Trying Settings for more depth-VIDEO-Input/Opinions appreciated

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Today I took to the field after work and tried adjusting the settings that Seem to effect the depth and speed of the Deus.In the Video I bury A US Dime 10 inches(9 3/4 to be exact).I try all the stock programs and all the programs Ive loaded from the Internet,and a few I made.Then I go thru and properly GB and adjust the settings I believe would help(Im still learning this machine,I appreciate all your Opinions!)I start to get the dime after a few adjustments ,1 by 1 I try each and re swing to see the effect.I also change freq.The test is not perfect,I didnt plan this test out so its real and somewhat raw.After I get everything adjusted I hit the dime np,In fact i could raise the coil(11 inch coil) 4 inches off the ground and still get the dime.I would appreciate all you inputs on what I can do to improve even more.I really think a few more tweeks and Hitting a US dime at 14-15 inches shouldnt be a prob with the 11 inch coil.Thanks for watching and im looking forward to your input Folks. HH Jim T

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good video. Some things I noticed. You were very close to your vehicle. The ole electronics in your vehicle didn't seem to plague your deus. Freshly buried targets seem to get good tone. I don't think my V3i or CTX would have hit the dime in your scenario as good as deus or at all. All deus users should take note. The tilled farm fields is a deus strength, not so with many other detectors. And in Europe thus is typical, not many level fields just stand idle, they are cultivated. You spoke of additional air gap depth. This may or may not play into actual possible inground detection depth. I would venture a guess of NO it won't, meaning burying your dime 3 additional inches in the soil, deus will most likely fail to give tone. That's ok though, knowing you have some allowable air gap in detecting deep items is good, in fact very good. Tracking GB on deus is set default ground level +1. This is the reason for the not so good a tone over your dime. In a field such as the one your in one should run ground level number or maybe up to 3 less points less. Your video also showed if running in maybe reactivity 1 or 2 with silencer at 0 or -1, a broken high tone could be further investigated by dropping reactivity even further to 0 or 1. I was very impress at how consistent the deus gave tone with variations in swing speed. This is a very nice trait for a detector to possess. I don't care much for swing speed sensitive detectors. The deus is very easy to set up to run deep. After watching your video it seems 12khz may be the freq of choice for the farm fields. Lower and high conductors would be picked up. I have 2 deus machines one with 9" coil ans one with 11" coil. Your video again was great and reflects some of the machine's strengths. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Thanks for the great information tnsharpshooter . I am fairly new to the deus yet and I really appreciate folks like yourself with alot of experence taking the time to watch my film for one ,then to give me some good solid info! :thumbsup: I really think the deus should hit that dime buried at 14 inches.The real test tho is putting a nail or 2 in the same hole with the deus and see how much slowing the reactivity down to get the depth,is going to effect our seperation.I will be doing that test next.That filed is just full of Iron.Not many good targets come out of the ground alone anymore,ive hunted that field alot. Thanks Jim T

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember, did you try adjusting your TX power to 3 while in 8, 12, and 18 khz settings. It set to 3(high) in 4 khz and it did sound better to me. Also when you do your coin/nail test at depth ensure coin isn't touching nail. By the way there are no highly experienced deus users, me included. Deus hasn't been in USA long enough IMO plus this new 3,2 version seems to have really improved deus. I think with time many more great things will eventually come to light. And guess what we might even get another update and have to experiment to find even more performance. XP really nailed this detector with the update capability and wireless everything. Price really aint bad either when compared to other supposed flagships. This detector can be used by the very young, young, and old men and women. One can plug in phones and give the wireless phones to someone else and let them listen. Not too shabby. Get your CTX and nokta out and compare with your deus in your videos and maybe find someone with a white's V3i. Would be interesting!!

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great test! Thanks. Could you summarize/list the final settings you found performed the best in your depth test?

OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Using GMPower as a starting point,I found using Reactivity of 2(Try 1 also,You may like it better) and silencer at 0 worked best over all.You need to swing slower,with some space between the coil and the ground,Dragging the coil seemed to break up the signal some.Using manual GB set with a value 2 or 3 points lower than the ground reading also gave me better deep signals.I left the sens at 90.Those 3 adjustments really help with depth,and also effect the recovery speed.The lower the reactivity, the deeper the signal went.I learned alot from Burying that one dime.I recommend everyone try this yourself's.Hope it helped someone like it did myself.HH Jim T

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Using GMPower as a starting point,I found using Reactivity of 2(Try 1 also,You may like it better) and silencer at 0 worked best over all.You need to swing slower,with some space between the coil and the ground,Dragging the coil seemed to break up the signal some.Using manual GB set with a value 2 or 3 points lower than the ground reading also gave me better deep signals.I left the sens at 90.Those 3 adjustments really help with depth,and also effect the recovery speed.The lower the reactivity, the deeper the signal went.I learned alot from Burying that one dime.I recommend everyone try this yourself's.Hope it helped someone like it did myself.HH Jim T

Sounds good! I'll give it a try. I'm still in the middle of my crash course on the Deus and trying to learn from the more experienced.

Thanks again...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread