Does anyone know if the VDI numbers change with coil sizes

Aug 1, 2014
Obtained a new coil, 11x13 and it seems that the VDI numbers have changed for rings and nickels. I was seeing 60-65 for these items and now they are ringing in low 70s with 11x13 coil. I have the profile set to ring all frequencies as 18k. I am not sure if the had to do with ground conditions or not. I probably should have switched back to 9 inch and took some reading but didn't.

Larry

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that affects TID is the larger area of earth covered by the coil. TID should be the same in air, but in the earth, you get changes like mineralization and nearby targets that alter the TID.
When I use 4KHz, I get nickels that ID in the zinc penny range in trashy areas. That's because other targets under the coil blend with the nickel ID.
Raise the reactivity and the ID will be more accurate with the larger coil because it isolates the targets better.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No coil size does not effect ID. Just about everything else does though, lol. You need to concentrate on the audio. It is a MUCH better indication of your target.

OP
OP
ldbburg@gmail.com
Aug 1, 2014
Thanks Bart, I am trying to learn to hunt by sound and am getting better. I miss a lot of good finds by not digging every good tone. Today I went back to the soccer field that a searched with the 9 inch coil and found a lot of things I missed the first time. I put the controller in my pocket and just listened to the headset. image.jpg I am attaching a photo. Hope it works

Thanks again, Larry

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job Larry! Your learning it the right way! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread