A few things I dont particularly like about the Deus

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things I don't particularly like about the Deus

Don't get me wrong ... I simply love my machine.

It's the pin pointing sound that gets anyone within ear shot thinking that I am strangling an infant (when am not using headphones).

And I wish that the last hit numbers would remain on the screen (like a few of my other machines). I find it nice when I pull something great out of the ground then be able to look at the readings to put that in my mind for future reference.

Maybe something for the makers to ponder for the next update. :thumbsup:

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to have the length of time the numbers linger on the screen to be an option, 2 sec, 5 sec, etc, or stay until a new number is detected

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get me wrong ... I simply love my machine.

It's the pin pointing sound that gets anyone within ear shot thinking that I am strangling an infant (when am not using headphones).

And I wish that the last hit numbers would remain on the screen (like a few of my other machines). I find it nice when I pull something great out of the ground then be able to look at the readings to put that in my mind for future reference.

Maybe something for the makers to ponder for the next update. :thumbsup:

Use the coil drag back method, its super fast and accurate. Helps ID on bottle caps as well! ;)

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
What Bart said. Wiggling off is faster, just as accurate, and doesn't produce annoying sounds. I'd go one step further and say that the only thing that I ever use the pinpointer for is sizing the target, and that's only if I suspect that I'm over an aluminum can or jar lid.

However, since we're discussing pinpointing and things that we don't like about the Deus, you brought up a small one that does annoy me - namely, the lack of a "wiggle notch" (does this thing even have a name?) on the front of the coil. It's not a big deal at all and I can pinpoint without it, but the rear of the coil has one, so it's not like XP didn't think the problem over at some point. Why not one on the front? I guess that they wiggle forward in France, but that never felt correct to me. With the amount of thought that they obviously put into the rest of the design, I can't help but think that I'm missing something.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't care for the "clipped" tones. Everything sounded like garbage! It was enough to make me trade it off!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been doing that her the last week or so now.
What does a bottle cap do durning this method to make it stand out so much?

Correct me if I am wrong.

When you back off of a coin, the sound ends abruptly... it's either on or off. A cap will fade when you back off of it... the sound "warbles" a little bit as you pull away.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
The wiggleback method may work for some, but in my experience the "change frequency method" to identify a cap is much more reliable and has not once failed me. Either method can cause you to miss a collocated target if you're not careful. If you're not going to dig, then at least watch for other clues that may point to a collocated target. Also, neither method should be used to to disc really deep caps...just too much real estate between coil and target to be reliable.

Changing freqs to identify a cap: If you're swinging over a cap in 4K hitting high 80s and switch over to 8, 12 or 18K, the VDI will decrease by several points in each freq. Likewise if you're in 18K over the same cap and switch to a lesser freq, the VDI will increase. This is a great way to identify not just caps, but other trash too. When numbers change very little between freqs, targets are usually flat rusty metals (in my experience). If you're swinging over silver or other keeper metals, VDIs will increase with an increase in freq, and decrease with a decrease in freq.

Look for CZ's post on Coop's 4K bottlecap program over at findmall for an even better solution.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't care for the "clipped" tones. Everything sounded like garbage! It was enough to make me trade it off!

I agree that the tones are hard to adjust to. I think that the clipped tones and some of the abrupt sounds are due to the Deus' speed. I am not sure if this is something that can be altered. I know that as you increase the reactivity settings, the sound can get worse. Even so, I have hardly found a need to go past setting 2 on reactivity ever.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that the tones are hard to adjust to. I think that the clipped tones and some of the abrupt sounds are due to the Deus' speed. I am not sure if this is something that can be altered. I know that as you increase the reactivity settings, the sound can get worse. Even so, I have hardly found a need to go past setting 2 on reactivity ever.

Great post GGossage! Changing freq works to!

If you have the reactivity to high tones will be clipped. Adjust the reactivity down and you will get a nice solid tone.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct me if I am wrong.

When you back off of a coin, the sound ends abruptly... it's either on or off. A cap will fade when you back off of it... the sound "warbles" a little bit as you pull away.

You have it backwards. The cap will drop off abruptly and often make an iron grunt. Good way to distinguish caps in a fairly clean area but not necessarily as effective in the midst of trash.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you have the reactivity to high tones will be clipped. Adjust the reactivity down and you will get a nice solid tone.

I used 0 or 1 whatever the lowest setting was. Still couldn't come to terms with em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread