Ground Notch

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - for some reason the purpose of notching a ground range isn't clicking with me - can someone explain the benefit of doing this for me in laymen's terms.

Thanks!

Probably not the best at explaining this but here goes... you would basically use the ground notch if you were hunting in areas with hot rocks or other ground conditions that was causing your Deus to false a lot. For example, if you like to run your ground balance in tracking mode and you kept falsing a lot at the ground reading of 85-89 you can notch those numbers out to eliminate so much falsing. There is probably a lot more to it, but that is a basic explanation.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but does this mean that if I put my coil over a quarter, or any target, and the ground balance number was 86 at that time (85-89 being notched), that the target would not be detected?

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks but does this mean that if I put my coil over a quarter, or any target, and the ground balance number was 86 at that time (85-89 being notched), that the target would not be detected?

If your GB number was 86 when you hit the Quarter and you have 85-89 notched you will still hit the quarter even if your GB reading is lower or higher than 85-89 that you have notched.

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again. ....so after hearing that, what is really being notched or are the notched numbers just being averaged out as "neutral"?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GB notch has nothing to do with your VDI notch...Its for hot rocks and heavy mineral soils...It stops the chatter..
And let you hunt in it...
I use it all the time when i hunt old camp sites were the was alot of ash and fires..
George

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks George, here's my situation, GB number is 88, no mineralization, (outside an old foundation), once I enter where the house was the GB number drops to 62 and mineralization bar reads about half full, and audio gets noisy, im guessing because of the crushed red brick everywhere, is this when I want to GB notch? Say 60 to 64? Thanks

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks George, here's my situation, GB number is 88, no mineralization, (outside an old foundation), once I enter where the house was the GB number drops to 62 and mineralization bar reads about half full, and audio gets noisy, im guessing because of the crushed red brick everywhere, is this when I want to GB notch? Say 60 to 64? Thanks

It does not hurt to run ground notch..
When it gets noise..Go to ground notch and hit the plus button till u have it notched till 80..Try that..I dont go passed 80..Also really helps if you drop ur tx power down to 2..That should stop all the noise..In that mineral soil to much power is not good...You can even try dropping the sens...Give it a shot and let me know how it works..
George

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do thanks again

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be very careful using notch or to much discrimination. It can and does cause depth loss and a more chattery machine.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be very careful using notch or to much discrimination. It can and does cause depth loss and a more chattery machine.

He is talking about ground notch..
And notching has nothing to do with depth loss...Just discrimination does..
George

OP
OP
Tedyoh

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to be able to get out until Sunday to try, frozen tundra here now. I would still like to know what GB notching actually does to the machine. George, why do you recommend GB notching all the way up to 80? (In my situation where my problem number is around 62)

Last edited:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to be able to get out until Sunday to try, frozen tundra here now. I would still like to know what GB notching actually does to the machine. George, why do you recommend GB notching all the way up to 80? (In my situation where my problem number is around 62)

It notches out the minerals in the ground thats causing ur faulting..
And u notch down not up..
And if 62 is ur problem nothch down to there...No sure why 62 would be a problem though...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread