New Dues find a silver the Minelabs missed - trust your ears!

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to a great deal deal from Bart at Big Boy Hobbies I got a Deus to go with the CTX he sold me.

Over the last three weeks a small 40' by 60' front yard of a family members 1902 house has yielded a bunch of stuff to a 705 with a "Digger" coil and the CTX. The coin haul included 31 Wheats, 3 Mercs, 1 Silver Rosie, a 1901 Barber dime, a very nice 1905 Indian an some neat relics. The Minelabs went over this yard for well over 20 hours and that included the 17" CTX coil.

I have only had the Deus two weeks with much to learn. I decided to give 4 hKz a try; 3 Tones, Disc 5, Reactivity 1, Silencer 0, and most everything notched except silver.

After a half hour sweep of a third of the yard I was beginning to think there was nothing good left when I got a faint quick sweet note that repeated 2 ways. The numbers bounced all over from the low 90s down into the 70s with only a small sliver on the right side of the horseshoe.

In other places I may not have persisted in trying to figure out this signal, but took the advice to trust ones ears. Pinpointing gave the small narrow blip that usually indicates a coin. A dig to 7" inches revealed a 1942 Merc in nice condition.

Put the plug back in over the dime and the 705 Digger also yielded a signal and numbers that probably would not have been dug. I will now be trusting my ears more and the screen less.

Luck, persistence or the magic of the Deus?

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
real nice little haul ive found also that it pays ALOT to dig all targets.
it might take longer but could be worth it.:icon_scratch:
HH

Last edited:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it can't i'd a dime at seven inches
I wouldn't hunt with that thing
for the price you paid I would go and get my money back
that to me is not a very good detector
but why I'm here
were is that detector made is made in the U.S.A
or over sea's

OP
OP
P

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but why I'm here
or over sea's

Well, I am still learning the detector. It was almost on edge and the two Minelabs swept that area many times and missed it.

I hope some day to be as good as you and have better equipment.

Made in France as checking their website would show.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but why I'm here
or over sea's

Who said it can't find a dime at 7"? The OP clearly stated he found the dime while running a program with most things discriminated.

Last edited:

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there.
Just an observation but you did say that the 705 did give a signal but one that you may not have dug. If that is the case is it possible that you may have hit it before with the minelabs and decided not to dig?

Not knocking the Deus because I think it is a very good machine. I have owned a Deus and a CTX and to be honest I have been unable to to hit a target with either that the other one would not hit also. But I have also found that the CTX will Id a coin better at depth than the Deus will tone wise and numbers wise.

I set both machines up with a tone break 10 points below the ID number of a dime and the CTX always gives a high tone in a test bed. The Deus may very well mid tone more than high tone on the same dime. Testing in the field on different targets yielded the same results.

To be honest I would not step over one to get to the other on any day. I kept the CTX because of being waterproof and I prefer the wireless set up on the CTX. You can use what ever type of headphones you prefer and still have wireless.

FO

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept the CTX because of being waterproof and I prefer the wireless set up on the CTX. You can use what ever type of headphones you prefer and still have wireless.

FO

You can use any type of headphones with the Deus, with the headphone adapter ($20) attached to the WS4 puck, much like the CTX works. I would love to get a CTX to compliment my Deus, but that will have to wait another year.

OP
OP
P

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there.
Just an observation but you did say that the 705 did give a signal but one that you may not have dug. If that is the case is it possible that you may have hit it before with the minelabs and decided not to dig?

Not knocking the Deus because I think it is a very good machine. I have owned a Deus and a CTX and to be honest I have been unable to to hit a target with either that the other one would not hit also. But I have also found that the CTX will Id a coin better at depth than the Deus will tone wise and numbers wise.

I set both machines up with a tone break 10 points below the ID number of a dime and the CTX always gives a high tone in a test bed. The Deus may very well mid tone more than high tone on the same dime. Testing in the field on different targets yielded the same results.

To be honest I would not step over one to get to the other on any day. I kept the CTX because of being waterproof and I prefer the wireless set up on the CTX. You can use what ever type of headphones you prefer and still have wireless.

FO

TL

You may be right about the Minelabs having hit it before and being ignored.

I agree with you on so far on the tones and ID of the CTX being in its favor over the Deus. With just over three weeks with the Deus I am still missing the higher degree of certainty I get when the Minelabs sounds off. It may yet grow on me, only more time will tell. I keep picking up the Deus for my hunts, but it is struggle not to take the CTX for the more familiar Minelab tones and ID.

The speed of Deus is nice but may not be the deciding factor for me as to which to use most of the time. I will probably keep the Deus for the form factor, weight, portability and the fact that it is less obtrusive when I go places that a lower profile is desirable. I just have to get comfortable with the way it reports detections.

I have the Deus headphone adapter mentioned and it works well in having the same functionality of the CTX wireless. It is less refined and sturdy than the WM10 of the CTX.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TL

You may be right about the Minelabs having hit it before and being ignored.

I agree with you on so far on the tones and ID of the CTX being in its favor over the Deus. With just over three weeks with the Deus I am still missing the higher degree of certainty I get when the Minelabs sounds off. It may yet grow on me, only more time will tell. I keep picking up the Deus for my hunts, but it is struggle not to take the CTX for the more familiar Minelab tones and ID.

The speed of Deus is nice but may not be the deciding factor for me as to which to use most of the time. I will probably keep the Deus for the form factor, weight, portability and the fact that it is less obtrusive when I go places that a lower profile is desirable. I just have to get comfortable with the way it reports detections.

I have the Deus headphone adapter mentioned and it works well in having the same functionality of the CTX wireless. It is less refined and sturdy than the WM10 of the CTX.

I have to agree with you. I am well versed with the CTX and am struggling a bit with the Deus.

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
I am considering buying the Deus, I am curious about this headphone adapter that Vance MDers was talking about but I didn't understand. Is it an all different headset that fit and sound different or what? Are optional headphones better than the WS5 or not?

OP
OP
P

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am considering buying the Deus, I am curious about this headphone adapter that Vance MDers was talking about but I didn't understand. Is it an all different headset that fit and sound different or what? Are optional headphones better than the WS5 or not?

Answered on the other forum where you asked.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deus and CTX are different animals.... I agree the CTX IDs targets at depth a lot better than the Deus.

But I'm of the opinion after my testing that there are things at the fringes of detection depth that the XP will see which the CTX will miss, and vice versa.

A combo of the pair in the hands of a proficent user would be quite effective in getting everything good out of a site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread