Thanks AT Pro...help wanted

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got into this land metal detecting 3 years ago when I purchased an AT Pro after watching Aquachiggers video of him finding over 6 lbs of large silver coins from the 17 and 1800s. In the 3 years I have owned this great little machine I have had some amazing finds with it. silver coins that go all the way back to the 1600s and many extraordinary artifacts like sword pummels, musket parts and a coin weight, to mention just a few. If I have one issue with the ATP, it is target seperation in an iron patch. The iron really seems to confuse it, even when I am using the smaller coil. But for the money, 600 bucks you are not going to get a better machine....But now it's time to play with the big boys.:metaldetector:

My XP Deus should arrive today or tomorrow and I hope I can get it out for her maiden voyage on the weekend. I ordered it with the 11" coil (I hope I didn't screw up there) because I have read so many good things about that coil. I am hoping that you people that have been using these machines for a while now can give me some advice on settings and freq. #s to use when hitting the fields. I usually hunt for artifacts and old coins so this is where I would like to focus. Also I was hoping that I could find some helpfull videos, like the ones Garrett has produced for their AT series detectors but to date I have only found a few of them that I would class as a tutorial video.

I will be hitting some of the areas I have hammered in the past just to see what the ATP has missed and will post the results on this forum.

Thanks and HH everyone,
ZDD

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your XP DEUS Metal Detector! Your gonna love how simple and good it is in trashe even with the 11" coil

We give all our customers a walk through with their XP purchase with tips and tricks on setting it up. Along with lifetime support with questions and help. Your dealer should be able to help you. If not call us! ;)

I recommend using basic 1 and setting sensitivity around 85 to be stable. Use ground tracking as well. Learn it on one program so when you make changes you can notice them and tweak from there. Many customers try to tweak things before they really know what they are tweaking prolonging their short learning curve.

Congrats again!

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your new machine. I switched from ATP to Deus about (6) weeks ago. You just wait... it is light, fast and wireless... I think that you will like it. I agree, that for the money, the ATP is an awesome machine.

I am a novice hack, so I will let the experts ring in on the programs and settings. I use Basic 1, the first program that comes up when you turn the machine on. I have tried to stick with that program, so as to better learn the new machine...and not frustrate myself.

Andy Sabisch's book is helpful too. It has many helpful tips and explains the features very well.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Deus.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has arrived, now the learning curve begins.
ZDD

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my ATp after getting my Deus, NEVER regretted it.....

No matter who you bought it from, Bart is the best, call him with questions!

Jim

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up date on the first week with the Deus Well it seems that life has managed to get in the way of MDing so I have only had 1 hour with the XPD, I hit 2 spots that I hammered with the ATP and managed to just get a few pennies and a medalian from a saw handle, but I know that some of these finds were missed by the ATP which just goes to show the target separation capeabilities of the XP because these finds were located in trashy areas.
When I was testing it in my yard I was concerned a little because in most programs it would not pick up on a moderen dime, but that was the only coin it wouldn't see. This doesn't really matter that much to me because I didn't get it to find moderen dimes. I hope I can get some time this week to give it a serious testing and report back and hopefully have some questions for you XPerts out there.
thanks for looking & HH everyone,
ZDD

Foot hill

Aug 26, 2013
Ca foot hills. (Central ca.)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and tesoro compadre minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Remember to hold coil away from ground and metal when turning on Until it runs through its start up sequence.

Agree with above two posters to stick to "basic one"Until you've got some confidence, it's still my go to program usually only changing to full tones, then... You never have to mess with writing your tones and set points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
And fast forward to now..................how do you like the Deus after 3 months???

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an ATP user, and I also agree that its the best machine for the money. Upgrading to a Deus is likely in my immediate future, so I'm also interested in how you like the Deus, ZDD.

Dign-nbama

Sep 28, 2012
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, Minelab Etrac,, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really suggest taking $20 and buy Andy's Book on the Deus, reading it while your not able to detect and the learning curve will definitely straighten out easier, but does not take the place of field experience but it is a plus... helped me a lot, I'm not a slow learner, just a fast forgetter,, I can go back and reread an area that I'm having a problem with....HH

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an ATP user, and I also agree that its the best machine for the money. Upgrading to a Deus is likely in my immediate future, so I'm also interested in how you like the Deus, ZDD.

Im about ready to add to my arsenal as well. Choices are the e-trac and deus. Curious to how you make out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread