorly molded and does not make for secure locking when attached. I thought mine was damaged or defective and bought a new one; it was just as bad.

The solution for me was to carefully drill a hole through both the case and glued on stem cover through which a small headed bolt replaces the nub to provide a secure click-in for attachment.

I first drilled the hole in the stock stem cover (location is critical) and then through the case with the stem cover taped in place. I took a small screw and made a steel nub to replace the one drilled away on the stem cover. It has a very thin domed head that keeps it from coming through the case.

I sanded the stem cover to make the mating surface flat and glued it to the back of the case with the nub inserted from the cover side. The head of the nub is inside the case and covered with a piece of electrical tape.

The attachment is secure and the buttons are easy to press.

nickeltabs

Feb 2, 2013
West Michigan, Holland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
1 Garrett Pro Pointer
1 Lesche Trowel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is that other vid on you tube

Very nice and I like that Velcro Industrial Strength Sticky-Back Hook & Loop Fasteners idea. Here is that other vid on you tube ---The Best XP DEUS Control Unit Waterproof Case--- I saw someone here on the forum lost there remote in the river , this should will help that problem too.

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried the Industrial hook and loop and it is a good way for those that don't want to try gluing and modifying as I discussed above.

The only real issue I had with it was that the case had some movement when pressing the the buttons. Sometimes the force required on the buttons caused the case to hinge slightly forward. It was not enough to cause the case to come off but felt less positive while working the buttons on the remote.

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I wound up taking an Aryca case similar to yours and Dremelling a hole in the back to allow the control box to attach to the stalk normally. I don't need complete watertight integrity, but I wasn't comfortable with the abuse that the control box had been taking prior to that, what with the rain and my gloves smearing mud and sand all over it and such. I will state from experience that this case is extremely durable and is a bit of a hassle to cut through, but I suppose that's a good thing.

The factory attachment seems robust enough to suspend the additional weight of the Aryca, but in the case that it fails, it's not going far. I looped the Aryca lanyard around the control stalk. Can't be too careful, right?

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey... There's not much activity in the ole Deus section, so I thought I'd make a video talking about the two cases I use for my Deus remote! LET THE INSANITY BEGIN!!!

Kinda cool ... couple thing I wonder are when you are holding the grip and moving it around it seems like that caes sticks out real far and is bulky to where you would have a hard time holding on to the grip and moving but at the same time pressing the buttons to make adjustments or use Pinpoint.

Plus it looks hard to see that screen after it's behind that weird silicone on the front.

But my big issue I think is the fact is that thing is so huge you would not be able to control the remote unit with your thumb while holding and moving the detector at the same time.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is what I mean ... you can see it firm grip on the handle ... his thumb is basically Under the very large box ... this would make it VERY hard to move your thumb and still grip the handle at the same time ......

Untitled.png

Anyone find some kind of plain old nothing slimmer case that works for the Deus Remote?

I know most of these are the Huge Clunky waterproof cases ... anything anyone is using that is just more a protective case and smaller and more form fitting?

I see some kind of case 4-sale on E-Bay that ships from the UK that seems like it would be fine.

I am just looking for something to "protect" the remote no make it waterproof or chock resistant .... just enough to keep it getting scratched when it falls or dirt gets on the buttons and screen.

This is about all I have found for the Deus but it seems pretty boring and cheap ..........

About $30 on eBay

Metal Detecting Accessories XP Deus Remote Control Shower Proof Cover Stem Mount | eBay

$T2eC16NHJFwFFZ-+s5ryBSe9!WwWK!~~60_12.JPG

I do like the newer Aryca Wave 2 model ... it doesn't seem a big and bulky and doesn't have the weird hook on top.

And I think this one may be easier to get your thump around to press the buttons while still gripping the handle.

Anyone using the new Aryca Wave 2 model instead of the Aryca Tide / Wave model like in the above video? (BTW that case is now called the Wave like in the OP video not the second video where it was called the Tide)

Here is the link to the Wave 2 model ........

Wave 2 | Aryca Products
Colors ...
Wave2 Photos | Aryca Products

wave-2-black1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the standard silicone case that XP and distributors sell for like $20. It is very form fitting and protects the front from exposure, but the rear speaker vent is open preventing it from being totally waterproof, as I explained in my video. I have 2 of them, thanks to XP's current Spring Promotion that allows you to spend $100 in free accessories when purchasing a Deus package. It does attract dust, but I just wipe it with a slightly wet hand and its like new.

photo (1).JPG

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the standard silicone case that XP and distributors sell for like $20. It is very form fitting and protects the front from exposure, but the rear speaker vent is open preventing it from being totally waterproof, as I explained in my video. I have 2 of them, thanks to XP's current Spring Promotion that allows you to spend $100 in free accessories when purchasing a Deus package. It does attract dust, but I just wipe it with a slightly wet hand and its like new.

View attachment 986664

How is the silicone while it sticks to screen while detecting? is it hard to see the screen? Seems like it would stick to the screen like I can see in this picture and cause it to look bubbly and hard to see maybe.

I will for sure be getting this hopefully before Jun 31st and that's when the Spring special ends and I plan on getting the extra car charger etc. and this may something I might get as well with the extra 100 bucks from XP.

Can you provide anymore pictures of the case with better light or outside?

I like this thing due to it's "Protects" like I want and that's all ... To bad it wasn't like a form fitting Hard Case over the sticky silicone case though.

If you can show any more pics that would be awesome.

Thanks so much

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can show any more pics that would be awesome.

Thanks so much

Well it is the middle of the night, but I have had it out in the sun and have not had any problems with visibility to the screen. The E-Trac was terrible in the sun, with and without a cover. The case does stick to the screen, and I even have the original factory screen plastic still on there, which could cause more glare. But as I said, I have not had one instance of the screen washing out, even with the back light off.

Here are a few pictures of the screen, and in the latter one, I directed a 960 lumen beam of light on the screen. You be the judge.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone use a large Tablet screen protector on this thing? Seems like you could easily cut out a large screen protector for the entire thing somehow (with open buttons).

Maybe though a screen protector to just cover sides and screen etc. to give it a tad bit of protection or something you know.

OP
OP
Silver Simon

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone use a large Tablet screen protector on this thing? Seems like you could easily cut out a large screen protector for the entire thing somehow (with open buttons).

Maybe though a screen protector to just cover sides and screen etc. to give it a tad bit of protection or something you know.

I wish companies would chuck the idea of a glossy finish on expensive electronics. I'd much rather have a quality matte finish that is not prone to scratching or smudging.

As far as a screen protector, I bet you could use those universal/customizable Writeright screen protectors to do the job. They have grid paper on the back, allowing you to easily craft custom cutouts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread