Tell difference between deep target and deep iron?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my machine, if you move off a few inches of dirt the good signal gets stronger and the iron signal starts to break up. Depends on your machine. Best off digging it.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Switching to 4K can sometimes help with iron. Also, if you can increase your depth through reactivity and sens settings, you might be able to increase silencer and still be able to keep the target within range--the thinking here is increasing silencer should kill the iron, but not affect a good target. Good luck!

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
As I understand it, yes it will affect depth, incrementally with increased filtering. That's why I was suggesting doing what you could to increase depth through Reactivity and Sens, then increase silencer, which would allow you to filter iron, but accept desirable conductors. Another way to differentiate between deep iron and deep desirable targets is to first have as solid a hit as possible on it with solid settings (react/sens/silencer), then change frequencies to see how the signal changes. While not 100% foolproof, it does provide mostly reliable results. The best filter however is to dig the target to validate your settings. Over time you'll learn what to dig and what not to dig.

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all there is not a detector that doesn't get fooled by deep iron every now and then. The rust starts to loose its ferrous makeup turning nonferrous. You have to dig all high tones or you may miss a goodie. Time management while detecting is crucial. What do I mean by this? Why would you want to spend the extra time investigating when you could be putting your coil over a target that has better potential of being a good find. My approach is this. Have I detected in the location before? Did I find any good finds?? Were any deep? Now when I'm in a site and I haven''t had any luck that is when it's time for the "Hail Marry" approach to detecting. Or if I've been finding some good deep finds I may be more open to try and dig a questionable deep target. One can always mark one of those questionable targets and return and look at it more closely. This works more for hunting say home sites versus field relic hunting. Now how to recognize deep iron with deus. . First is the signal a gradual signal as the coil approaches it?? Or does it sound choppy or rise real fast and then drop off? Does it hit in the same place under the coil regardless of which direction the questionable target is approached from? This doesn't help much if only a 2 way or 1 way signal when swept. What does the horseshoe say?? I have only dug one good target with the tip of the horseshoe switching quickly from the right to left or vice versa. How deep is the target? Changing freqs may help but I don't generally do it. Pinpoint the target how big is the target. And while pinpointing do you notice any big iron adjacent to your questionable target. Sometimes you will pick up big iron on the fringes and it will yield a high pretty good sounding tone. The deus is one nice detector.

tnduke

Jun 4, 2014
East TN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Fisher CZ3D,
Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharpshooter, that is a GREAT post! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Duke

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great posts here! TN said it well. I find audio quality is the best bet. Patience and experience and REALLY paying close attention to the differences in audio is the key for me.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
watch the horseshoe, it's accurate even deep. On the right, non ferrous, most of the time, left ferrous most the the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread